Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis: Seconds Out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haerskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 13:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by haerskar haerskar wrote:

However it's mixed, produced played around with it comes off as a complete show with the exception of Cinema Show that features the wonderfully concise drumming of Bill Bruford. I mean it really stands a out. I just listened to my vinyl copy that I actually bought in October 1977. I remember because we skipped school to wait at the record store to open in the  morning. For some reason back then albums were always released on a Tuesday. This and the previous live album are a couple of the best live progrock albums from that glorious era.
As long as all of the audio components are mixed in the proper time relationships to each other, it has to sound like a complete show. however, how good or bad that "complete" show is has nothing to do with the recording process or mixing process. A good or bad performance cannot be enhanced or altered unless there is studio overdubbing done later on. And that's a discussion for another day.

What I meant was that the selection of tracks reflected that transition period. I think the recordings were taken from three shows in June 77 and the Bruford track was taken from a 1976 show on the Trick Of The Tail tour. It's like listening to an almost complete Genesis show from 1977 which is cool. I was able to see them on the ATTW3 tour so this was pretty close.
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 15:07
Seconds Out is a wonderful album and the best LIVE ALBUM Genesis ever put out. Some of the versions like Cinema Show, Fifth off Firth, Carpet Crawlers, Afterglow & Supper's Ready are just so emotional that you cannot help but fall in love here. That said, it's not on par with their studio efforts of Foxtrot, SEBTP & The Lamb. 
Deafmoon
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 02:25
Originally posted by deafmoon deafmoon wrote:

Seconds Out is a wonderful album and the best LIVE ALBUM Genesis ever put out. Some of the versions like Cinema Show, Fifth off Firth, Carpet Crawlers, Afterglow & Supper's Ready are just so emotional that you cannot help but fall in love here. That said, it's not on par with their studio efforts of Foxtrot, SEBTP & The Lamb. 

Actually I prefer all those tracks' versions on Seconds Out, except for Fourth Of ForthWink

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 04:35
I have heard this only once, picture I got then was that it wasnīt anything special, they played songs quite as good as they played songs in "Three Sides Live", of course there are better songs in Seconds Out. I have liked much more first live, I just prefer Peter in vocals & also think their playing was then much more intensive. Anyway this is the only Genesis 1969-79 period album that I havenīt got, going to buy it someday, but because I havenīt find it their greatest anyway, I havenīt got hurry to buy it. Maybe I will listen it again someday.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 10:21
I like the crowd response at the beginning of Squonk, a great way to start a live album.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 04:32
Just listened this whole through and I got earlier right picture of this album. But anyway I enjoyed it a lot! Seems their tour then was "letīs play the hits to the fans", I donīt have anything against "I Know What I Like", but really would have like to hear "Dancing With the Moonlight Knight" instead of it. Of course funny to hear Collins banking the tambourine to his head, also there are little pieces from "Moonlight" & "Stagnation". Also like somebody already said, really would like to hear more songs from "Lamb", the title song with ending of "Musical Box" are the greatest moments together with "Cinema Show" (not at least because Bill in drums). I think they should have leave "Supperīs" out and put more songs those two great last Gabriel-albums. I think reason to take it with has been it wasnīt on the first live, anyway I think the earlier versions with Gabriel are lot better, although this is not also totally bad. Whatīs odd there are only "Afterglow" although that was "Wuthering"-tour. Well I quess they have played more from that album but for some reason not included those into this, maybe because it just came. Anyway decent album all the way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123