Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis Solo Artists Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which Genesis solo artist do you like best of all?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [10.53%]
1 [1.75%]
19 [33.33%]
5 [8.77%]
23 [40.35%]
3 [5.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 02:25
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I kinda expected Gabriel to run away with it. I have heard some solo from everyone I’m not sure I would hand out any 5 star ratings between them. But I haven’t heard most of hacketts discography so I can’t choose between them..

very few have LOL
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 04:47
Not very familiar with most of their work. But if I pick one solo album from each artist then his would be the ranking:

1. Anthony Phillips - Wise after the Event
2. Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte
3. Peter Gabriel - So
4. Mike Rutherford - Smallcreep's Day
5. Phil Collins - But Seriously...

Don't know where to place Tony Banks: 4, 5 or 6.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 06:10
I can DANCE INTO THE LIGHT listening to Phil Collins drumming any time. BUT SERIOUSLY though, I can TESTIFY I'm not a big fan of him as a singer. At FACE VALUE, I can see BOTH SIDES of Phil Collins appeal as a drummer and a singer, but I prefer him as a drummer.  Gosh! Is that the time? HELLO, I MUST BE GOING. I'm GOING BACK now to listen to the rest of my Peter Gabriel era Genesis albums. Later, I'll be dining out at a restaurant where there's NO JACKET REQUIRED. Smile

All album titles in HIGHLIGHTS by Phil Collins
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 06:47
1 - Peter Gabriel - Most original overall
2 - Steve Hackett - Most prolific in keeping Genesis music alive and interesting (very close second place)
3 - Everyone else - Most hit and miss artists (a far cry from Gabe's and Hackett)

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 07:27
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Hackett without a doubt - one of the few prog legends who does great stuff to this day!

Agree--also many of his solo albums suffer from his vocals--that whole 80's period of Cured and Til we have Faces could have been good but the vocals are so bad and off putting---its not a coincidence that his top rated albums are not sung by him.Embarrassed

Hackett
Banks
Gabriel
Collins
Rutherford---Mikes Smallcreeps day is very good but Mechnics do nothing for me.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 10:54
Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips, Peter Gabriel are my choice (in that particular order). Tony Banks has done some interesting albums and Mike Rutherford has a few songs that I like. Phill Collins' music I don't really care about, though he has a few pasable tunes, but I could do without them.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 11:22
Oh yes, Hackett for sure.

I kinda expected Gabriel to run away with it. I have heard some solo from everyone I’m not sure I would hand out any 5 star ratings between them. But I haven’t heard most of hacketts discography so I can’t choose between them..

I have everything. I recommend starting with Spectral Mornings, Guitar Noir, To Watch the Storms, Beyond the Shrouded Horizon, and the latest At the Edge of Light. To Watch the Storms has some of his best song/music writing. He is the one who still does a lot of tightly orchestrated pieces with lots of changes and varieties of mood in the classic Prog fashion. I don’t go along with Richardh’s contention that he’s just stayed the same. I think he’s gone through a continuous evolution. Listen to each of the albums I recommended and they won’t much sound like each other. Alternatively, If you want a Classical excursion, Momentum is fantastic. He’s done several others and has scored for an orchestra on a couple, but Momentum is him and a nylon string guitar, just fantastic. If perhaps you want some blues, Blues With a Feeling has it in spades. He is also very generous with live CDs and DVDs.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 12:11
I'm planning to review Tony Banks' first album tomorrow and I have "A Curious Feeling" I'm going to like it. Smile
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 13:34
Come on guys... I mean, how can you not love it.

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 14:07
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I have everything. I recommend starting with Spectral Mornings, Guitar Noir, To Watch the Storms, Beyond the Shrouded Horizon, and the latest At the Edge of Light. To Watch the Storms has some of his best song/music writing. He is the one who still does a lot of tightly orchestrated pieces with lots of changes and varieties of mood in the classic Prog fashion. I don’t go along with Richardh’s contention that he’s just stayed the same. I think he’s gone through a continuous evolution. Listen to each of the albums I recommended and they won’t much sound like each other. Alternatively, If you want a Classical excursion, Momentum is fantastic. He’s done several others and has scored for an orchestra on a couple, but Momentum is him and a nylon string guitar, just fantastic. If perhaps you want some blues, Blues With a Feeling has it in spades. He is also very generous with live CDs and DVDs.

The only two i've heard in full are Voyage of the Acolyte and Highly Strung and... one was much better than the other LOL

However I have heard cuts off spectral mornings and at the edge of light and have liked what I heard so i'll definitely start with those two. Every Day is such a great song, maybe my favorite Hackett solo besides Firth of Fifth.

Just remembered I also heard please don't touch and wasn't too impressed by it.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - December 08 2019 at 14:28
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 14:14
The only solo albums I've heard by ANY of the Genesis band members are the five albums on the Steve Hackett box set.
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 14:15
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

yeah I just voted for Phil Collins too Smile ... but hey, you know, a groovy kind of love is not just for a proghead LOL
  What a surprise man .... I just put him above Tony Banks with my 4th vote hahah .........Shocked

Edited by Tillerman88 - December 08 2019 at 14:17
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 17:01
Hackett's To Watch the Storms is a stunning album. Give it a try if you haven't. And there are many more (though it's true that he is a bit inconsistent and has some forgettable stuff scattered all over the place).
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 17:50
I did hear some genesis revisited and let me just say, Neal Morse should not be allowed to sing Return of the Giant Hogweed under any circumstance.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 19:35
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

yeah I just voted for Phil Collins too Smile ... but hey, you know, a groovy kind of love is not just for a proghead LOL
  What a surprise man .... I just put him above Tony Banks with my 4th vote hahah .........Shocked

Right on man, so you put him ahead of Banks and Rutherford. So now of the Three, he's in the lead and that's how it should be.. I mean he's Phil Collins.

Just be careful you don't get your prog card taken lol.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 22:03
Really like comparing apples to oranges. Hackett is the most proggy. Rutherford and Collins are essentially pop artists. Anthony Phillips is king of the 12 string guitar, Gabriel is into rhythms and Banks lends himself to film scores.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 22:13
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Brilliant assessment. Just to add one comment, he's one of the few artists whose voice has improved with age. Still not good enough a voice to carry a whole suite of music, by certainly good enough as a secondary supporting voice to add color to the vocals in his music. 

thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 02:27
Hackett > Gabriel > Phillips > the rest.

Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte
Peter Gabriel - Melt or So
Anthony Phillips - The Geese and the Ghost
Tony Banks - 5
Phil Collins - Face Value (?)
Mike Rutherford - ...I don't remember his stuff at all

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 04:44
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Mike Rutherford - ...I don't remember his stuff at all

Not many people do. I would have been amazed if Mike Rutherford had received any votes in the poll, although someone may vote for him now, just to prove me wrong. Smile 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 04:52
Phil Collins. He may have ruined prog but at least he's better than solo Tony Banks. Clown 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>