3 [5.77%]
16 [30.77%]
23 [44.23%]
2 [3.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 14:39
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I got into prog through SBB, which I found by accident while digging for samples.

Who or what is "SBB"? I Googled it and it said SBB stands for Swiss Federal Railways, but that can't be right. Smile

They’re on PA, wanna say they’re eclectic prog

I assumed SBB must be an abbreviation for another well-known band, such as "KC" or "VDGG" Smile
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 14:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm always curious how those under 35 or so get into prog. Is it through their parents or Dream Theater or what. It always interests me because they are obviously to young to have gotten into it during the golden era(even those a little bit older).

I was a fan of Kansas’s prog stuff and some cuts off trick of the tail, but it wasn’t till my friend whose a year younger than me who really likes prog played me Firth Of Fifth in the car and that got me into Genesis. I just expanded from there.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 15:01

I'm always curious how those under 35 or so get into prog. Is it through their parents or Dream Theater or what. It always interests me because they are obviously to young to have gotten into it during the golden era(even those a little bit older).

I was a fan of Kansas’s prog stuff and some cuts off trick of the tail, but it wasn’t till my friend whose a year younger than me who really likes prog played me Firth Of Fifth in the car and that got me into Genesis. I just expanded from there.

But then that begs the question how did your friend get into prog? Wink Sooner or later you can probably draw a line to somebody's parents. Even my dad who was too old to be into prog in the old days had a copy of "The Yes album" which served as some kind of reference point for me(sort of).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 15:07

But then that begs the question how did your friend get into prog? Wink Sooner or later you can probably draw a line to somebody's parents. Even my dad who was too old to be into prog in the old days had a copy of "The Yes album" which served as some kind of reference point for me(sort of).

He got into it through rush and Pink Floyd, though his dad has a decent prog collection.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 30 2019 at 15:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 15:13
It sounds like he got into it through his dad unless his dad got into prog after he did(which I suppose is possible). Lol.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 15:21

It sounds like he got into it through his dad unless his dad got into prog after he did(which I suppose is possible). Lol.

We both were raised listening to classic rock, so we kinda worked our way to it through bands like Led Zeppelin and Deep purple. His dad definitely had a role in it though, he has a ton of prog CDs. My dad is a huge Genesis fan as well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 15:32

We both were raised listening to classic rock, so we kinda worked our way to it through bands like Led Zeppelin and Deep purple. His dad definitely had a role in it though, he has a ton of prog CDs. My dad is a huge Genesis fan as well.

Being that I got into prog during the 80's it was a bit indirect also. Like I said my dad had TYA but that's about it for prog really(a lot of classic rock too and a lot of jazz). My cousin was into Genesis and Yes and at one point asked me if I ever heard of King Crimson. I believe my answer at the time was "no." Also, my uncle(who is now almost 90)got into Pink Floyd later life through some friends(I guess this was the early 80's)but that's just about the only rock band he ever liked. My brother had a friend who was big into Rush so I sort of got into them through him. Also, I sort of toyed around with the guitar and had a guitar book that mentioned Robert Fripp and King Crimson and I also had a rock encyclopedia book that mentioned some prog bands(no real logic behind the progressive rock choices in the book: they had Yes, Genesis, PF, Rush, JT and even Soft Machine, Gong and Marillion but not Camel, VDGG or Gentle Giant).Still, it did help me to get more into prog as did discovering a music magazines a little later. Things just snowballed after I became aware that the bands I liked the most were called "progressive rock."
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 16:33

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Farts Club Band.

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 16:36

This website helped for sure when I was extremely bored in High School, but I got into prog by searching what kind of music I wanted to listen to and I found some prog bands online.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 16:43
Well shoutout to the other person in 15-25 age group hahaha
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 17:10

I'm the wrong person to answer because I'm 50+, but everyone can listen to all kinds of older music, it's all around. When I got into prog it wasn't "golden era" anymore, but that wouldn't stop me from finding good stuff. A bright young person needs to hear one great thing somewhere, then do some research, and build their own taste. It doesn't have to be "through" anyone. (Admittedly I heard my first prog in my father's car, but he wasn't actually that interested. It was just a tape he had flying around. He even thought it was Elton John, but Elton John was on the other side. He reimbursed me because it was his fault I bought the wrong album first, Elton John's Greatest Hits. Actually it was Watch by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. True story, haha!)
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 17:50

Well shoutout to the other person in 15-25 age group hahaha

I wished I was still in that age range! Confused But not too far off though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 10:35
If there was an option of 45-50 there would be about at least half the number there is now because that would mean that typically they(we)would have had to have discovered the genre in the 80's which was definitely not easy to do(trust me). Even worse would be discovering it in the 90's(despite all the talk about a "prog revival")which is why the ten year span before it is even more under represented.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 01 2019 at 10:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123