Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I want 20 minutes (and more) long songs!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 11:10
Duel with the Devil - Transatlantic
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 11:17
Since I have nothing to do and I keep track of things I like in a spreadsheet... Good luck listening to all this stuff if you choose to do so!

Abel Ganz - So Far (23:30)
After the Fall - Motherland (20:41)
Anima Mundi - Spring Knocks on the Door of Men (26:32)
Anyone's Daughter - Adonis (24:16)
Apogee - Swallow the Illusion (21:30)
Argos - Cruel Symmetry (20:43)
Atoll - L'Araignée-Mal (21:46)
Ayreon - The Theory of Everything, Phases I-IV (four tracks, 23:30, 21:24, 22:28, 22:14)
Ken Baird - August (19:52) <--close!
Bijou - El Profeta (24:10) [in 2 tracks]
Blue Effect - Nová Syntéza 2 (22:14)
Brighteye Brison - The Rise of Brighteye Brison (23:05)
Cheeto's Magazine - Nova America (25:24)
Chetarca - Oceanic Suite (24:03)
Citizen Cain - Somewhere But Yesterday (23:18)
Cliffhanger - Ragnarök (24:54)
Conqueror - Morgana (31:14)
Crucible - An Imp's Tale (21:10)
DeeExpus - King of Number 33 (26:39)
Deluge Grander - Inaugural Bash (26:55)
Devil Doll - Eliogabalus (24:43)
Discipline - Into the Dream (22:00)
Discipline - Rogue (24:04)
Dream Theater - Octavarium (23:59)
Sean Filkins - Epitaph for a Mariner (20:50)
Fish - Plague of Ghosts (25:06)
Flower Kings - Stardust We Are (25:03)
Flower Kings - Love Is the Only Answer (24:28)
Galleon - The Wanderer (21:16)
Galleon - The Ocean (52:07)
Glass Hammer - Behind the Great Beyond (20:27)
Glass Hammer - If the Sun (24:03)
High Wheel - Blind Archer (31:58)
IQ - The Great Spirit Way (21:44)
IQ - Fallout (19:54) <--close!
IZZ - Deafening Silence (21:35)
Kaipa - Skenet Bedrar (21:43)
Kaipa - Mindrevolutions (25:47)
Madelgaire - Les banquets d'equinoxe (27:14) [across 3 tracks]
Magenta - The White Witch (20:55)
Magenta - Man the Machine (24:37)
Magenta - Genetesis (22:04)
Magenta - The Ballad of Samuel Layne (20:35)
Magenta - Metamorphosis (23:01)
Magenta - Trojan (26:01)
Magic Pie - Change (20:04)
Malibran - Le Porte del Silenzio (27:03)
Mangrove - Hidden Dreams (20:58)
Mars Volta - Cassandra Gemini (32:27)
Monarch Trail - Sky Above the Sun (20:14)
Moon Safari - We Spin the World (24:52)
Neal Morse - A Whole Nother Trip (23:56)
Neal Morse - So Many Roads (28:43)
Neal Morse - Seeds of Gold (25:59)
Morse Code - Procréation (26:14)
Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra (20:32)
Nexus - Odisea, El Regreso (27:49)
Nexus - La Aventura en el Mar (23:20)
Nil - Le gardien (20:11)
Ritual - A Dangerous Journey (26:32)
Sebastian Hardie - Windchase (20:36)
Shadow Gallery - Ghostship (22:01) [across multiple tracks]
Simon Says - Brother Where You Bound? (26:33)
Solar Project - Thunderstorm (30:24)
Spock's Beard - The Water (23:07)
Spock's Beard - The Healing Colors of Sound (21:53) [across multiple tracks]
Spock's Beard - The Great Nothing (27:03)
Nad Sylvan - To Turn the Other Side (22:06)
Tangent - In Darkest Dreams (19:59) <--close!
Tangent - A Place in the Queue (25:14)
Tangent - Morning Journey & Arrival (22:54)
Transatlantic - Stranger in Your Soul (26:05)
Transatlantic - Into the Blue (25:11)
Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope (31:53)
Triumvirat - Mister Ten Percent (21:31)
Versus X - The Mirror of Division (22:28)
Versus X - Cutting the Veil (21:50)
Versus X - Into the Vast Unknown (23:39)
Visible Wind - The Awakening (21:02)
Scott Walker - SDSS 1416+13B (Zercon, a Flagpole Sitter) (21:36) <--this one will blow your mind!
Yes - The Revealing Science of God (22:22)
Yes - The Gales of Delirium (21:49)
Yes - Fly From Here (23:47) [across 6 tracks]
Zen Rock and Roll - Circle (23:05)
Zenit - The Daydream Suite (24:35)

