Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Albums in the top 20 you rate less than 4 stars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums in the top 20 you rate less than 4 stars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 07:33
There are only 26 albums in the PA top 100 that are recorded after 1980. That should change, as current music is better or equal to ancient music.

In the Court of the Crimson King is the worst of the 20. The first and last tune are excellent, the other three are dreadful and boring. Never knew why it was in the top 100. Because of its age?

Larks' Tongues in Aspic has a lot of filler... The Talking Drum and LT&A Part one 

Per Un Amico

Moonmadness never a big fan of Camel, I prefer Mirage which is worthy of four stars. Camel should not have two in the top twenty. There are far better bands that deserve a spot.

Relayer

Hybris

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 07:47
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Almost all are fine with me, but I would like to see some Rush in there.
Moving Pictures made the top twenty. Rush has four albums in the top 100, but not 2112 seriously? 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 08:24
I think PA's Top 20 is pretty much spot on. I'd obviously argue for Tales From Topographic Oceans inclusion but all 20 in that upper tier deserve to be there. All receive 5 stars from me!!!

Least favorite? Dark Side Of The Moon. But it still deserves 5 stars.
emisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 08:41
For me, Larks' Tongues In Aspic is the only 3 star album in top 50 PA, but maybe that's because after 10 years of intense study on prog rock, I think that King Crimson are overrated.

Edited by emisan - December 03 2019 at 08:42
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 08:46
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

While I generally like all of our top 20 albums, there’s a few I don’t care for as much, but my rating is not to say they don’t belong in their spot.

Thick as a Brick (3 Stars)

I know it’s a seemingly universally loved album, it’s just never done much for me and I find myself bored by the end.

Larks Tongues In Aspic (3 Stars)

It is very solid, but a bit uneven unlike Court and Red where I think they really nail the song structure. Larks is more jammy which I understand the appeal of

Fragile (3 stars)

It’s just a bit too all over the place for me, and heart of the sunrise doesn’t appeal to me. I prefer the yes album and the 3 that follow it much more.

That’s it for me

Hybris.  And, also, there are easily plenty other great albums to fill that 20th spot. It has neither the quality nor the influence or impact on the genre to occupy that place, but that's JMO.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 09:58
Wish You Were Here 3* Don't like Have a Cigar and Shine on you Crazy Diamond is inconsistent.
ITCOFCK 3* Bought it soon after its release, thought it was brilliant but now bored of it. Epitaph and the title track are great, C20th SM is brilliant musically but I don't enjoy it much now. Moonchild stinks.
Red 3* Great musicians do not guarantee great music. 
Godbluff 2.5* Don't like Peter Hamill's vocals. End of.
Fragile 3.5* Some of the solo pieces really suck, but the ensemble pieces are great.
Pawn Hearts 2* As for Godbluff.
LTIA 2.5* Meh.
Most of the rest are 5* albums except CTTE, TAAB and Per |Un Amico, which are 4*.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 10:07
None of them I would rate less than four stars. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 10:11
Probably only Fragile, I only like South Side Of The Sky & Heart Of The Sunshine, half a good album does not 4 stars make.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 11:39
^ Omg, this may be prog sacrilege. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 11:55
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

CTTE

Agreed.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 12:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

There are certainly some that would be 3.5 stars in my book but the rest are fine
Dark Side of the Moon
Selling England By The Pound
In The Court of the Crimson King

ITCOTCK is important for historical reasons and has great songs but the production is horrible and it hasn't aged well.
DSOTM is a commercial AOR album with some neat electronics admittedly
SEBTP has my least favourite long track by a major band The Battle of Epping of Forest. A lot of bollocks really. Also a bit bored with some of the other stuff I Know What I Like and even Cinema Show lacks a punchy ending. I get the love for it though because it used to be my favourite album a long time ago.
None of them of bad of course and there are other albums by these bands I adore.

