Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Fans In Your 50's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 02:33
It took me three years to realise just how good Tales from Topographic Oceans was. I now have so.much prog I can't dedicate such time for new stuff, so its quick fix soundy likey prog for me at the present..
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 06:57
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

It took me three years to realise just how good Tales from Topographic Oceans was. I now have so.much prog I can't dedicate such time for new stuff, so its quick fix soundy likey prog for me at the present..

So you are looking for albums that sound like Tales from topographic oceans? Good luck with that! Lol.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 08:31
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Well, Nicole if you really want to impress me tell me how much you got into new wave, grunge or 90's alternative. :P My guess would be not much at all. LOL.
  I am actually a huge fan of Talking Heads, the B 52's, Concrete Blond, Romeo Void, Echo & The Bunnymen, XTC, The Bangles, REM, Eurythmics, Oingo Boingo, The Psychedelic Furs, Pearl Jam (and some of Nirvana and Jane's Addiction and Black Flag, too, because of the erudite Henry Rollins).  And some more that aren't coming to mind immediately.  But there ya go.  

Not bad. You never cease to surprise me. Clap I like some of them myself and several others that would fall under the same general umbrella.
*curtseys*
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 08:34
Hate to admit but I'm barely in this group on the long side.  My first album was Dark Side of the Moon after listening to my brothers.  Still like my CD's, but I'm slowly getting some recordings on digital.  I rip most everything so I can listen with my phone.  I have a record collection but haven't had a record player in 10 years.  Most any album I had that was worth while, I replaced with a CD.  Yes, a very well recorded album will sound better than a well recorded CD on good equipment.  At least that is what I remember hearing back in the day.  Funny that lp's have made a comeback of sorts after hearing about how CDs were the way to go.  Don't really look for new prog but I am up for most anything from the old masters.  Listen to other forms of music more than prog now, but when I come back to it, it is great. 

Edited by tdfloyd - December 21 2019 at 08:35
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 12:18
Saying vinyls is like saying fishes. ;p
However, in Polish it's perfectlyy fine. There isn no such word as "record" in that language.

Edited by Hrychu - December 21 2019 at 12:19
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 14:14

Well, Nicole if you really want to impress me tell me how much you got into new wave, grunge or 90's alternative. :P My guess would be not much at all. LOL.
  I am actually a huge fan of Talking Heads, the B 52's, Concrete Blond, Romeo Void, Echo & The Bunnymen, XTC, The Bangles, REM, Eurythmics, Oingo Boingo, The Psychedelic Furs, Pearl Jam (and some of Nirvana and Jane's Addiction and Black Flag, too, because of the erudite Henry Rollins).  And some more that aren't coming to mind immediately.  But there ya go.  

Not bad. You never cease to surprise me. Clap I like some of them myself and several others that would fall under the same general umbrella.
*curtseys*

Some of my favorites from the later non prog(although some could be proggy at times)are smashing pumpkins, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Live, Rage Against the Machine, Red hot chilipepers(mostly 90's era), Nirvana(to a degree), REM, U2, Talking Heads, The Cars, The Police, The Smiths, The Pixies and on and on. A lot of this stuff(not so much the grunge though)I got into through my brother who was never big into prog at all except for Yes and a little bit of King Crimson and early Genesis(he was a big PG fan more than Genesis).
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 14:43

I pretty much got that from your posts here and about, TCat.  

Shucks....and all this time I thought I was mysterious.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 14:58
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I pretty much got that from your posts here and about, TCat.  

Shucks....and all this time I thought I was mysterious.

I'm pretty good at reading between lines....and usually can remember who said what....at least for a while.  :)  The indie-folk didn't surprise me, after the Johnny Cash remark somewhere else around here.  I like a lot of indie singer-songwriters, too, which is off the generally beaten path of prog.  I like the big tent idea.  

Edited by Snicolette - December 21 2019 at 15:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 14:59

*curtseys*

Some of my favorites from the later non prog(although some could be proggy at times)are smashing pumpkins, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Live, Rage Against the Machine, Red hot chilipepers(mostly 90's era), Nirvana(to a degree), REM, U2, Talking Heads, The Cars, The Police, The Smiths, The Pixies and on and on. A lot of this stuff(not so much the grunge though)I got into through my brother who was never big into prog at all except for Yes and a little bit of King Crimson and early Genesis(he was a big PG fan more than Genesis).
  Yes, a lot of the same here.  :)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 15:08
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm 55 (how did that happen!)
  I don't know how I got to be 54 but I want the people responsible caught and held accountable. TongueTongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 21 2019 at 15:09
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 15:12
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Sorry, I'm 60, so I'm a year too old for this blog, but my favourite kind of music is American Psychedelic Rock - as you can probably guess from my choice of username - although I didn't really get into psychedelic music in a big way until I first went online in 2010. Unbelievably, I'd never even heard of Iron Butterfly and "In-a-Gadda-da-Vida" (In the Garden of Eden) before that time. Smile 
  I wouldn't consider being 50 something a strict cut off point for commenting but I have to draw the line at plus or minus 5 years LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 15:20
Originally posted by Tychovski Tychovski wrote:

