Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in Your Face

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 16:36
hah..  that cover of the Fripp Sylvian album still gives me nightmares when I think of it.. much less grab it to pop in the player. His is the face of evil man.. pure evil...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 18:09
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm thinking more Flying Luttenbachers, or Upsilon Acrux, you guys are picking stuff that's way too gentle.

How about Yowie - Synchromysticism:

That;s more like it!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 08:20
Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep them coming if you have more.

Really good to get some from East Europe as I am not at all familiar. There definitely seems to be a rich history. I will need listen and see what I can get hold of through Amazon Music Unlimited. A few of these are there!

The Magma suggestions are appreciated. I had never really listened to much before. 

The RIO/Avant suggestions are also appreciated. It's not a genre I know much of. I have liked various artists in the past but never really delved in. I am putting a Yowie track on my playlist. I think these (RIO/avant music) need to be mixed in with other types of tracks for the plane ride. I have to be careful that I don't doze off and wake up screaming in the middle of a track.

I am not flying out until Friday, so that'll give me time to update my playlist.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 08:23
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

When I think of "Prog in your face" I think of songs that immediately hit you over the head with strange rhythms and/or multi-layered melodies/harmonies. Off the top of my head, examples could include "Generale!" by PFM, "Ace Of Wands" by Steve Hackett, "Neurotica" by King Crimson, "Sound Chaser" by Yes, "Cogs In Cogs" by Gentle Giant and "Brujo" by Area. Perhaps also "Nekomajin vs" by Nuito if you have a tolerance for math rock Wink

Good suggestions. At least a couple of these are going on my playlist. I haven't decided on the Nuito track but I am open to math rock. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 09:24
I am off flying today. 5 hours in air. I have my playlist at 38 songs for 4 hours 45 minutes so should cover it. Thanks again to those of you who made suggestions. The playlist:

Il Balletto di Bronzo - Introduzione
Yowie - Ineffable Dolphin Communion
Tool - The Grudge
Yes - Machine Messaiah
Frank Zappa - Five-Five-Five
King Crimson - VROOOM
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer - The Barbarian
Jonas Hellborg / Shawn Lane / Kofi Baker - Rice with the Angels
Radiohead - 2 + 2 = 5
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
FM - Slaughter in Roboot Village
Ozric Tentacles - White Rhino Tea
Steve Hackett - Ace of Wands
Echolyn - Island
John Paul Jones - Zooma
Hawkwind - The Psychedelic Warlords (Dissappear in Smoke)
65daysofstatic - Mountainhead
Colosseum II - The Scorch
Kultivator - Hoga Hastar
IQ - Frequency
Pink Floyd - One of These Days
Ex Eye - Opposition/Perihelion; the Coil
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Generale
Onsengen Ensemble - Dogma MMXVIII
Birds and Bulidings - Birds Flying into Buildings
Kansas - Journey from Mariabronn
Liquid Tension Experiment - Paradigm Shift
Opeth - The Drapery Falls
Jambinai - Square Wave
Al Di Meola - The Wizard
Trioscapes - Blast Off
Marillion - Assassing
The Mars Volta - Drunkship of Lanterns
Yuka & Chronoship - Argo - the Ship Argos
Magma - Da Zeuhl Wortz Mekanik
Gong - Master Builder
Sonny Sharrock Band - Dick Dogs
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 15:51
Man, speaking of playlists... I have a my collection mostly ripped to this computer, Vroomfondel.  I love to use Winamp on shuffle just to see what comes up a random.  Making a playlist of that size would be quite an undertaking.  Keep on progging.  One of my newer discoveries from out of Russia would be Iamthemorning.  Plenty of stuff on your list that I know well and plenty I have never heard before. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 27 2019 at 15:54
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 09:16
Synphonic Bombast Overkill

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 14:44
Liquid Tension Experiment......Universal Mind
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 14:50
The one that comes to mind if I'm understanding the "in your face" correctly(even though I haven't heard it in a long time)is nucleus by Anekdoten.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 28 2019 at 14:53
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 06:02
Hi,

Easy for me on this one ... even though there are a few of them out there, and Amon Duul 2 takes the cake here ... by having some really strong and incendiary listens ... that most fans can not handle very well ... the lyrics for "Mozambique" are scary ... but then, we already think that history is just another WD movie!

My choice?

ELP's Tarkus ... and guess what the lyrics are about ... in your face! ... don't give me lies ... punctuated by a drum ... it really does not get too much better than that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12