Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jethro Tull vs. King Crimson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [35.06%]
50 [64.94%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 09:36
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'm too lazy to cherry pick this and that. Everything Crimson has done is worth taking seriously and they didn't do a Christmas album although can you imagine what it would have been if they had. Just think of Fripp wearing a fluffy Santa hat... so him. LOL

Would have been an album full of this, no doubt: LOL

Nice find!
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 13:20
Actually close for me but I went with KC
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 01:59
The more I age, the more obvious King Crimson's dominance as a force reveals itself to me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 15:28
Lizard is one of my faves but happy family and indoor games suck lol. Haskell sounds so much better in his solo album. 8/10 album though. Islands is ok. A bit of a snoozer though

Edited by dr prog - January 16 2020 at 15:29
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 19:12
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

King Crimson.  Nobody beats KC for being influential to all music.  Even though I'm also a big fan of JT, Crimson is my all-time most favorite band.

With all due respect, mostly all the big Prog bands "beat" King Crimson in influence and music even the lesser known bands do. 

With all due respect, that's the ultimate in revisionism.  Genesis leaned heavily on ITCOTCK to make Trespass and you're claiming KC is the least influential of the big prog rock bands?

No bro, it's not revisionism. Those bands are better and have more influence than Crimson. Yes, Crimso is influential but those other bands took things further and did them better
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 22:57

King Crimson.  Nobody beats KC for being influential to all music.  Even though I'm also a big fan of JT, Crimson is my all-time most favorite band.

With all due respect, mostly all the big Prog bands "beat" King Crimson in influence and music even the lesser known bands do. 

With all due respect, that's the ultimate in revisionism.  Genesis leaned heavily on ITCOTCK to make Trespass and you're claiming KC is the least influential of the big prog rock bands?

No bro, it's not revisionism. Those bands are better and have more influence than Crimson. Yes, Crimso is influential but those other bands took things further and did them better

Better is just your opinion and neither here nor there when we discuss influence. But as far as KC goes, their influence doesn't stop only with ITCOTCK. Do you have any idea how bands, including hardcore punk or grunge bands, have cited Wetton KC as an influence? Again, were any of GG, Genesis, JT, Yes or ELP doing anything remotely like Red album in 1974? The answer is no. Just because you may be a symph prog fan doesn't mean the world revolves around it.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 00:42

Better is just your opinion and neither here nor there when we discuss influence. But as far as KC goes, their influence doesn't stop only with ITCOTCK. Do you have any idea how bands, including hardcore punk or grunge bands, have cited Wetton KC as an influence? Again, were any of GG, Genesis, JT, Yes or ELP doing anything remotely like Red album in 1974? The answer is no. Just because you may be a symph prog fan doesn't mean the world revolves around it.

Those bands were doing better albums than KC was in 1974 but that's just my opinion. Also, those bands have a rep and influence all there own (Who cares about the genres that were influenced though really?) Yes, influenced grunge with the Wurm from Starship Trooper(that came out a few years beford Wetton Era KC what about that? Should we make a big deal about it? Or a big deal about Rush influencing keyboard rock and emo? Lol) Also, I'm not just a symph prog fan I love all subgenres like eclectic and folk. Just my opinion man. Don't like it? Sorry man

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - January 18 2020 at 00:47
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 01:32

Those bands were doing better albums than KC was in 1974 but that's just my opinion. Also, those bands have a rep and influence all there own (Who cares about the genres that were influenced though really?) Yes, influenced grunge with the Wurm from Starship Trooper(that came out a few years beford Wetton Era KC what about that? Should we make a big deal about it? Or a big deal about Rush influencing keyboard rock and emo? Lol) Also, I'm not just a symph prog fan I love all subgenres like eclectic and folk. Just my opinion man. Don't like it? Sorry man

That you are clutching onto one coda that has a lot, lot less to do with grunge than a body of work that spanned three albums (LTIA/SABB/Red) itself shows the lengths to which you are prepared to go to hold onto your 'opinion'. If you have even heard anything at all off those three albums, you know they don't owe anything to Starship Trooper. Again, stop making up stuff just because you dislike a band. Disliking KC is your choice but you cannot bloody well deny their influence when legions of bands themselves cite said influence. Eh, it's your opinion, not a slice of pizza so liking or not liking it doesn't come into the picture. You just don't have any basis to make the claims that you have about KC's influence. I will go one step further and suggest you do this only because taking a contrarian view for the sake of it is appealing to you.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 02:36
There is an important distinction between influential power and popularity/success that often gets lost over the internet simply because we love our faves
Influence is seeds that blossom whereas the latter has more to do with numbers.
Look at it like this: One of the most influential bands I know of is The Velvet Underground. Compared to their peers they sold horribly and were no more than a historic footnote looking merely at the numbers. But without them we wouldn’t have Ziggy Stardust or the Bowie that followed. The whole new wave scene blossoming up through various cracks in the 80s would also be without it’s guru.
Or to bring it home to a progger: take the Floyd. Dark Side Of The Moon is perhaps one of the most iconic albums in all of rock..not just in prog, but I’d wager that the early albums from Piper to Ummagumma were and are far more influential in terms of what they spawned of new musical avenues. Dark Side was vastly influential on the productional side of things and basically taught bands how to use the studio as an extra member of the band...but Piper through Ummagumma gave us a plethora of scenes and styles that evolved from the innovative psychedelics of the Floyd.
King Crimson is like that. The bands that took their cue from them mostly ended up being innovators themselves and spurred on seeds of their own. The Mars Volta fx. How many bands have evolved from those guys? And that’s just one band. Most modern experimental riff based rock bands, whether prague or more metal based, can trace their lineage back to monsieur Fripp...whether they know it or not.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 18 2020 at 04:30
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 02:55
^I agree. Even Metallica´s Kirk Hammet was really excited about KC:s Thrak when it came.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 08:18
Crimson 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234