Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog, Not Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 06:02
^ One of my favourite tracks from a truly iconoclastic album but as challenging as the lyrical content and its delivery are...the music is the antithesis of Prog and is deliberately basic and primal (visceral) rock and roll
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 06:25
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Extreme: The Truth (section 3 of Three Sides to Every Story):

This!  Love it!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 07:07
Ok, something very borderline then...

This is a ballad from an italian singer-songwriter who started in the 60s and has just announced his definitive retirement. He has never been a prog artist and never considered himself so, but try to imagine how this song would sound with a prog arrangement. 

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 07:14
...I like this game...
non-prog stuff which triggers my prog receptors...

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
ColinCool View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinCool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 08:15
How about Al Stewart's Roads To Moscow or Nostradamus both on his Past Present & Future album.

I'll second the call for Steve Harley's Death Trip too!

Edited by ColinCool - December 03 2019 at 07:47
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 08:27
Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station
Cat Stevens - Foreigner Suite
Dead Kennedys - Ill In The Head
Ultravox - Hiroshima Mon Amour
XTC - Travels In Nihilon 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 11:43
There's probably more examples of these than you might think. Here's some I thought of:

Elton John - Funeral for a Friend/ love lies bleeding
"        "     - Out of the Blue (I'm not an Elton expert but this is probably the most fusiony thing he has ever done) 
Aerosmith - The movie
CCR- ramble tamble, heard it through the grapevine
ZZ Top - cheap sunglasses 
Allman Brothers - Les Brers in A minor
Doobie Brothers - Don't cheat the hangman
Steely Dan - Aja (title track) (I hesitate to put SD on here but they were really more jazz rock/pop but this is pretty proggy/fusiony(in a more typical fusion way)
The Eagles - Journey of the Sorcerer
Loggins and Messina - Angry Eyes
Prince - Computer Blue
Pearl Jam - W.M.A (not sure if they have others)
Jane's Addiction - Three Days
Red Hot Chilipepers- Sir Psycho sexy(ok maybe not so much the lyrics ;), breaking the girl
The Rolling Stones - Can't you hear me knocking (always thought it sounded like Traffic), Moonlight Mile
U2- All I want is You, Exit
REM - Endgame
Smashing Pumpkins - Porcelina of the vast oceans (maybe thru the eyes of ruby and tonight, tonight also)
The Tubes - Up from the deep, getoverture
Screaming Trees - Traveler  ( I remember thinking this could be an outtake from a trick of the tail; I'm not sure I still feel that way but there is some nice mellotron on it)
Soundgarden - Applebite

Phish have one also but jam band is close to prog. As for the Grateful Dead they were very experimental at times so I personally wouldn't include them. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 04 2019 at 13:51
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 13:36
^easy task isn't it? interesting list by the way, just some remarks I'd make - the Allman's track quite possibly inspired Fish's Marillion intro to "Assassing" hahah..... Wink  ,  and good picks on Elton John , a no-brainer here ,undoubtedly .... (to you prog fanboys LOL.)  I would pick Indian Sunset for one, but when it comes to his early works his album Tumbleweed Connection comes to mind, some really great tracks there. I suggest you  the Deluxe Edition , some unique BCC Session recordings in CD2.

The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 15:26
Anstey View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anstey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 16:09
The Who 905

Anstey View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anstey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 16:13
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Steely Dan - Aja (title track)

Nah. Aja the song is jazz-rock. This one is way more close to progressive rock:

Anstey View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anstey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 16:38
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

^easy task isn't it? interesting list by the way, just some remarks I'd make - the Allman's track quite possibly inspired Fish's Marillion intro to "Assassing" hahah..... Wink  ,  and good picks on Elton John , a no-brainer here ,undoubtedly .... (to you prog fanboys LOL.)  I would pick Indian Sunset for one, but when it comes to his early works his album Tumbleweed Connection comes to mind, some really great tracks there. I suggest you  the Deluxe Edition , some unique BCC Session recordings in CD2.

I suggest you to hear his Skyline Pigeon the song as a really proggy one.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 16:45
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Anstey View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anstey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 17:17
Uriah Heep Wake Up (Set Your Sights)

Anstey View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anstey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 17:25
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

or 'Green Earrings' --

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/The_Royal_Scam_album_cover.jpg

Exactly. Also, this one:

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 17:49
^ Hell yeah, two cuts that helped SD be listed on this site ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 18:16
Well, I disagree about the Steely Dan but anyway here's one I forgot to mention if they aren't considered prog enough. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 04 2019 at 18:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 18:21
Originally posted by Anstey Anstey wrote:

Uriah Heep Wake Up 

Uriah Heep is listed as heavy prog on this website. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 18:45
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Easy choice for me!  

This. Or this....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Anstey View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anstey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 18:50
Rainbow Stargazer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>