Poll Question: O ho ho, gotta choose..
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [60.00%]
10 [40.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma VS Zeuhl
    Posted: November 26 2019 at 04:32
Just curious
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 04:41
aren't all the other bands imitating Magma? LOL
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 05:12
You could also argue that all zeuhl bands sound like modern classical music played with pop-group instrumentation.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 08:10
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

You could also argue that all zeuhl bands sound like modern classical music played with pop-group instrumentation.

Or that all zeuhl bands sound like modern post-spiritual-awakening-John-Coltrane spin-offs playing with pop group instrumentation!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 08:21
I cannot agree that all "Zeuhl" bands are imitating Magma. Those that left to form their own bands had ideas that were different and many modern artists have been inspired by the "Zeuhl" sound but embellish or frame it with or within other styles, e.g. Universal Totem Orchestra, All Traps on Earth, Setna, Laurent Thibault, Patrick Gauthier, Zao, Yochk'o Seffer, Bondage Fruit, Koenji Hyakkei, Happy Family, Ruins, and Shub-Niggurath--they all have, to my ears, a distinctive sound or structure that makes them different from those of Magma.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 08:50
Chinese Zeuhl
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 09:43
I like Universal Totem Orchestra a lot. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 14:38
Magma
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2019 at 10:33
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I cannot agree that all "Zeuhl" bands are imitating Magma. Those that left to form their own bands had ideas that were different and many modern artists have been inspired by the "Zeuhl" sound but embellish or frame it with or within other styles, e.g. Universal Totem Orchestra, All Traps on Earth, Setna, Laurent Thibault, Patrick Gauthier, Zao, Yochk'o Seffer, Bondage Fruit, Koenji Hyakkei, Happy Family, Ruins, and Shub-Niggurath--they all have, to my ears, a distinctive sound or structure that makes them different from those of Magma.
Agreed.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2019 at 18:12
The number of other Zeuhl albums period is probably close to the number of albums in Magma's discography. I like quite a few of those albums, some of them more than Magma, but were I to choose Magma's discography, I think I would be generally left with a more solid set of releases.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2019 at 18:42
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Nailed it, as much as I love Magma I'd miss Setna, Laurent Thibault, Patrick Gauthier, Zao, Yochk'o Seffer, Bondage Fruit, Koenji Hyakkei, Happy Family, Ruins, Shub-Niggurath, Dun, Corima, Combat Astronomy, Eskaton, Guapo, Rhun, Scherzoo, Unit Wail, Vak, Weidorje, Xing Sa more.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2019 at 20:50
I don't know any of these other Zeuhl deals except Magma so I guess I won't vote. But I can't imagine that all of them put together could be as good as MDK.. or other great Magma albums.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 08:26
I interpreted the 2nd option to mean all other Zeuhl groups excluding Magma.  I.e., I could listen to Shub-Niggurath to my heart's content, but was forbidden from listening to MDK.  That is obviously an untenable position, so I had to go with the 1st option.  But that doesn't meant that I ONLY like Magma.  I like a lot of other Zeuhl bands too, just not as much.  Instructions should have been clearer.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 08:54
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

The number of other Zeuhl albums period is probably close to the number of albums in Magma's discography. I like quite a few of those albums, some of them more than Magma, but were I to choose Magma's discography, I think I would be generally left with a more solid set of releases.

LOL

We have 72 non-Magma Zeuhl bands on the site so I'd suggest this is a little bit off. Even if I include the live albums Magma 'only' have 27.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 11:19
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

LOL

We have 72 non-Magma Zeuhl bands on the site so I'd suggest this is a little bit off. Even if I include the live albums Magma 'only' have 27.
...and Ruins alone has 25 live & studio albums.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 12:25
Only Magma.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 06:43
Magma 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
DonovanPunch View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonovanPunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 07:02
Donovan Punch - The Peasants of Arbatox vs Infinity - check me out on YouTube Acoustic Guitar Zeuhl music :-)
Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 09:39
I spend more time listening to Tatsuya Yoshida's or Kido Natsuki's various projects than listening to Magma.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 10:02
As much as I love some Magma albums, I love more Zeuhl albums not by Magma, than I do Magma albums. The great Magma albums are undoubtedly great, but their discography is definitely not universally great. So if I had to make the choice, as much as it pains me to do it, I would say goodbye to Magma, so that I could still enjoy all those other albums.

And while some Zeuhl bands are almost inarguably Magma clones, most have their own sound that might be influenced by Magma, but is certainly in no way derivative of it. So I definitely don’t agree that “all the other bands are imitating Magma”, though I am sure Cristi was joking anyway. But if they are imitating Magma, a lot of them are doing a piss poor job of it, because they sound nothing like Magma! 😜

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>