Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSieges Even - WOW!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sieges Even - WOW!
    Posted: September 27 2005 at 15:07

Listen to this:

http://www.siegeseven.com/music.htm

(download their song "Sequence 1: The Weight")

This is really nice. Brilliant production, very unique ideas. This is how modern prog metal should sound.

Edit: This is even borderline Neo-Prog ... I like it!

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 15:12

More mp3 music from SIEGES EVEN

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=696

Indeed , a great BAND !!!! on of my FAV !

Prog On !
decypher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 16:18
on one side it pisses me off, that Sieges Even deny any reproach at being "SLIGHTLY" influenced in the past by WatchTower and others like Rush and Fates Warning, even Sting. I mean it's so obvious, read the lyrics of "Corridors" - it sounds like a german interpretation of "Subdivisions" translated into english...  their first record "Life Cycle" - hm, there's a song called "Life Cycles" by WatchTower, the first song on that album is "Repression and Resistance". WatchTowers' "Life Cycles" was on "Control and Resistance". Then songtitles like "Anthem", "A tangerine dream", "tangerine windows of solace" (why do I think of another epic track of the late 80's prog metal - Fates Warnings "Ivory gate of dreams"), Dream Theaters "A change of seasons" seems to have some influence... (or "Roads to Iliad", reminds slightly of "on to Illiad" by Hades, the band where Alan Tecchio, one of WatchTowers singers, sung...) and thats only the song titles, listen to the rush-type of chords, WatchTower style breaks on the first album and so on........

(this might sound funny but everyone who was in the prog metal scene at that time probably can instantly agree and understand the similarities I am talking about, I mean it was a much smaller scene with one or two records a month, at that time it was much more obvious than it might appear these days)

aaaaaaaaaanyway: "Steps" is one of the big 80's prog metal albums to me, it's brilliant, their debut and "A sense of change" were great too, the following albums were ok and their new release sounds like the best they have done since "A sense of change of seasons". I just don't understand why those guys don't admit the big influence other bands had in their early times, they should get over it, then I will too!

Edited by decypher
Nacho220 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 17:25

Indeed a great new album from Sieges Even. I had the chance to talk with Arno this past weekend about the new album and being the newbie in the band. I'll soon do a Sieges Even feature on the new album as well as air the interview on my progressive rock program on WBWC. I'll keep everyone in the loop!

Allen

Allen Thompson

Operations Director, Co-Founder | OhioProg
Host of Somewhere Between Sunrise & Sunset
"your program of progressive rock" on 88.3FM, WBWC
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 18:11
Well firstly I don't like the vocal style or the guitar tone and it repeats itself too much at the beginning. So far it's not looking good - I preferred their older stuff and I didn't even like that very much . But I'll listen to it all a couple of times and see if anything (positive) grabs me
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 18:12
OK a positive thing: there's a nice balance between all the different parts - a nice variety of tones.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 18:19
And I like the drum sound. The solo at about nine minutes in doesn't seem to do anything  and I'm never going to like the vocals. The instrumental bit at the very end was nice though. I think it's fair to say all in all I'm not convinced
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 18:20
Listening again, the "heavy" riff is really starting to annoy the hell out of me!
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 18:28
Very smooth sound with excellent production- though a bit hard to see the metal label in the sample MP3, Mike. Is all their stuff like this, or is this one of their lighter songs.
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 18:35

What an unexpected and therefore even more pleasant surprise. Now I know that Sieges Even know what MELODY is. This is actually first song I hear from them which bears melody (and beautiful one!) in it. I listened to Steps and two other albums by them (do not remember the names), and it annoyed me no end by an absolute lack of melodies in their songs. So I decided that this band is definitely not my cup of tea (despite all the complexity I generally like in music) and closed this chapter. But now (and thanks to MikeEnRegalia) I already want to get this album - their latest, as I understand

carefulwiththataxe
spo1977 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 00:20
They are a great band who always had great music but bad singers with the exception of "A Sense of Change".

I agree they are influenced by Rush. Maybe they are in denial or the influence is at a subconcious level. As for the 80s I think it was a bit of a Leibniz/Newton situation. Bands were heading in similar directions with similar influences and ended up sounding similar not neccesarily copying each other.
spo1977 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 00:21
By the way, their recent sucess pleases me as I thought it was long over due.  Their new singer is also great.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 01:18
I went to that link and it said this:

"Sorry, thanks to GEMA nothing here!"

What's that all about?

spo1977 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 02:47
They had a problem with the publisher and can no longer provide the download of the song.  I would reccomend you buy the cd though. It is great.
W.Chuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 03:53
Their cd A SENSE OF CHANGE is incredible!!
As well as their to last cds "Sophisticated" and "Uneven", but you can't get those anymore, their are sold, even the band members don't have one left

And how did Dream Theater's "A Change of Season" have influenced Sieges Even? Sieges Even had a song called A Change of Sieges on their album "A Sense of Change", which came out 1991! And I, when I listen to A Sense of Change of feel remembered of things Dream Theater did afterwards.

Edited by W.Chuck

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 05:24
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

I went to that link and it said this:

"Sorry, thanks to GEMA nothing here!"

What's that all about?

It is an organisation which tries to protect the rights of the song writers ... go figure.

Post Reply Post Reply