So you’re saying dark side of the moon is in the same category as Styx, REO speedwagon and Boston? And how is Court horribly produced? It’s one of the best sounding albums in my collection. I’m not arguing your ratings but your reasoning seems off.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 13:58
"SEBTP has my least favourite long track by a major band The Battle of Epping of Forest. A lot of bollocks really"

Lyrically, it's one of the cleverest pieces of music ever written, but unless you come from the East End, you might not understand how funny it is.
It's loosely based on a true story. In my youth, two gangs of East End hoodlums had a huge scrap over the protection rights in a part of the East End somewhere near Brentwood (which is not actually in Epping Forest). I was living in the area whilst doing my D Phil at Imperial and I remember dozens of black police cars heading out to stop the carnage.
Lots of the jokes are based on Cockney Rhyming slang (eg old fashioned Staffordshire Plate = mas****ate) and if you don't know it, you won't get it.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 14:10
Rating can indeed be tricky...but I think all of the top 20 deserve 4 stars and more.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 15:23
LTIA and Red are just below 4 stars. Itchycock is still on the right side of the line.
I'm not familiar with Hybris. Another album by the same band, Viljans Öga, is a 4- in my book.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 15:55
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm not sure what good a thread like this accomplishes. I'm not doing the old man ranting at the clouds but just wondering. We certainly can't like everything. I do think that we have to acknowledge that certain music that we find unappealing has the opposite effect on other people. I find A Passion Play quite boring but I do agree that many prog fans like it and derive a high level of enjoyment from listening to it. More power to them. Life holds enough lemons for people at times and if that album makes their day then we should just be happy for them. End of rant.
Great point. I agree with you.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 16:10
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Hmm let's see. I love VDGG but for some reason I can't get into Godbluff. VDGG have four or five albums on which I find every single song better than every song on Godbluff. Don't know why that one is so popular. Fragile. Moving Pictures, but then I'm not a Rush fan and have only listened to that album once, not enough for a rating. Hybris didn't get me in two attempts.

I agree with you on Godbluff.
I consider it a great album but not so great as The Least, From H to He and Pawn Hearts.

In my opinion it is in a better position because it is a simpler, and more accessible than the previous, more linear, less cacophonous.

Just read your review of Quiet Zone/Pleasure Dome. Actually that's one of those in my view with every song better than every one on Godbluff. I needed a few spins to get into it but since then it's one of my all time favourites. You don't like it that much, fair enough. I do realise that I have a minority view on that album. Wink
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 19:00
In the Court, Nursery Cryme, and Per Un Amico are three-star albums to me. I’ve never heard Hybris, which is among the six Top-20 LPs I haven’t yet rated. Of the other five, I’ll probably end up rating  Dark Side and Lark’s Tongues three each: good, but not essential.   
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 22:17
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I don't think I can see any point in this anymore. I hate rating albums with a numeric score.

I agree-- and give your comment 4 stars.LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 00:07

There are certainly some that would be 3.5 stars in my book but the rest are fine
Dark Side of the Moon

ITCOTCK is important for historical reasons and has great songs but the production is horrible and it hasn't aged well.
SEBTP has my least favourite long track by a major band The Battle of Epping of Forest. A lot of bollocks really. Also a bit bored with some of the other stuff I Know What I Like and even Cinema Show lacks a punchy ending. I get the love for it though because it used to be my favourite album a long time ago.
None of them of bad of course and there are other albums by these bands I adore.

So you’re saying dark side of the moon is in the same category as Styx, REO speedwagon and Boston? And how is Court horribly produced? It’s one of the best sounding albums in my collection. I’m not arguing your ratings but your reasoning seems off.

I would rather listen to Boston's debut than DSOTM but I suppose comparing it with REO (total crap) might be a stretch. It's good AOR just not great prog imo.
What type of production you enjoy is a bit subjective but I hate the drum sound totally and it doesn't feel big enough. I prefer the punchier sound of ITWOP although it's a weaker album.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 01:57

Dark Side of the Moon

I would rather listen to Boston's debut than DSOTM but I suppose comparing it with REO (total crap) might be a stretch. It's good AOR just not great prog imo.
What type of production you enjoy is a bit subjective but I hate the drum sound totally and it doesn't feel big enough. I prefer the punchier sound of ITWOP although it's a weaker album.

I have to disagree regarding DSOTM. It'c classic prog IMO, and certainly no less prog than Meddle or WYWH.

However, I do agree regarding KC and the production of the debut. I think the material on ITWOP is as good as the debut though.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>