My best friend's older sister loaned me St. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Close To The Edge on vinyl.  That was the start.  I don't cringe at vinyls.  I lovingly remember jamming cardboard against my Point Of Know Return 8-track to get it to play.  I like digital, am not too fond yet of streaming and would prefer hard copies, but money and space have a way of conspiring against that.  I try to stay modern, but am finding it more difficult the older I get.  (I loved Soap!)
It's just the term vinyl that I find cringeworthy.  As a format it was the bomb back in the day.  And you can never beat some of the great progressive rock album covers - Brain Salad Surgery, In A Glass House, Thick As A Brick, A Passion Play, Living In The Past, Olias of Sunhillow, i.  Even the basic gatefolds were awesome.
Big smile  But 8-Tracks... *-Tracks were the devil's spawn. LOL

grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 15:51
two albums elp 1st record and king crimson in the court of the crimson king
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 16:45
Wow, this thread has lasted a lot longer than my late 40's thread. Lol. I guess most people my age are listening to rap, hair metal and motely crue, def leppard and Wham. :P
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 17:04

Wow, this thread has lasted a lot longer than my late 40's thread. Lol. I guess most people my age are listening to rap, hair metal and motely crue, def leppard and Wham. :P

I'm not listening to Rap, Glam Metal, Motley Crue, Def Leppard or Wham, but that's probably because I'm 60. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 21 2019 at 17:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 17:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm not listening to Rap, Glam Metal, Motley Crue, Def Leppard or Wham, but that's probably because I'm 60. Smile

Don't like the term "hair metal" huh? Maybe that's a US thing. The point was the bands seemed more concerned with  their hair than the music. A lot of the musicians were a bit androgynous looking. For the most part the only androgynous looking musician I liked was Bowie.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 21 2019 at 17:10
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 04:48
53 here. Obviously too young to get into prog when it was really hot in the early seventies. When I started my interest in music around 1979, it was a bit schizophrenic. I could clearly see that prog was considered a thing of the past and the new "cool stuff" was very different. My first discoveries were Manfred Mann's Earthband (kind of by accident; my father played it because he had it flying around as tape in his car but he didn't really know what it was) and Pink Floyd, which was easy because The Wall was so big, although I found out quickly that I like their earlier stuff more. On the other hand New Wave and Post Punk  fascinated me and the Cure were another major early discovery. I was kind of ambiguous about what prog hereoes such as Yes, Genesis and Jethro Tull did at the time; I was happy to have the chance to see these giants live in the early eighties and had some time for their new material, but well, it wasn't quite like what they had done 5-10 years earlier. I think I was enough of an independent music mind to build up my own taste, reading and buying cheap albums on the flea market, rather than following some trendsetters. My cool cousin was into Devo and Bauhaus and this kind of stuff, which I found OK, but I couldn't help finding that "yesterday's" prog grabbed me more. I wasn't alone though, I had one friend and music partner who was a big Pink Floyd fan and would listen to some prog and some classic rock (and he got me into Art Zoyd), and another was into the more accessible side of prog, Barclay James Harvest, Alan Parsons, Genesis after Gabriel, Supertramp. Another one listened to Grateful Dead, Kansas, Roxy Music. Bands ike Gong, Can, Amon Duul II etc. I discovered on my own. So I had some good exchange despite the fact that we were a bit out of our own time.

I personally was always after discovering good new stuff, I always wanted something fresh, never just stick to the seventies, although at some point in my life, in my thirties, I didn't do that much research and suddenly discovered that I had missed a whole lot of things although I still appreciated some new stuff (incredibly I lost track of the Cardiacs at the time, whom I had already discovered in the early eighties, but I didn't come back to them until the didn't play live anymore Cry).

Rather than getting into neo-prog, which never really convinced me despite bringing forth the odd good album, I welcomed Talk Talk and post rock, and I like the fact that there's so much unique and creative music out there these days by musicians who don't depend on it for making a living, although it's a pity that by and large they couldn't. 

Maybe the major characteristic of being a prog fan at my age group (not so sure whether this holds for those 5 years older) is the conscious decision to get into something that at the time was seen as not cool and a thing of the past, despite these "dinosaurs" still being around and appreciated in some quarters (and at the time it was enough to be 35 to be a music dinosaur, so what am I now?).
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 05:03
Still fifty turning fifty-one on Jan 27th; Jean and I are only fifty-three days apart in age.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 06:56
In high school pretty much none of my peers were into prog.  They were more into what was more trendy at the time.  So I gravitated more to being friends with my brother's friends.  I remember this one kid in my freshman year, Jimmy, who was a huge Kiss fan and made fun of me for being a huge Dixie Dregs fan. I didn't see him after that year until around senior year. They tended to separate track kids based on their perceived intelligence, I think.  I still wasn't a Kiss fan but he had become a Dregs/Morse fan. Smile  One of the other things I remember Jimmy for was in a science class he put some shells in a flask and put in a stopper and injected hydrochloric acid in one of the two openings.  It squirted him in the face.  Good thing he had goggles on.  Jimmeh! Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 22 2019 at 06:58

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 07:16
BTW I'd like to put in a plug for a streaming site called House of Prog.  They have live streaming shows with chat.  Everyone is welcome. http://houseofprog.com  There is a show coming up today at 11 AM EST called Crosswinds.  I don't know if it live this weekend or what the schedule is in general for the holiday weeks, but their is a calendar of the current streaming shows. I have discovered a lot of new artists thanks to them. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>