Poll Question: Fragile or Meddle?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
46 [58.97%]
32 [41.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fragile or Meddle?
    Posted: December 01 2019 at 15:48
Take your pick.

Fragile for me.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:10
Meddle is a deep, penetrating journey into places unknown tempered by a little lightness and nonsense.   Fragile is not.

Meddle.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:17
Meddle for sure

Fragile isn't very good in my opinion
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:28
I just bought meddle over the weekend and was playing it in my car a little while ago. Still, it's fragile for me though. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:31
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Meddle for sure

Aside from "one of these days" and "echoes" that's kind of how I feel about Meddle. "Pillow of winds" is nice but a bit sleepy and the same thing with "San Tropez." 'Fearless" is alright though. "Seamus" on the other hand is just downright annoying(or should I say that dog in particular). No way would I put meddle about fragile but that's just me I guess. I kind of get why people don't like the solo pieces but for me it's the variety of the solo pieces that makes fragile so interesting and fun to listen to. Or at least the solo pieces add something to it. Without them it would still be very good but I don't feel the solo pieces detract from it(at least not my enjoyment anyway)like so many people seem to think.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 01 2019 at 16:32
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:34
MEddle 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 16:35
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Meddle for sure

Aside from "one of these days" and "echoes" that's kind of how I feel about Meddle. "Pillow of winds" is nice but a bit sleepy and the same thing with "San Tropez." Fearless is alright though. "" on the other hand is just downright annoying(or should I say that dog in particular). No way would I put meddle about fragile but that's just me I guess. I kind of get why people don't like the solo pieces but for me it's the variety of the solo pieces that makes fragile so interesting and fun to listen to. Or at least the solo pieces add something to it. Without them it would still be very good but I don't feel the solo pieces detract from it(at least not my enjoyment anyway)like so many people seem to think.

For me its less of not liking the solo pieces as its more of just thinking that their other albums are better. It is good, but I always have enjoyed the yes album and the 3 that follow fragile a lot more. I do enjoy every song on meddle besides seamus but... meh I can look past that. One thing from Fragile that has always alluded me is Heart of the Sunrise. It seems everyone dearly loves that song but it's just never appealed to me for some reason. Ouch
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 17:10
Wow, really? HOTS is possibly the best thing on it. Lol. It took me a while to warm up to it but the same thing could be said about yours is no disgrace(at least for me). For me the weakest link between TYA and relayer for me personally is tales from topographic oceans which is kind of weird because I consider myself to be a rather spiritual person(and it's probably yes's most spiritual/mystical release). I still like it but I just think parts are a bit drawn out and it would have been better as a single(I feel more or less the same way about lamb actually).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 01 2019 at 18:34
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 17:24
Both have some stuff that I don't like. But Meddle has Echoes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 17:58
And on the contrary, tales is my favorite yes album haha
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 18:33
I just recently got into Meddle lol, and I quite like it. But geez not as much as Fragile no.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 18:36

And on the contrary, tales is my favorite yes album haha

There are certainly others who feel that way as well but the majority seem to favor CTTE. Relayer is my personal favorite maybe partly because I heard it rather early on.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 18:37
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I just recently got into Meddle lol, and I quite like it. But geez not as much as Fragile no.

Yep. Ditto for me as well(except for the just recently getting into it part; I used to borrow my uncles PF albums so heard most of them at a rather early age).
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 19:33
Meddle, but not by much. Sure, it has some off beat crap like San Tropez and Seamus, but then Fragile has some equally goofy crap like Five Per Cent for Nothing and We Have Heaven. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 19:37
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Meddle, but not by much. Sure, it has some off beat crap like San Tropez and Seamus, but then Fragile has some equally goofy crap like Five Per Cent for Nothing and We Have Heaven. 

Hmmm, offbeat vs goofy. Well, I don't think there's much goofier than Seamus although to me it's more annoying than anything else. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 19:46
Well, I'll go a bit personal for just a moment.

One morning not long ago, I needed one album that would see me across town to bury my mom....a car ride that I don't believe I will ever forget how it felt. The length of the album was about perfect with the subtraction of the Seamus track...which I often skip anyway, and I did again that morning.

Naturally, I was wrecked. The music worked pretty well at temporarily numbing what I was feeling so I could drive, which I believe subconsciously is why I grabbed that one. I didn't really hear the music the way I normally do, attentively, because my thoughts were too intrusive and constant, but it worked pretty well at just holding everything together so I could navigate traffic and get there in one piece. Echoes was particularly effective.

I often choose certain Floyd for difficult trips, of which there have been many in life recently. But I owe a special nod to Meddle for that spring morning.

As for a poll....I like em both.

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 21:36
Fragile is stylistically inconsistent, as should be expected from what really amounts to five mini solo efforts cluged together.

... but it is consistently excellent and that stylistic inconsistency actually adds to the album's greatness in the form of welcome variety.

Easy vote for Fragile.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 22:25
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Well, I'll go a bit personal for just a moment.

One morning not long ago, I needed one album that would see me across town to bury my mom....a car ride that I don't believe I will ever forget how it felt. The length of the album was about perfect with the subtraction of the Seamus track...which I often skip anyway, and I did again that morning.

Naturally, I was wrecked. The music worked pretty well at temporarily numbing what I was feeling so I could drive, which I believe subconsciously is why I grabbed that one. I didn't really hear the music the way I normally do, attentively, because my thoughts were too intrusive and constant, but it worked pretty well at just holding everything together so I could navigate traffic and get there in one piece. Echoes was particularly effective.

I often choose certain Floyd for difficult trips, of which there have been many in life recently. But I owe a special nod to Meddle for that spring morning.

As for a poll....I like em both.

That's a sad story, Jim.  I try not to think about it, but for the first time in my life I looked at my parents and felt that they seemed...old.  (I know weight loss has a lot to do with it, but still).  It made me think.

Fragile gets my vote. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 22:48
Meddle by far
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 00:18
Neither is perfect. Fragile has far too much 'filler' but Heart of The Sunrise , The South Side Of The Sky and Roundabout are probably my favourite Yes tracks all in one place. As far as Floyd goes then One Of These Days and Echoes seriously kick arse but the rest I'm not bothered about or just don't like (Seamus). Fragile 4 stars , Meddle 4 stars (but rounded up from 3.5) so voted Fragile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>