Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Izz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Izz
    Posted: November 30 2019 at 16:30
Do you like Izz? A fan for a long time. Been listening to Moment of Inertia off the new album. Lots of Crimson influences, killer music.

Comments welcome.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 16:50
I certainly do, especially their latest.  I've only had the leisure to listen to it a couple of times since I got it, but it's set to rotate through once I get resettled (moving at the end of next week, so have to do other things).  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 17:11
Very good band, especially on stage. I have had the pleasure of seeing them a number of times, the most recent of which was earlier this year at ProgDay. Their guitarist, Paul Bremner, is definitely one of modern prog's finest.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 21:04
Big fan. Bought their debut back in 1999. One of those bands where you buy every studio album unheard, because you know it's going to be good. Don't Panic is likely to be in my top 5 of 2019.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 09:56
Great band, and their live shows are really good.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 11:03
Izz should not be overlooked and deserve more exposure. One of the better American prog bands.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 11:35
Haven't listened to many 2019 releases yet but there were some that qualify for a top 10 ranking in any of my AotY lists. Don't Panic is on top of my list so far.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 13:31
Actually, I only know two albums of IZZ: Everlasting Instant, which was already a very good album and nice to listen, and their current release Don't Panic. 'Don't Panic' is absolutely mind-blowing. Many references to Yes, especially the bass lines. 'Six String Theory' sounds more like it could be Steve Hackett's Horizons 2. And all that without being a copy cat or sounding derivative.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 05:43
Yes, a very good band and their latest release will be in my top 10 of 2019.
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 09:25
I was lucky enough to see them perform a few times at various festivals, mostly on the west coast.  I particularly remember them performing "Close to the Edge" at one CalProg.  It was sublime.  When the two ladies sang "I get up, I get down..." it moved me to tears.
I have everything by them.  When they were first starting out(2 albums in), I was trying to describe their sound to someone. I came up with Crowded House meets Yes.
They are so much more than that now.  An amazing band.  
One that doesn't get enough discussion, for certain.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 13:55
I love IZZ. The new album might be their best.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 00:08
Based on one listen it's an interesting album compositionally but feels a bit flat and too 'clean' which may be a fault of the production I suspect. I need to hear it a bit more perhaps.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 07:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Based on one listen it's an interesting album compositionally but feels a bit flat and too 'clean' which may be a fault of the production I suspect. I need to hear it a bit more perhaps.
Cool that you listened to it. Are you referring to the mix of Don't Panic? I think it is really good. 

Could you list a few recordings you believe to have great production and are mixed perfectly?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - December 03 2019 at 07:40
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 00:31
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Cool that you listened to it. Are you referring to the mix of Don't Panic? I think it is really good. 

Could you list a few recordings you believe to have great production and are mixed perfectly?

Great question. Maybe Far Corner - Risk is one that springs out. I might also put IQ's most recent album up there. Muse, although barely anything to do with prog nowadays, are right on top of the production thing. Their latest album Simulation Theory is about as good as it gets. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 07:59

Great question. Maybe Far Corner - Risk is one that springs out. I might also put IQ's most recent album up there. Muse, although barely anything to do with prog nowadays, are right on top of the production thing. Their latest album Simulation Theory is about as good as it gets. 
The Dr. Loudness Website rates how processed a CD is. A lower rating means a more processed album which means the sound is squashed/compressed. For example, Steven Wilson's The Raven.. gets an average rating of 10. Muse Simulation Theory gets a 5, meaning there are fewer dynamics on the album... ITS ALL LOUD. Unfortunately Izz's Don't Panic is not listed but I would guess it would get a higher rating than Muse. 

So what you describe as flat and clean I take to mean having dynamics, which is what I prefer in an album. If you enjoy no dynamics and LOUD records... that's cool with me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 00:06
^ I only answered the question based on what I hear. I could not give one f**k about this website you mention 
Wink

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 06:40
I have to say I see Richard's point here, the production is lacking a bit of warmth, the same with Laura Meade's otherwise wonderful solo album. Whether it's compressed or not I have no idea.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2019 at 00:22
I don't want to appear to be down on it. It's definitely one of the better albums of the year and makes my top ten list for certain. The production is not bad, you can hear everything fine. It's probably typical of many current albums in truth so my comments may have been a little spurious. Compositionally it's strong and I like the fact that all five tracks are different.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2019 at 10:25

The Dr. Loudness Website rates how processed a CD is. A lower rating means a more processed album which means the sound is squashed/compressed. For example, Steven Wilson's The Raven.. gets an average rating of 10. Muse Simulation Theory gets a 5, meaning there are fewer dynamics on the album... ITS ALL LOUD. Unfortunately Izz's Don't Panic is not listed but I would guess it would get a higher rating than Muse. 

So what you describe as flat and clean I take to mean having dynamics, which is what I prefer in an album. If you enjoy no dynamics and LOUD records... that's cool with me.

It's not a fair fight to compare against almost anything Steven Wilson has mixed/engineered. As a music engineer he is in the class of Bob Ludwig, Bernie Grundman, Ted Jensen, Greg Calbi, Nick Davis and others, what he lacks against the first ones is simply volume of work because he is also an artist.

Your ears should be final judge and jury but the DR Loudness website (BTW its not Dr. as in doctor), is a good check. Only if that stuff means anything to you.......If you simply stream music or only have lowbit mp3s it will mean nothing to you as that format is squashed to hell and back anyways.
Understand that the data is user entered, like wiki, people using DR analyzers to get the data and their own audio gear. So I always wonder for example on vinyl, what gear people have to analyze a record....Is it a low budget TT with a low end cartridge, who knows.
So I take the data with a grain of salt, although in most cases I tend to agree with the results because a crappy mastered recording is just that.

I like Izz but only have a few of their albums (I Move, Darkened Room) on digital files that I bought for super cheap, they sound just fine to me on my system. 
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 06:47
I have 8 albums of IZZ. Super music ! Wink

Edited by PhideauxFan - December 20 2019 at 06:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>