Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discipline fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discipline fans
    Posted: December 08 2019 at 18:53
Great American prog band. Similar to Van Der Graff. Any fans? Love all their material but Unfolded like Staircase is my fave.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 19:09
I don't really know them that well but you will find many fans of them on here. They're very popular(in prog circles anyway)despite big gaps between albums. 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 19:20
I’ve been trying to get into them, on first listen nothing really resonated.... but the same can be said about vdgg the first time I heard them.

But yeah there’s tons of fans here
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 20:12
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I’ve been trying to get into them, on first listen nothing really resonated.... but the same can be said about vdgg the first time I heard them.

But yeah there’s tons of fans here

I think that's because they finally released a third( fourth if you count the early pre first album recordings that were released later)album in 2011. If it wasn't for that I think they would have gone under most people's radar for the most part but still be more known than Mastermind(a band from the 90's who I bring up every so often because they deserve more attention Tongue). Kind of the same thing happened with Echolyn. When they reformed in 2000 that helped their prog visibility also. Now if only Mastermind get their act together. Actually that won't guarantee anything because Djam Karet is still around making albums and they are unfortunately still pretty obscure too. Ok, end of rant. I actually just ordered the latest Discipline(captives of the wine dark sea)from Kinesis in part because of this thread. Maybe not the best place to start but we'll see how it goes.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 09 2019 at 09:31
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 02:41
Unfolded like Staircase is a huge favourite of mine - look also into the 2016 solo album by Parmenter
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 04:23
What about trying to put such threads in the right subforum? It's not that difficult...
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 04:44
Good album by King Crimson
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 05:27
Yeah, I also like Unfolded like Staircase. I got this album because of the number of reviews that indicated a similarity to VdGG. But apart from a few brief moments, I don't see the similarity. Nevertheless, in spite of failing to see the similarity, I did enjoy the album.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 06:42
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

What about trying to put such threads in the right subforum? It's not that difficult...
So so sorry. Would you have replied to the question if it was in the correct subforum?
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 06:48
I saw them play at Nearfest way back in the day. While they were good, they paled in comparison to the other bands I saw that day as Koenjihyakkei, Peter Hammill and Liquid Tension Experiment also played that day. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 07:55
Unlike most of the other posters, my favourite album from Discipline is To Shatter All Accord - which was also my introduction to them. I found their latest rather disappointing, though the instrumental "The Roaring Game" is outstanding. Anyway, I've seen them three times (possibly even four) in the past few years, and always enjoyed their show immensely. It does help that they're a bunch of very nice guys. Matthew Parmenter might look daunting on stage, but he's a very laid-back guy with a great sense of humour.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 08:01
I like Discipline.  They are actually a local band.  I have been fortunate enough to see them play a couple of times and see Matthew Parmenter play a solo show.  I met him and Matthew Kennedy after a gig where Matthew Parmenter performed solo as an opening act for Tiles, another local band.  Chris Herin, who was the guitarist for Tiles, is now the guitarist for Discipline.  I talked to them about how they reminded me of VDGG and they said that they were influences as well as being big fans of Magma.  Anyhow, Unfolded Like Staircase and Push and Profit were great albums and I also enjoy their comeback albums To Shatter All Accord and Captives of the Wine Dark Sea.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 08:33
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

So so sorry. Would you have replied to the question if it was in the correct subforum?

Ask the moderators for moving the thread (and your other flood of misplaced threads) and you'll find out.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 11:49

Ask the moderators for moving the thread (and your other flood of misplaced threads) and you'll find out.
Why do you need to be a jerk about this thread and my "flood of misplaced threads"?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 16:57
Oddly enough or perhaps not it was Phideaux who turned me on to Discipline and I agree Unfolded Like Staircase, my first one, is my fav but I haven't heard a bad one.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 09 2019 at 16:59
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 17:03
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Why do you need to be a jerk about this thread and my "flood of misplaced threads"?

As far as I'm aware, I didn't insult anyone. You can easily avoid this kind of discussion.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 17:36

As far as I'm aware, I didn't insult anyone. You can easily avoid this kind of discussion.
You insulted be by saying "it's not that difficult"... like I'm a moron for posting something in the wrong place. And then you insult me again, mentioning my flood of other misplaced threads. Again your comments are pointing out my error and your superiority. Like you would never do something that heinous.

This thread is about a band so if you have nothing to add please stop the criticism.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 17:44
Battle of the Forum Senior Members???
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 18:06
Yeah we're doing a show match for you to have fun! Tongue
Sorry Mr Grumpy, I'd have thought you agree with me that it's not that difficult, so I wasn't exactly expressing my superiority, rather my annoyance. Now you'll be annoyed, but I told you it is easy not to have this discussion. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 19:32
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Battle of the Forum Senior Members???

Well at least you win the prize for weirdest gif. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>