Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums You've Recently Changed Your Mind On

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 07:36
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I'm enjoying Nursery Crime more than I used to because the production bothered me---but the mix in the box set I have is well done. 

God, yes, the sound on Nursery Chyrme always put me off.  Flat, thin. Trespass, before it, had a much fuller sound and more dynamic range.  Unless I've just heard bad pressings. It's possible I guess. I have an original US pressing of Trespass which sounds fine, but I remember another version - Australian or British - which was rubbish. Sounded like they were from different masters, or more likely copies of copies of copies.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 05:34
Inspired by a discussion on Gong in another thread I'm reappreciating "You" now. I used to think that this offers me too little to get my teeth in, all this space jamming just sounds too "saucy", and I haven't listened to it much because of that. But I know that this is highly esteemed by many listeners with good taste and given that I love Shamal as well as many bits of the earlier parts of the Radio Gnome trilogy, and I'm a big fan of Pierre Moerlen, Didier Malherbe and the other musicians involved here, this brought me back to the idea that I really should love "You". Indeed listening consciously to the musicians' contributions rather than trying to get into this as a homogeneous whole helps a lot. No way I can ever let pass something with Pierre's drums unimpressed, Tim Blake also really shines here, not to mention Hillage, Howlett and Malherbe, although I have certain doubts that the album was meant to be listened to in this way. Anyway,  I'm making good progress with it, although I doubt that I will ever rate it over Shamal. Probably putting Pierre higher in the mix would have helped me from the start. I always have difficulties with albums where the drums are held back in the mix (actually on "You" it's not everywhere, but the mix is generally somewhat uneven).

Edited by Lewian - December 29 2019 at 06:40
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 05:51
^When you are big Pierre-fan, I quess you have also heard Pekka Pohjola´s Keesojen Lehto-album? I really also love his playing, hard to say who is greater after Bruford, Pierre or Phil Collins. Also loved Michael Giles style a lot! In Finland both Ronnie Österberg and Vesa Aaltonen has had really great style!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 05:58
Hi,

None really. I make sure that I do/have a good listen so that my thoughts and ideas do not change all the time, and I can not really name an album that ... gave me a hard time listening, but then it got OK ... I suppose that the first and last one in that area, for me, was Tangerine Dream's Phaedra ... when I heard it the first time, the piece Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares did not sit in well with my stomach ... but that was the last time that ANY MUSIC has had that effect on me ... I think, in general, that it opened up my thoughts and ideas about music, and that is a good thing ... and makes much more sense when you factor in the history of modern music in the classical areas ... TD, at that point, made a lot of sense ... something that not a lot of bands make at all, when the music is just another bunch of pop songs!

ACTUALLY, there was one album, but it was quite different situation from "music" itself. FRANK PERRY's DEEP PEACE has two sides on stuff based on some Tibetan bells, and they are complete meditations and are also extremely difficult to stay with, but it wasn't a fear ... it was the stomach not wanting to get through this part or that part, which went away by the 2nd or 3rd time listening, and the trick is/was ... you have to teach yourself to meditate through it, regardless, and when that happens, you find that it is one of the prettiest and most exhilarating pieces of music ever done.

Sadly here, all we can talk about is songs, and how we didn't like them then or vice versa ... heck, I still like ... had too much to dream last night ... or ... itchikoo park ... or nature's way .... endless list!

Edited by moshkito - April 10 2020 at 08:51
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 06:22
I had previously dismissed Deep Purple's Come Taste the Band from '75 as pallid unconvincing funk but having just listened to it again after a gap of nearly 20 years, have to say it's a fail-safe fasting diet for morbidly obese cannibals.
(and I adore Tommy Bolin's work on Spectrum)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 06:36
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^When you are big Pierre-fan, I quess you have also heard Pekka Pohjola´s Keesojen Lehto-album? I really also love his playing, hard to say who is greater after Bruford, Pierre or Phil Collins. Also loved Michael Giles style a lot! In Finland both Ronnie Österberg and Vesa Aaltonen has had really great style!

PA says this is the same as "The Consequences of Indecisions", which I have. Need to listen to some more Pohjohla anyway, thanks for the recommendation.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 06:54
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

PA says this is the same as "The Consequences of Indecisions", which I have. Need to listen to some more Pohjohla anyway, thanks for the recommendation.
Yes, it seemed to come in Germany under that name in the eighties. You probably will like his "Visitation" and "Kätkävaaran Lohikäärme" -albums. My favorites are first two, "Pihkasilmä Kaarnakorva" & "Harakka Bialoipokku" that Virgin released under name "B the Magpie". From his later output "Pewit" is the greatest. Pohjola has always had great drummers in his every album!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 09:23
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I had previously dismissed Deep Purple's Come Taste the Band from '75 as pallid unconvincing funk but having just listened to it again after a gap of nearly 20 years, have to say it's a fail-safe fasting diet for morbidly obese cannibals.

