Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Albums in the top 20 you rate less than 4 stars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums in the top 20 you rate less than 4 stars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 11:55
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

CTTE

Agreed.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 11:39
^ Omg, this may be prog sacrilege. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 10:11
Probably only Fragile, I only like South Side Of The Sky & Heart Of The Sunshine, half a good album does not 4 stars make.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 10:07
None of them I would rate less than four stars. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 09:58
Wish You Were Here 3* Don't like Have a Cigar and Shine on you Crazy Diamond is inconsistent.
ITCOFCK 3* Bought it soon after its release, thought it was brilliant but now bored of it. Epitaph and the title track are great, C20th SM is brilliant musically but I don't enjoy it much now. Moonchild stinks.
Red 3* Great musicians do not guarantee great music. 
Godbluff 2.5* Don't like Peter Hamill's vocals. End of.
Fragile 3.5* Some of the solo pieces really suck, but the ensemble pieces are great.
Pawn Hearts 2* As for Godbluff.
LTIA 2.5* Meh.
Most of the rest are 5* albums except CTTE, TAAB and Per |Un Amico, which are 4*.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 08:46
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

While I generally like all of our top 20 albums, there’s a few I don’t care for as much, but my rating is not to say they don’t belong in their spot.

Thick as a Brick (3 Stars)

I know it’s a seemingly universally loved album, it’s just never done much for me and I find myself bored by the end.

Larks Tongues In Aspic (3 Stars)

It is very solid, but a bit uneven unlike Court and Red where I think they really nail the song structure. Larks is more jammy which I understand the appeal of

Fragile (3 stars)

It’s just a bit too all over the place for me, and heart of the sunrise doesn’t appeal to me. I prefer the yes album and the 3 that follow it much more.

That’s it for me

Hybris.  And, also, there are easily plenty other great albums to fill that 20th spot. It has neither the quality nor the influence or impact on the genre to occupy that place, but that's JMO.
emisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 08:41
For me, Larks' Tongues In Aspic is the only 3 star album in top 50 PA, but maybe that's because after 10 years of intense study on prog rock, I think that King Crimson are overrated.

Edited by emisan - December 03 2019 at 08:42
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 08:24
I think PA's Top 20 is pretty much spot on. I'd obviously argue for Tales From Topographic Oceans inclusion but all 20 in that upper tier deserve to be there. All receive 5 stars from me!!!

Least favorite? Dark Side Of The Moon. But it still deserves 5 stars.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 07:47
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Almost all are fine with me, but I would like to see some Rush in there.
Moving Pictures made the top twenty. Rush has four albums in the top 100, but not 2112 seriously? 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 07:33
There are only 26 albums in the PA top 100 that are recorded after 1980. That should change, as current music is better or equal to ancient music.

In the Court of the Crimson King is the worst of the 20. The first and last tune are excellent, the other three are dreadful and boring. Never knew why it was in the top 100. Because of its age?

Larks' Tongues in Aspic has a lot of filler... The Talking Drum and LT&A Part one 

Per Un Amico

Moonmadness never a big fan of Camel, I prefer Mirage which is worthy of four stars. Camel should not have two in the top twenty. There are far better bands that deserve a spot.

Relayer

Hybris

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 07:19
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Less than four stars? No can do! Less than four stars to me means that it's just average music, average prog, which means quite disappointing and demeaning. 

The description of 3 stars is "good but not essential", which means good! If it's average and disappointing I'd give it 2 at most.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 07:02
Less than four stars? No can do! Less than four stars to me means that it's just average music, average prog, which means quite disappointing and demeaning. 

14 of them do not earn five stars in my estimation, and Mirage, and Larks' Tongues may be wavering on the brink, but I think they're all up there (in the Top 20) for understandable reasons.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 06:24
Fragile
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 06:15
CTTE
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 04:11
I don't think I can see any point in this anymore. I hate rating albums with a numeric score.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 04:04
I'm not sure what good a thread like this accomplishes. I'm not doing the old man ranting at the clouds but just wondering. We certainly can't like everything. I do think that we have to acknowledge that certain music that we find unappealing has the opposite effect on other people. I find A Passion Play quite boring but I do agree that many prog fans like it and derive a high level of enjoyment from listening to it. More power to them. Life holds enough lemons for people at times and if that album makes their day then we should just be happy for them. End of rant.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 04:02
I would personally rate Thick as a Brick 3 stars, but the rest are worthy of 4 stars+ IMO.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 03:02
less than StarStarStarStar?

Then I guess that Fragile would be the first one, but from Camel downwards until Hybris, most of them would be between 3.5 and 4

BTW, it tool me a few minutes top discover where these top lists had been migrated to (they used to be on the front pages a few years back)... i guess it shows how much I care for them lists.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 02:31
I'm not that great a fan of Pink Floyd after 'Live at Pompeii' and Yes in general. These albums listed below are still mandatory listens, so I hold no grudge against them appearing so high in this list. Just not my cup of tea really. Of these albums, which I all owned at one point, I only have a vinyl of Dark Side of the Moon for audiophile listening bliss.

Close to the Edge
Selling England by the Pound (though the first side is lovely)
Wish You Were Here
Dark Side of the Moon
Animals
Fragile
Relayer
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 23:53
There are certainly some that would be 3.5 stars in my book but the rest are fine
Dark Side of the Moon
Selling England By The Pound
In The Court of the Crimson King

ITCOTCK is important for historical reasons and has great songs but the production is horrible and it hasn't aged well.
DSOTM is a commercial AOR album with some neat electronics admittedly
SEBTP has my least favourite long track by a major band The Battle of Epping of Forest. A lot of bollocks really. Also a bit bored with some of the other stuff I Know What I Like and even Cinema Show lacks a punchy ending. I get the love for it though because it used to be my favourite album a long time ago.
None of them of bad of course and there are other albums by these bands I adore.

Edited by richardh - December 02 2019 at 23:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>