16 [24.24%]
44 [66.67%]
3 [4.55%]
3 [4.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 20:07
DT 
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 21:29
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

DT no question. They started a whole new genre, prog-metal. They were innovaters. Bands today try and sound like them. PT, while great, didn't create anything new.

Porcupine tree by zillion years

DT didn´t started anything and many other bands plays prog metal before DT, try Queenrysche, Fates Warning, Watchtower, Sieges Even, Psychotic Waltz, Mekong Delta, etc.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 22:03
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

DT no question. They started a whole new genre, prog-metal. They were innovaters. Bands today try and sound like them. PT, while great, didn't create anything new.

Porcupine tree by zillion years

DT didn´t started anything and many other bands plays prog metal before DT, try Queenrysche, Fates
Warning, Watchtower, Sieges Even, Psychotic Waltz, Mekong Delta, etc.

That Queensryche may have preceded DT in no way changes the fact that it was DT that made the genre viable in the long term and spawned scores of following groups. Everyone who came after 1992 cites DT as an influence.

And every last member of DT can play/sing circles around his PT counterpart. It's like Les Miserables vs See Spot Run.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 22:08
Dont agree Fischman

Queensryche sold a lost of albums and people forget that, Rage For Order was progresive metal, and Operation Mindcrime  sold a lot too and made the genre viable, not DT.

If you read the zines of that time, the term prog metal or intelligent metal started with Queensryche in 1988, they were very popular in that time
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 23:28
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Dont agree Fischman

Queensryche sold a lost of albums and people forget that, Rage For Order was progresive metal, and Operation Mindcrime  sold a lot too and made the genre viable, not DT.

If you read the zines of that time, the term prog metal or intelligent metal started with Queensryche in 1988, they were very popular in that time

Yep. They sold a lot of albums, including a few to me. Great group! But regarding the current discussion, as you say, they were very popular at the time. They've been irrelevant since Empire. Meanwhile, DT has continued to be the standard bearer for the genre for over a quarter century now. And again, I've never heard a band trying to be Queensryche, but I've heard dozens trying to be DT
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 01:59
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Yep. They sold a lot of albums, including a few to me. Great group! But regarding the current discussion, as you say, they were very popular at the time. They've been irrelevant since Empire. Meanwhile, DT has continued to be the standard bearer for the genre for over a quarter century now. And again, I've never heard a band trying to be Queensryche, but I've heard dozens trying to be DT

Ah we have a typical DT fan here. I agree you with 100% that they master the instrument's very well. Unfortunately that does not help when there is a lack of skill when it comes making compositions. On the other hand, Steven Wilson is a well crafting composer, mixer and a musician. Yes, John Petrucci can do some "epic" things with his guitar and Wilson can't. But is that really cool honestly? And oh, they did not create a genre.

Btw, how many PT/Wilson albums have you listened with a focus?

My sincere regards.

Edited by Foxprog - November 30 2019 at 02:01
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 04:17
I'm not a huge fan of either but PT are leagues ahead of DT. DT are showmen and showoffs. PT at least try to be song writers, and often succeed. DT have never made an album that comes anywhere close to Deadwing or In Absentia.

In fact for my taste, they've never done anything as good as Signify.

Edited by Blacksword - November 30 2019 at 04:18
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 08:10
Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

Ah we have a typical DT fan here. I agree you with 100% that they master the instrument's very well. Unfortunately that does not help when there is a lack of skill when it comes making compositions. On the other hand, Steven Wilson is a well crafting composer, mixer and a musician. Yes, John Petrucci can do some "epic" things with his guitar and Wilson can't. But is that really cool honestly? And oh, they did not create a genre.

Btw, how many PT/Wilson albums have you listened with a focus?

My sincere regards.

You're assuming I have no appreciation for Wilson's composition, which is false.

Btw, thecanswer to your question is 5: Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, and The Incident.

You also seem to assume I blindly soak up technical virtuosity with no concern for composition, which is also false. Yes, DT let their virtuosity tune away with them at times, but for the most part, they have excellent compositions as well. Too many people hear the technical wizardry and just assume it's there to cover a lack of compositional skill, which is just lazy. I can see not liking DT, but people try to mask a purely subjective dislike with made up objective analysis.   
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 08:13
David Lee Roth is a showman. Madonna and Lady Gaga are showoffs.

DT are musicians.

If all you're hearing is showoffs, you're not listening.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 08:38
Maybe Porcupine tree has more good albums thinking about it, but images and words alone is the best album between the two imo.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 09:25

DT are musicians.

Believe me, I don't hate DT. I respect them and even have paid a ticket to see them live. Which unfortunately was a disappointment. Setlist was good (Images & Words tour) but the sound was quite bad.

I think I & W is their best work, a really solid album.

Did you like any of those PT albums?

Edited by Foxprog - November 30 2019 at 09:27
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 09:30

DT are musicians.

Believe me, I don't hate DT. I respect them and even have paid a ticket to see them live. Which unfortunately was a disappointment. Setlist was good (Images & Words tour) but the sound was quite bad.

Hey I saw them last month as well and the sound did suck, waaaaaay too loud.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 10:19

DT are musicians.

My favorite of the bunch is In Absentia.  I absolutely can not abide Fear of a Blank Planed (although I do recognize its artistic achievement).  The others lie somewhere in the middle.  

I agree on I&W.  Honestly, if they had made more like that and less like The Astonishing, they wouldn't be so subject to the criticism they sometimes rightly receive.  

Edited by Fischman - November 30 2019 at 10:20
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 11:24
PT for me. In Absentia is an awesome album - I prefer it to Fear of a Blank Planet or Deadwing. I've tried with DT, but never really got the buzz.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 13:13
PT is great
DT is good
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 02:00
This seems to have sparked off a debate about Dream Theater. Other than ELP and Marillion , the band that prog fans most love to beat up on.

I think they have done some worthy albums and the early albums such as Awake seem to be more loved in general. Personally I love the track A Change Of Seasons although this was apparently a fan club release because it included a bunch of tribute songs on Side Two. However I do love this album and the studio track alone is better than anything PT ever did. Perhaps later on DT lost their way a bit. Jordan Rudess seems to lead them on a more technical direction although I still like Six Degrees and will give that a spin. However the spin off group Liquid Tension Experiment  that features Tony Levin was more my taste. I wish there had been more of that. DT have made some truly horrible albums in recent years so that doesn't help their case much either.

Porcupine Tree yep. Not exactly innovative and Steven Wilson can be a giant bell end when he wants to be but they have crafted some special albums. Fear Of A Blank Planet was mentioned in the TV show Loudermilk so they seem to have even managed to infiltrate popular culture. If I had to listen to either bands discography from start to finish its obvious which I would choose so PT gets my vote.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 02:26
can't choose this time...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 11:50
The Tree but I don't dislike DT. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 01 2019 at 11:50
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 13:04
I like PT quite a lot, especially their later albums, but DT are on another level.

True, DT have made quite some crap, but in general they are trendsetters and one of the most influential bands of all the history of Prog, besides highly vistuoso instrumentalists.

Steven Wilson is a very good composer but tends to be derivative. IMHO he was very fortunate to recruit Gavin Harrison as drummer, PT would not be quite as good without him at the drumsticks. 

Having said this and having seen both of them live more than once, at present I prefer attending a PT (or rather SW solo) concert than a DT one. DT frequetly sound a bit too dirty live, while the sound of the last SW concert was excellent.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 15:49
Dream Theater easily. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>