Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Tribute Bands & Shows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Tribute Bands & Shows
    Posted: November 30 2019 at 14:45

The Australian Pink Floyd are arguably one of the best tribute bands of all time, and here they are in concert at the Hammersmith Apollo, London in 2011.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 30 2019 at 14:46
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 15:23
I saw them live with some buddies while fried out of our minds. They don’t look the part, but are a dead ringer as far as sound goes.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 16:57
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I saw them live with some buddies while fried out of our minds. They don’t look the part, but are a dead ringer as far as sound goes.

I'm watching the Australian Pink Floyd show right now. They are so good, they sound just like the real thing. It's a great light show too! Smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 22:05
My favorite is Canada's "Musical Box," they have the Gabriel-era Genesis stage look AND music down perfectly! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 00:47
I go to see them every year as they are constantly touring. They have it off to perfection although it would be better to go and catch one of their shows than watch an old video imo.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 09:54
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

My favorite is Canada's "Musical Box," they have the Gabriel-era Genesis stage look AND music down perfectly! 

Yeah. These guys are fantastic.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 10:02
I only wish I could find a good quality concert by The Musical Box to post here, but all of the poor quality videos I've seen  on YouTube look as if they've been filmed on someone's camera phone in the audience.

I did find this though.....

THE FARM - Behind the Lines (Genesis Tribute)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 01 2019 at 10:09
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 10:59
I thought Steve Hackett had the best tribute band. No?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 11:12
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Yes, I think you're right. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 11:14

No.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 11:24
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

No.
So who did have the best tribute band?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 13:26
The only time The Aussie Floyd came to Barcelona I was away on a business trip and missed them, dammit !! All my friends say it was such a good show and that they sounded so awesome.

I've seen The Musical Box 3 or 4 times, indeed one of the best tribute bands out there. They've got all the genuine atrezzo used by Genesis at the time and they sound excellent.

A few weeks ago I went to a concert by 2YY2, a Spanish Rush tribute band, they were quite ok.

I've also seen Letz Zep (Zeppelin tribute, quite good), Regenesis (another tribute band of Gabriel-era Genesis) and surely some others I don't remember right now.

But the best Rush cover I've seen is the full Permanent Waves album by Tyler Warren:

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 00:01
I went to see The Musical Box last year (or was it the year before) and they played most of Lamb Lies Down Broadway Part One and I loved that. The 'fudging' of material from Trick and W&W didn't work quite as well to my ears but a fun gig nevertheless.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 05:31
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The Australian Pink Floyd are arguably one of the best tribute bands of all time, and here they are in concert at the Hammersmith Apollo, London in 2011.

Aussie floys are good, but try this: 

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 06:01
Brit Floyd is also worth checking out. I won't post any links here, but there is a lot of stuff from them on YouTube.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 06:37
for who likes Queen:
They have 4 different singers as replacing Freddy isn't an easy task, but the symphonic orchestra behind is excellent.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 00:10
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Brit Floyd is also worth checking out. I won't post any links here, but there is a lot of stuff from them on YouTube.

I've seen them twice and they were excellent on both occasions. They do a laser show and also perform Dogs regularly which Aussie Floyd tend to avoid.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 00:25
The best Floyd tribute band (when neither Gilmour nor Waters are touring) is Saucerful Of Secrets.

The best Genesis tribute band is Steve Hackett

The best Yes tribute band is Yes, followed by Yes, featuring Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman

The best Hawkwind tribute band is Hawkwind, followed by Nik Turner's Space Ritual, followed by The Hawklords (probably, I've never heard them)

[...you get the general idea...]
What?
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 17:44
Got a bar close to me, where they have tribute bands every Friday and Saturday.
Go there pretty regularly, and always have a good time.
Seen Genesis,Deep Purple,Black Sabbath,Bob Seger,Queen,Van Halen,Little Feet,David Bowie,Led Zeppelin( a couple of different ones),Red Hot Chili Peppers,Pink Floyd,Van Morrison,Tom Petty,Johnny Cash amongst others.$5-10 to get in  and a couple of brews, and I still walk home with money in my pocket.
Never had a problem with cover bands.

Edited by gr8dane - December 03 2019 at 17:47
Shake & bake.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 17:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The best Floyd tribute band (when neither Gilmour nor Waters are touring) is Saucerful Of Secrets.

The best Genesis tribute band is Steve Hackett

The best Yes tribute band is Yes, followed by Yes, featuring Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman

The best Hawkwind tribute band is Hawkwind, followed by Nik Turner's Space Ritual, followed by The Hawklords (probably, I've never heard them)

[...you get the general idea...]

These days I'll take Hawklords over Hawkwind.Hawklords sounds like Hawkwind when Calvert were in.
Shake & bake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>