Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog, Not Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Anstey View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anstey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 19:20
Pink Floyd Money

Yes I know that Pink Floyd is listed on this site as Psychedelic rock but this song is Progressive rock as it features odd time signatures.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 20:16
How about this...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 00:41
Originally posted by ColinCool ColinCool wrote:

How about Al Stewart's Roads To Moscow or Nostradamus both on his Past Present & Future album.

I'll second the call for Steve Harley's Death Trip too!

Agreed

Another one John Miles - Music

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 02:19
John Miles's Music if fully prog. I don't know anything else feom him but based on that song he should   be here
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 16:55
How about Alice Cooper's "Ballad of Dwight Fry" or "Black Juju"? Alex Harvey "Faith Healer"  Elton John (& Paul Buckmaster) "Four Moods/Seasons"  Simon & Garfunkel  "Save the Life of My Child"Angel "Tower," "Long Time," or "Mariner"
PROGMATIC
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 00:22
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

John Miles's Music if fully prog. I don't know anything else feom him but based on that song he should   be here

I've got the album Rebel and this is certainly the only track that is prog but it is an absolute beaut!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 02:28
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Ok, something very borderline then...

This is a ballad from an italian singer-songwriter who started in the 60s and has just announced his definitive retirement. He has never been a prog artist and never considered himself so, but try to imagine how this song would sound with a prog arrangement. 

One of the firsts thread that I opened was on the song Radici, a true prog song (with Mellotron). YEAR 1972

"Happiness is real only when shared"
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 04:40
Just to refute his most zealous fans claim that Lou Reed was Rock's master storyteller nonpareil. This is a Stan Ridgway masterpiece from 1989 and one of the very few songs deserving of the description 'cinematic'

progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 13:35
One more: McKendrie Spring: "God Bless The Conspiracy"
PROGMATIC
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 09:29
Anybody growing up in Australia in the later 70's thru the 80's would remember Dragon, who were on of the top teenybopper hitmakers especially late in the 70's (and also a lifestyle whose debauchery was the stuff of legend), but they came over from New Zealand where they had two very weird albums in 1974-5. Ages ago I had the first one, 'Universal Radio' on LP.  I could only remember snatches of the title track, but it's on Youtube.

I wasn't sure if it'd qualify, as it starts off sounding a bit like The Dukes of Stratosphear, but then it goes into this sort of Santana meets Gong thing. It's pretty lame really, but anyone who only remembers 'Are You Old Enough' or 'Lives of Ordinary Men' should give it a listen. That is Marc Hunter singing as far as I know.

axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2019 at 23:05
I usually find that if I hear an urban-style song that I like, it's usually Beck. 

So, I have actually started to listen to his music as he releases it. 
-John
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 00:18
"Inscriptie" by the Romanian jazz band Marius Popp off of the album Panoramic Jazz Rock, which I adore, and was recommended to me by one of the ex-posters at PA (Alex, aka harmonium.ro, who sadly hasn't been around in years):

I was looking for specific kinds of music, and it was a right-on-the-money recommendation. I've been lucky to get many good recommendations over the years from various posters.

The rest of the album is fairly standard, but very good post-bop and non progressive rockish jazz. As for other albums, it's straight jazz, jazz fusion, and some jazz-rock, but nothing else that I would imagine coming from a band to be included in Prog Archives. Talented band.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 08:57

This would fall (pun intended Dead) under Krautrock or space/psychedelic rock I think. 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 09:02
I was forgetting this. Bassoon, Flute, Percussion, little keys and Voice. Lyrics which are a poetry describing a hot summer day. Francesco Guccini - Giorno D'Estate - 1972

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 09:07
It's all Prog. If you think it's progressive then it, in fact, is.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 09:16
Giuni Russo featuring Franco Battiato (well, Battiato IS prog) - Strade Parallele - 1994

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 11:32
Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla certainly had some prog undertones. In fact I sort of wished they had carried on in this vein instead of the heavy metal route.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 22:58

A few other tracks from their later albums might count as well. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 23:30
I don't think this one has been mentioned yet. Who remembers this band(and album)?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 14 2019 at 23:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345