10 [40.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma VS Zeuhl
    Posted: February 11 2021 at 04:53
Are you talking small z zeuhl or big Z Zeuhl?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 21:57
^ I guessed that’s what you would say. We are getting too predictable methinks. That’s an option I wish people didn’t include in such things, I guess cause I don’t enjoy negativity or dismissiveness generally.   It often comes across as not open-minded or open-eared enough to me. It’s why I stay out of many Neo-Prog and Prog Metal topics, despite the fact that I have found music to like in every category at PA, and had already in my early years here. I just generally prefer to talk with others about the art that I like with like-minded individuals. That said, I don’t think it’s a good idea to stay too much in one’s own bubble, and being exposed to different opinions/ ideas can be useful since I do think that we should be akways questioning our beliefs and opinions. It’s good to be challenged when it’s constructive especially.

Anyway, this is not one where I would feel comfortable voting either way, but if I had to choose between my Magma albums and every other album that gets included by people in the greater Zeuhl universe (some of which doesn’t imitate Magma and some of which is only arguably Zeuhl) then Magma lamentedly would be gone. Still, no vote partially as it would depend on how narrowly or broadly one uses the Zeuhl term. There is a greater Zeuhl and Zeuhlish umbrella. Some if it imitates Magma, much of it was inspired by it, and some of it can just have a similar sound without being influenced or directly influenced.

By the way, I like the early JRF Magma which some have called more proto-Zeuhl. Magma’s debut is my favourite and would be my favourite album included in the Zeuhl category.

Edited by Logan - February 10 2021 at 22:00
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 17:20
Neither. Emphatically.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 04:42
As good as any, you're welcome. 
Ian

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 21:57
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I cannot agree that all "Zeuhl" bands are imitating Magma. Those that left to form their own bands had ideas that were different and many modern artists have been inspired by the "Zeuhl" sound but embellish or frame it with or within other styles, e.g. Universal Totem Orchestra, All Traps on Earth, Setna, Laurent Thibault, Patrick Gauthier, Zao, Yochk'o Seffer, Bondage Fruit, Koenji Hyakkei, Happy Family, Ruins, and Shub-Niggurath--they all have, to my ears, a distinctive sound or structure that makes them different from those of Magma.

Nailed it, as much as I love Magma I'd miss Setna, Laurent Thibault, Patrick Gauthier, Zao, Yochk'o Seffer, Bondage Fruit, Koenji Hyakkei, Happy Family, Ruins, Shub-Niggurath, Dun, Corima, Combat Astronomy, Eskaton, Guapo, Rhun, Scherzoo, Unit Wail, Vak, Weidorje, Xing Sa more.

Did you just inadvertently list the best places to start with Zeuhl after Magma? If so, thanks for the list.Tongue
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 20:41
I picked "The others" and it was an easy pick even if I love me some MAGMA.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 13:20
If Zeuhl is a separate subgenre, then why not make one for all the ELP clones? I got a name for it. How about SymphoTriorgano'a'palooza-Prog?
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 07:02
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure that a lot of this poll, and some great listings of various bands, is a good thing ... I keep thinking that a Poll about who came first ... the chicken or the egg ... would probably get better results all around ... but I'm not sure that too many folks look at this as a part of the history of music ... just a bunch of this and that by various groups and too much of the stuff is about the "sound" ... and not the music as it should be.

There are way too many out there as good or better than Magma or each other ... but the poll ... kinda hurts ... when it's all about "likes" ... not the music and its internal definitions and value within a timely context ... in which case I would say that Magma might be ahead of the curve, but who knows ... their children went out and did better than dad!

Embarrassed

You do know that this section is specifically for polls and is just a bit of fun right? You don't like polls don't come here.

Apparently they don't like fun in Grok City. I'm beginning to think that's where the Grinch came from LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 06:59
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

And all of prog can be reduced down to being simply "snooty rock" but just like clowns we like to paint it all up with pretty names and rejoice in the synthesis of a newborn fledgling sound wriggling out of its birth canal.

So I was a clown all along. I knew it. I do like Clown Core and circus jazz, so it makes sense.

We all are. It's just that some of us joined the circus instead of going to it once a year Big smile

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 06:07
There should be an option 'I only know Magma of all Zeuhl bands'. In its absence, I have to go with only Magma.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 05:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure that a lot of this poll, and some great listings of various bands, is a good thing ... I keep thinking that a Poll about who came first ... the chicken or the egg ... would probably get better results all around ... but I'm not sure that too many folks look at this as a part of the history of music ... just a bunch of this and that by various groups and too much of the stuff is about the "sound" ... and not the music as it should be.

There are way too many out there as good or better than Magma or each other ... but the poll ... kinda hurts ... when it's all about "likes" ... not the music and its internal definitions and value within a timely context ... in which case I would say that Magma might be ahead of the curve, but who knows ... their children went out and did better than dad!

Embarrassed

You do know that this section is specifically for polls and is just a bit of fun right? You don't like polls don't come here.
Ian

Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 03:02
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

And all of prog can be reduced down to being simply "snooty rock" but just like clowns we like to paint it all up with pretty names and rejoice in the synthesis of a newborn fledgling sound wriggling out of its birth canal.

So I was a clown all along. I knew it. I do like Clown Core and circus jazz, so it makes sense.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 21:55
Hi,

Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 21:20
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

IMO Zeuhl is the most forced subgenre on PA. xd Many so called "zeuhl" bands are just AvantProg or Fusion.

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 20:38
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

IMO Zeuhl is the most forced subgenre on PA. xd Many so called "zeuhl" bands are just AvantProg or Fusion.

But... chanting, or whatever...
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 16:20

Edited by Hrychu - February 08 2021 at 16:20
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Theprogelitist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theprogelitist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 16:00
I don’t like Magma at all but I do like Jannick Top’s Infernal Machina. Furthermore, Eros by Dün and Weidorje S/T are pleasant to these ears
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 10:02
As much as I love some Magma albums, I love more Zeuhl albums not by Magma, than I do Magma albums. The great Magma albums are undoubtedly great, but their discography is definitely not universally great. So if I had to make the choice, as much as it pains me to do it, I would say goodbye to Magma, so that I could still enjoy all those other albums.

And while some Zeuhl bands are almost inarguably Magma clones, most have their own sound that might be influenced by Magma, but is certainly in no way derivative of it. So I definitely don’t agree that “all the other bands are imitating Magma”, though I am sure Cristi was joking anyway. But if they are imitating Magma, a lot of them are doing a piss poor job of it, because they sound nothing like Magma! 😜

Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 09:39
I spend more time listening to Tatsuya Yoshida's or Kido Natsuki's various projects than listening to Magma.
DonovanPunch View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonovanPunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 07:02
Donovan Punch - The Peasants of Arbatox vs Infinity - check me out on YouTube Acoustic Guitar Zeuhl music :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>