Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Disappointed, but Perhaps Expectations Were High
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disappointed, but Perhaps Expectations Were High

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 05:13
I wouldn't rather die than lose my sense of hearing. I guess smell would be the first one I would sacrifice.  But even if I were to lose hearing or to have it severely impaired at least I would still have the music in my head.  If you wanted to make me wish to be dead you'd have to take that away from me.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Ridgeback View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgeback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 06:06
I have an update of sorts. Following the advice of my compadres here, I decided to try emailing again. This time I emailed the recording company for Bjorn Riis, Karisma Records. I reached a cool dude named Martin that responded back to me immediately, thought the story was amazing and said he’d forward it to Bjorn. This was a few days ago. Nothing yet. We’ll see if it pans out. There are some interesting prog bands at Karisma it seems. Martin had some good recommendations for me as well. They are worth a check out. Anyway If anyone here knows any members of Airbag let me know and I’ll forward the email over.

Relative to people mentioning they have tinnitus, I did come across a long article and treatment for tinnitus and hearing loss with some studies to support it. It’s compound aldosterone, the hormone that regulates our electrolytes balance (and more). I know people that have had tinnitus for years and compound aldosterone has resolved the issue. Google compound aldosterone for tinnitus and hearing loss by Dr Jonathan Wright.

Anyways the fat lady hasn’t sung yet but she might be warming up.
Alex_C View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex_C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:49
Inspirational story! 
Ridgeback View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgeback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 18:04
Latest update and probably final note to this saga. Well, Bjorn Riis did respond. Thanking me for sending the email and he was thrilled to be part of it. Fairly short and sweet. So I wrote back and said my wife and I will fly out to Oslo (from Boston) to see one of your concerts (if you will be having one) and would you like to meet for beer/coffee and like to hear the whole story. I received back an email stating “We’re busy preparing our new album and our Facebook page lists our upcoming gigs”. Uh thanks? So I wrote back and said I think you misunderstood. My wife and I will spend thousands of dollars to fly to Oslo and see you in concert. Can we grab a beer afterwards?   No response. Shrug. Clearly perspectives differ. Perhaps he’s inundated by fan emails. Idk. Frankly I wished I never bothered. Seems to be a bit of an empty run up a long hill. I am a pretty private guy and I kind of threw this to him and expected too much.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 18:45
You never know, it will be worth going anyway and seeing how things pan out, sometimes in-person circumstances change.

Persistence can be a painful but rewarding virtue.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 20:15
Very inspiring story. Who knows. Maybe one day they will get back to you. I once sent a message to Rick Wakeman(who I heard gets back to his fans)but never got a response. I also was set to do an online interview with a very well known modern US prog band(who shall remain nameless of course) but they never got back to me. I never bought any music by them again. All that success must have gone to their heads. Oh well. I think some musicians need to remind themselves that they put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else.

Regarding your story though I've never heard of anyone losing their hearing for no reason. I have tinnitis in my left ear but apparently no hearing loss(knock on wood). I only really notice it when it's really quiet which typically is only right before I go to bed which is slightly annoying at times. There's no known cure for it though and I think there's even a youtube video where Mike Portnoy who has it talks about it. That would really suck to have no hearing though. Glad you were able to get it back. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 18 2019 at 20:19
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 20:25
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Man, being deaf would sure be a hard thing to deal with, I admire your story!
          What I have is permanent tinnitus (ringing in the ears) in both ears (kind of sounds like a conch shell) but somehow I have got used to it. I can't  go to loud concerts anymore, but still love to listen to music in my home.

I retired from festivals because of my tinnitis(the correct pronunciation is "tin it is" for those wondering). I plan on getting musicians earplugs at some point(when I can afford it). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12