Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis Solo Artists Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which Genesis solo artist do you like best of all?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [10.53%]
1 [1.75%]
19 [33.33%]
5 [8.77%]
23 [40.35%]
3 [5.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 12:11
I'm planning to review Tony Banks' first album tomorrow and I have "A Curious Feeling" I'm going to like it. Smile
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 11:22
Oh yes, Hackett for sure.

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I kinda expected Gabriel to run away with it. I have heard some solo from everyone I’m not sure I would hand out any 5 star ratings between them. But I haven’t heard most of hacketts discography so I can’t choose between them..

I have everything. I recommend starting with Spectral Mornings, Guitar Noir, To Watch the Storms, Beyond the Shrouded Horizon, and the latest At the Edge of Light. To Watch the Storms has some of his best song/music writing. He is the one who still does a lot of tightly orchestrated pieces with lots of changes and varieties of mood in the classic Prog fashion. I don’t go along with Richardh’s contention that he’s just stayed the same. I think he’s gone through a continuous evolution. Listen to each of the albums I recommended and they won’t much sound like each other. Alternatively, If you want a Classical excursion, Momentum is fantastic. He’s done several others and has scored for an orchestra on a couple, but Momentum is him and a nylon string guitar, just fantastic. If perhaps you want some blues, Blues With a Feeling has it in spades. He is also very generous with live CDs and DVDs.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 10:54
Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips, Peter Gabriel are my choice (in that particular order). Tony Banks has done some interesting albums and Mike Rutherford has a few songs that I like. Phill Collins' music I don't really care about, though he has a few pasable tunes, but I could do without them.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 07:27
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Hackett without a doubt - one of the few prog legends who does great stuff to this day!

Agree--also many of his solo albums suffer from his vocals--that whole 80's period of Cured and Til we have Faces could have been good but the vocals are so bad and off putting---its not a coincidence that his top rated albums are not sung by him.Embarrassed

Hackett
Banks
Gabriel
Collins
Rutherford---Mikes Smallcreeps day is very good but Mechnics do nothing for me.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 06:47
1 - Peter Gabriel - Most original overall
2 - Steve Hackett - Most prolific in keeping Genesis music alive and interesting (very close second place)
3 - Everyone else - Most hit and miss artists (a far cry from Gabe's and Hackett)

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 06:10
I can DANCE INTO THE LIGHT listening to Phil Collins drumming any time. BUT SERIOUSLY though, I can TESTIFY I'm not a big fan of him as a singer. At FACE VALUE, I can see BOTH SIDES of Phil Collins appeal as a drummer and a singer, but I prefer him as a drummer.  Gosh! Is that the time? HELLO, I MUST BE GOING. I'm GOING BACK now to listen to the rest of my Peter Gabriel era Genesis albums. Later, I'll be dining out at a restaurant where there's NO JACKET REQUIRED. Smile

All album titles in HIGHLIGHTS by Phil Collins
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 04:47
Not very familiar with most of their work. But if I pick one solo album from each artist then his would be the ranking:

1. Anthony Phillips - Wise after the Event
2. Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte
3. Peter Gabriel - So
4. Mike Rutherford - Smallcreep's Day
5. Phil Collins - But Seriously...

Don't know where to place Tony Banks: 4, 5 or 6.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 02:25
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I kinda expected Gabriel to run away with it. I have heard some solo from everyone I’m not sure I would hand out any 5 star ratings between them. But I haven’t heard most of hacketts discography so I can’t choose between them..

very few have LOL
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 02:23
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 02:13
I've got to say Hackett for Acolyte alone but if the question was phrased a little differently ( ie based on 'importance') then I would have gone for Gabriel. Both their solo debut offerings are well up there amongst the very best but Gabriel evolved while Hackett has largely stood still while releasing a ridiculous number of albums. He still gets my vote though and his recent album At The Edge of Light is his best for a very long time. The other options are not for me. Banks has released a wadge of uninspired stuff although its not terrible. It just sounds like Duke was his main inspiration for a lot of it and not even the good stuff on that album! Collins at least managed one classic song but that's about it. Rutherford's stuff is deadly dull so no great surprise he is polling NIL. Ant Phillips has not really done very much and I'm not a fan of what he is had done although I realise his first solo album is a popular prog album. I should try and listen to it a bit more perhaps.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 00:46
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Gabriel first
Hackett second
Collins ....  somewhere near the bottom of any poll.

Yeah, on a prog forum that's fair. But still I bet they all wish they could pool their money together and have half as much as Phil Collins.

tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 00:34

Fav soloist from Genesis would be TB followed closely by PG.  then SH PC MR and AP although this is probably unfair to AP because I only have 2 of his albums.

fav album by each
TB - A Curious Feeling
PG - 4
SH - Voyage of the Acolyte
PC - Hello I Must Be Going
MR - Smallcreep's Day
AP -  PPP 8

All of these guys except SH and AP are a far way from where they started.  All have at least one standout album.  Some have several and yes when the mood strikes, I will listen to Mike and the Mechanics.  

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 22:49
I could never choose between Hackett and Gabriel in these polls

Edited by Cristi - December 07 2019 at 22:50
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 19:54
1. SH
2. AP
3. PG
4. TB
5. PC
6. MR 
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:46
Gabriel/Hackett

Phillips

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:44
Gabriel first
Hackett second
Collins ....  somewhere near the bottom of any poll.

tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:40
Gabriel...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:22
Hackett to me represents total integrity in what he is always doing, I wont say I've liked everything he has done but when I do like it ... I really really like it more than other solo artists ex Genesis in the poll. My vote goes to hackett   

Edited by Enchant X - December 07 2019 at 17:29
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:22
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Hackett without a doubt - one of the few prog legends who does great stuff to this day!

I saw him live a few weeks ago. He is not much of a showman, but his band are sensational and he is a truly superb player. His solo material is a bit inconsistent, but when it is good, it's astonishing.

I also like a lot of Gabriel's stuff and the Geese and the Ghost is lovely.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 16:59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>