And I apologize for tooting my own horn...

Superluminal Pachyderm - Wrinkle the Eyes on the First Dog (20:45)

Superluminal Pachyderm - Voices from the Nose (26:34)

Superluminal Pachyderm - Doctor Doofus and Dump Truck Jr. (25:02)

Superluminal Pachyderm - Should I Eat the Amplifier? (23:36)
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 00:22
^WOW!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 07:01
I made an extensive list on Rate Your Music a while back. Almost 500 albums that have at least one prog track 20 minutes or longer

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 07:24
^ Be nice to bookmark that, could be a useful tool for me for fairly quickly finding 20 minutes plus tracks that I know to recommend in future topics such as this. Such resources/ long lists I like. For instance, I had meant to mention Ash Ra Tempel's "Traummaschine" but forgot and ended up making a second list. Had I perused your list even quickly I would have added it, and I would have spent less time looking though music I know and love (that I know and love it of course doesn't necessarily mean that the OP looking for recommendations will like it, though, and when possible I like to fine-tune mt recs to that persons tastes -- even if not to my taste). I commonly try not to make my lists really long in such topics as this that can get overwhelming for the OP, and can put the person off attempting to listen through the tracks mentioned in the thread, let alone comment on the choices.

By the way, I wish it were easier to compile the choices in topics such as this, and one always seems to get some repetition of choices. Bound to happen since such posts can take time to prepare and others get in while one is researching and composing one's post -- ergo more repetition as one hadn't the chance to read through other responses. If more than one person mention the same, that can be added reason to make that particular choice more of a priority to check out.

Edited by Logan - December 13 2019 at 07:33
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 08:01
^ yeah, Logan :)  I make lists like this exactly for navigation purposes. These threads are very interesting but impossible to follow after they continue. I actually made a similar thread and all you wonderful proggers gave me many suggestions when i was making that list.

Still open to anything that's missing! Impossible to keep up with everything out there :)

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 08:05
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Citizen Cain - Somewhere But Yesterday (23:18)
Simon Says - Brother Where You Bound? (26:33)

I might add that these two songs are fuсking amazing!
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 08:20
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ yeah, Logan :)  I make lists like this exactly for navigation
purposes. These threads are very interesting but impossible to follow
after they continue. I actually made a similar thread and all you
wonderful proggers gave me many suggestions when i was making that list.

Still open to anything that's missing! Impossible to keep up with everything out there :)

Such lists are great, keep up the good work! I need to start making more use of them, and maybe make some of my own (although I often use RYM as a   resource, I've been a bit intimidated somehow to get started contributing to the site). I have found a lot of great music through such lists at RYM.

I've defended RYM here before, as with any good site, to use it as a useful resource, there is something of learning curve, and I consider the "lists" to be one of its greatest features. I have not used those enough, mostly come across them in google searches, like when I was looking up acid folk music.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 08:52

I made an extensive list on Rate Your Music a while back. Almost 500 albums that have at least one prog track 20 minutes or longer

Outstanding list and likely one of the best "progressive" listening lists altogether.

