Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis Solo Artists Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which Genesis solo artist do you like best of all?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [10.71%]
1 [1.79%]
18 [32.14%]
5 [8.93%]
23 [41.07%]
3 [5.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis Solo Artists Poll
    Posted: December 07 2019 at 15:10
If you'd like to list your favourite solo albums below by each of the six Genesis members, that would be great. Smile
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 15:20
Six? Okay...

Peter Gabriel - Car
Peter Gabriel - Scratch
Peter Gabriel - Melt
Peter Gabriel - Security
Peter Gabriel - So
Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte

I don't really subscribe to following rules to the letter.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 15:23
I enjoy mashing up tracks from A Curious Feeling, Bankstatement, Still, and Strictly Inc. a lot.  I really like A Curious Feeling.  

Almost voted for Rutherford, but I can't abide the over-poppiness of Mike & The Mechanics, but Smallcreeps Day is one of my favorite albums of a Genesis solo act.  Smallcreeps is a landmark album for that era (at least I think).  Love it from start to finish IN ORDER.

So, Banks first, maybe Rutherford second.

As far as Gabriel.  He would be my third.  Although I would have to strictly limit it to Peter Gabriel II.  But I think that album is less about him and more about my love of Robert Fripp and the fact that was part of the Exposure trilogy (Gabriel II, Daryl Hall-Sacred Songs (incredible album), and Robert Fripp-Exposure).  Those three albums together are INCREDIBLE.

So Gabriel third.

I feel that Collins redeems himself on every level ONLY with Brand X, PERIOD.

Edited by cemego - December 07 2019 at 15:26
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 15:29
Hckett 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 15:58
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Six? Okay...

Peter Gabriel - Car
Peter Gabriel - Scratch
Peter Gabriel - Melt
Peter Gabriel - Security
Peter Gabriel - So
Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte

I don't really subscribe to following rules to the letter.

Fair enough. I wouldn't be able to come up with a favourite solo album by each of the six Genesis artists either, because I haven't listened to that many, apart from a Steve Hackett 5-CD box set. Smile
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 16:01
Peter Gabriel
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 16:03
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

I enjoy mashing up tracks from A Curious Feeling, Bankstatement, Still, and Strictly Inc. a lot.  I really like A Curious Feeling.  

I'm looking forward to reviewing Tony Banks' first album pretty soon, having never listened to any of his solo albums before.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 16:14
Hackett. As a solo, none of the others are even in the same league.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 16:59
Hackett without a doubt - one of the few prog legends who does great stuff to this day!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:22
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Hackett without a doubt - one of the few prog legends who does great stuff to this day!

I saw him live a few weeks ago. He is not much of a showman, but his band are sensational and he is a truly superb player. His solo material is a bit inconsistent, but when it is good, it's astonishing.

I also like a lot of Gabriel's stuff and the Geese and the Ghost is lovely.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:22
Hackett to me represents total integrity in what he is always doing, I wont say I've liked everything he has done but when I do like it ... I really really like it more than other solo artists ex Genesis in the poll. My vote goes to hackett   

Edited by Enchant X - December 07 2019 at 17:29
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:40
Gabriel...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:44
Gabriel first
Hackett second
Collins ....  somewhere near the bottom of any poll.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:46
Gabriel/Hackett

Phillips

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 19:54
1. SH
2. AP
3. PG
4. TB
5. PC
6. MR 
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 22:49
I could never choose between Hackett and Gabriel in these polls

Edited by Cristi - December 07 2019 at 22:50
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 00:34

Fav soloist from Genesis would be TB followed closely by PG.  then SH PC MR and AP although this is probably unfair to AP because I only have 2 of his albums.

fav album by each
TB - A Curious Feeling
PG - 4
SH - Voyage of the Acolyte
PC - Hello I Must Be Going
MR - Smallcreep's Day
AP -  PPP 8

All of these guys except SH and AP are a far way from where they started.  All have at least one standout album.  Some have several and yes when the mood strikes, I will listen to Mike and the Mechanics.  

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 00:46
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Gabriel first
Hackett second
Collins ....  somewhere near the bottom of any poll.

Yeah, on a prog forum that's fair. But still I bet they all wish they could pool their money together and have half as much as Phil Collins.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 02:13
I've got to say Hackett for Acolyte alone but if the question was phrased a little differently ( ie based on 'importance') then I would have gone for Gabriel. Both their solo debut offerings are well up there amongst the very best but Gabriel evolved while Hackett has largely stood still while releasing a ridiculous number of albums. He still gets my vote though and his recent album At The Edge of Light is his best for a very long time. The other options are not for me. Banks has released a wadge of uninspired stuff although its not terrible. It just sounds like Duke was his main inspiration for a lot of it and not even the good stuff on that album! Collins at least managed one classic song but that's about it. Rutherford's stuff is deadly dull so no great surprise he is polling NIL. Ant Phillips has not really done very much and I'm not a fan of what he is had done although I realise his first solo album is a popular prog album. I should try and listen to it a bit more perhaps.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 02:23
I kinda expected Gabriel to run away with it. I have heard some solo from everyone I’m not sure I would hand out any 5 star ratings between them. But I haven’t heard most of hacketts discography so I can’t choose between them..
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>