Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums You've Recently Changed Your Mind On

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums You've Recently Changed Your Mind On
    Posted: December 20 2019 at 23:21
Its pretty well known some prog can take a while to really understand or have it click. What albums, if any have you previously not been a fan of that recently clicked for you. For me Larks previously came off as too jammy but after a relisten this past week, I have come to love and appreciate the creative brilliance of it, especially larks part one. 
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 02:08
Great topic.  I've recently started to appreciate Judas Priest's whole catalog whereas before I was more of a casual fan.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 02:56
I'd say the prog albums that have improved on me lately is The Yes Album, did a block post about Yes somewhere and in the process listen to all (70) albums several time (now a year ago i guess) and from being a Yes i did not listen to much, it has become one of my top Yes albums.

Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 03:21
Well, not recently, but in the nineties I couldnīt listen after Roger Floyd albums at all, but started to like them too somewhere 2000`s, although Rogerīs period is still greater. All the way I have started to like some AOR-stuff I used to hate (I believe itīs something to do about getting older).
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 04:53
The Cardiacs catalogue. I used to regard it almost all as unlistenable rubbish but, whilst it is a bit patchy, there are some real gems in there.
Camel Dust and Dreams - I used to think that this was just OK, but since seeing them do several songs live, I've grown to really appreciate the whole album.
Pendragon - every album from Believe onwards. I thought the change in style towards a darker, heavier sound was a mistake and didn't really listen to them that much. Repeated listenings have shown that they are actually very good indeed, though the trilogy from The Window of Life to Not of This World remains my favourite.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 05:51
Threshold's latest double CD 'Legends of the shire' at first it didn't click with me  but after many plays now I see it as a monster classic the works of brilliance and the best CD I have heard in years.  I would have rated it 3 stars first listen now and more recently it's easily 5 stars. 

Edited by Enchant X - December 21 2019 at 05:56
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 06:26
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Threshold's latest double CD 'Legends of the shire' at first it didn't click with me  but after many plays now I see it as a monster classic the works of brilliance and the best CD I have heard in years.  I would have rated it 3 stars first listen now and more recently it's easily 5 stars. 

I do have this CD and bought it on the fact that it is a double concept album....I will spin tbis xmas...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 09:21
Not many, but there are some Neo-prog bands that did not impressed me in the past, and now I'm finding some interesting stuff in their music.  
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 09:53
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

The Cardiacs catalogue. I used to regard it almost all as unlistenable rubbish but, whilst it is a bit patchy, there are some real gems in there.
Camel Dust and Dreams - I used to think that this was just OK, but since seeing them do several songs live, I've grown to really appreciate the whole album.
Pendragon - every album from Believe onwards. I thought the change in style towards a darker, heavier sound was a mistake and didn't really listen to them that much. Repeated listenings have shown that they are actually very good indeed, though the trilogy from The Window of Life to Not of This World remains my favourite.

I’ve always liked the live version of dust and dreams off never let go. Lots of memorable melodies. My two issues with the studio come in the production and filler tracks, nevertheless, the more latimer the better
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 19:37
For me this would definitely be Western Culture by Henry Cow. The first time I listened to it I found it work to try to like it, and really didn't very much. The second time I was like, "hey you know I kind of like this." Then the third time I was like, "Oh yeah." 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 00:25
Mike Oldfield's Amarok was a stinker for me, now I don't think it's that bad even if still not a favorite.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 07:59
I'm enjoying Nursery Crime more than I used to because the production bothered me---but the mix in the box set I have is well done. 
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 09:22
This year I've been discovering the IQ albums of the 21th century. Usually it takes a while before an album really clicks. For instance; I heard The Road of Bones when it was released and though it was nothing new under the sun. Though not as innovative as Resistance, it's still a fine album. Same counts for Dark Matter and Frequenty.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 19:43
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Mike Oldfield's Amarok was a stinker for me, now I don't think it's that bad even if still not a favorite.

Still can't get into it. Where are the riffs and the hooks?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 00:30
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I'm enjoying Nursery Crime more than I used to because the production bothered me---but the mix in the box set I have is well done. 

+1
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 00:33
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Still can't get into it. Where are the riffs and the hooks?

There is nothing normal about that album so it has to be taken on it's terms. It's a bit of 'mind fart' but then were are talking about one of the greatest music genius's of all time.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 09:31
Early albums by Midnight Oil and The Tubes. Both say that they were influenced by prog and I do hear the connection. Nothing to write home about but interesting all the same.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 12:18
Not particularly changing my mind as I'd never really listened properly before, but this year I've come to appreciate Misplaced Childhood, ITCOTCK and Karn Evil 9 after giving them a good listen.

(notwithstanding some of the prolonged noodling on ITCOTCK!)
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 12:21
Ok adding thick as a brick to my list, really listened last night, damn sh*ts good
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 13:01
I used to mock a couple of friends of mine (and a female co-worker) who were/are like devoted to Iron Maiden, and well ... since I got a DIY Best Of one guy compiled & offered me ... I started really enjoying (a lot) that huge R'N'R beast  - and had to swallow my tongue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>