Only thing missing in there, is ... Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze ... can't seem to live without them!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 10:47
Capability Brown - Circumstances (21:05) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SdGE5tglB4
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 12:54
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Outstanding list and likely one of the best "progressive" listening lists altogether.

Only thing missing in there, is ... Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze ... can't seem to live without them!

I would argue that such artists should have their own, isolated lists. In ambient music time is taken differently and long songs usually have nothing to do with "epicness" of prog "epics".
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 15:26

siLLY puPPy: you need to add Anonymus II by Focus off Focus 3. Yes, on the LP it comes in two parts with part 1 falling just short of 20 min and you had to flip the LP to listen to the end of the track or "Anonymus II (conclusion)". However, on all CD releases of the album Anonymus II is one continuous track; clocking in at 26:24.
Cheers
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 15:50
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

siLLY puPPy: you need to add Anonymus II by Focus off Focus 3. Yes, on the LP it comes in two parts with part 1 falling just short of 20 min and you had to flip the LP to listen to the end of the track or "Anonymus II (conclusion)". However, on all CD releases of the album Anonymus II is one continuous track; clocking in at 26:24.
Cheers

Wow! Good find! Works for me and will add, thanks!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 15:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I decided not to add progressive electronic artists. This list is strictly for progressive music that has rock aspects. Some of Tangerine Dream's stuff could qualify as rock but none are over 20 minutes that i know of. Schulze doesn't have any rock that i know of. Both artists have more albums than i'll ever hear!

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 23:42
From the list you wrote.
From Yes, there's also The Revealing Science of God, The Gates of Delirium, Awaken (though that's "only" about 15 min, stretching to about 18 on live versions), Endless Dream (also only 15 min), and Mind Drive.
From Pink Floyd, there's also Echoes, the whole Shine on you Crazy Diamond suite, and Dogs (though only about 17 min).
From Mike Oldfield, the other 70's albums (Hergest Ridge and Incantations, plus the new Return to Ommadawn... and I guess many other albums could be considered as single pieces of music, like Songs from Distant Earth).
From Renaissance, the live version of Ashes are Burning is stretched into 24 min, and it's awsome.
Besides those ones, a few otheres that come to my mind are:
In-A-Gadda-da-Vida, from Iron Butterfly (only 17 min, though, and more hard rock than prog).
In held ('twas) in I, from Procol Harum, though the version that I know and like is the one from Transatlantic.
YS Introduzione and Primo Incontro, from Il Balleto di Bronzo, both songs flow together and last nearly 19 min.
All the Seats were Occupied, from Aprhodite's Child.
Hamburger Concerto, from Focus.
Histoires sans Parole, from Harmonium (though only 17 min too).
Octavarium, from Dream Theater.
The Sky Moves Sideways, from Porcupine Tree.
The Whirlwind, from Transatlantic (the whole album).
The Final Breath Before November, from Edison's Children (just about the whole album too).
Raider II, from Steven Wilson.
El Puente, from Cast (18 min).
Empire of the Clouds, from Iron Maiden (18 min).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 06:34
^ if you're talking about my list, the cutoff point was 20 minutes. I added tracks in the 19 minute range as NEAR MISSES. If i extended to 15 minutes or something it would be huuuuuuuuuuge. 20 minutes was the cutoff point because that was roughly the length of a side of vinyl during the classic era

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 07:18
OK I didn't read the entire thread but how about Jethro Tull's Life Is A Long Song? Which isn't actually a long song TongueLOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 09:42

It's worth remarking that sometimes a single piece of music is divided into multiple tracks on the CD. For example, Sebastian Hardie - Four Moments - Four Moments is divided into four tracks on the CD I have, totalling 20:41. Another example, Jean-Luc Ponty - Imaginary Voyage - Imaginary Voyage is also divided into four tracks on the CD I have, totalling 19:54.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 10:52
^ yeah sometimes it's hard to tell what's really a track or a series of tracks disguised as one.

I'm simply going by what the album says. If it says one track that is a track

keypusher View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keypusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 11:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>