I also think that’s a very solid album! Never understood the general displeasure with it. My only gripe is that Lady Luck and I need love are kinda clones of each other.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 09:53
I didn't used to like Van Der Graaf Generator, but several PA members sparked my interest in them and after buying their two previously unheard 1970 albums in November and then listening to them for the first time on Christmas Day, I've finally seen the light and realised the inherent electric potential in this charged-up prog band. Smile
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 12:43
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

That's quite funny, because we played that album a couple of hours after you made your postWink. Count me in as a big fan of Come Taste the Band, one of the most underappreciated albums in the history of rock. Every time I listen to it I can't help wondering what Deep Purple MK IV might have produced if things had gone differently. Anyway, my favourite track(s) on the album is "This Time Around/Owed to G". Glenn Hughes' vocals are simply stunning there.

Back to the thread's topic, it took me over 30 years to "get" Relayer. As in the case of Deep Purple, I regret that Yes lineup did not release at least another album. They were going in an interesting direction with Moraz on board.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 00:04
^ we agree on Relayer but not Come Taste the Band- hey ho,  I suspect it's my ingrained expectations of the Mark 2 lineup that spoil my enjoyment of the album. Taken on its own merits, it really ain't a bad hard rock album.Shocked
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 03:18
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I didn't used to like Van Der Graaf Generator, but several PA members sparked my interest in them and after buying their two previously unheard 1970 albums in November and then listening to them for the first time on Christmas Day, I've finally seen the light and realised the inherent electric potential in this charged-up prog band. Smile

They took me a very long time to get into as well and there's still a lot they've made that doesn't impress me all that much, but I've at least gotten to the point where I can count Pawn Hearts as a personal favourite. Peter Hammill's voice in general is a taste I really had to acquire.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 05:02
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

They took me a very long time to get into as well and there's still a lot they've made that doesn't impress me all that much, but I've at least gotten to the point where I can count Pawn Hearts as a personal favourite. Peter Hammill's voice in general is a taste I really had to acquire.
Really same with VdGG to me! I had long only Pawn Hearts in cassette, I listened it sometimes through the years, until finally I started to like it. Also I think Hammill´s voice was at first too much to me, but now I really love his theatrical voice! Also I think they have made quite good records recently too. But anyway I believe VdGG will never become in the group of greatest prog bands to me, that are Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Family, Magma, Faust, Can, Caravan, Comus, Wigwam and of course Yes & Genesis.

Edited by Mortte - December 30 2019 at 05:06
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 07:03
Trespass by Genesis has come up quite a few notches for me recently. Always liked the Knife but could never really get into the rest of it very much. now, I like it a lot. Would have been interesting had Philips not left the band. The music may have gone in a different direction. Not sure that would have been a good thing though as I like what Hackett brought to Genesis.  

I've also become something of a late bloomer Pink Floyd fan. Never gave them a second thought back in the 80s and the songs that made it onto the radio never sparked an interest in me. However, after exploring their early years and working upwards, I have a new appreciation for them.

Finally, Porcupine Tree. When I first discovered them I liked the later more heavy music but couldn't get into the earlier stuff. That's changed now and I'm happily delving into their early and mid periods

Edited by Jeffro - December 30 2019 at 09:15
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 07:42
RPI in general was off my radar for years and then I took a deep dive and life hasn't been the same since...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 10:31
Way back then (in the 90's) I suddendly understood what VdGG and GG were all about after 15 years of trying.

A bit later in the decade, I changed my mind about Duke and ATTWT, which I had tried and detested, simply because they were not in the line of TotT and W&W. Not that I own them, but I respect those two albums (but not the rest of their later discography.

Having heard part of the remix of Floyd's AMLOR that has been realized for Floyd's later years boxset, I could be changing my mind if they ever sell the new remix as a stand alone album. Indeed, from the three tracks that were made pubic, two new versions are a definite improvement (no miracle either), the third being neutral. But, adding more Mason and Wright will probably change this album from an OK solo Gilmour album to an OK (but no more) Floyd album.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 11:09
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Way back then (in the 90's) I suddendly understood what VdGG and GG were all about after 15 years of trying.

Then fill me in when you get the chance because I'm still scratching my head over those two. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 11:44
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Then fill me in when you get the chance because I'm still scratching my head over those two. LOL

For GG, a good understanding of medieval music helps

For VdGG, it's useful to see them play live (watching how Hammill sings, Banton dancing on his bench to pkay bass and understand what Jax is doing), and the Godbluff Live (Belgian TV) is what clicked it for me
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 11:51
What helped me appreciate Gentle Giant more was seeing the video footage.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 11:55
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Me too.....
both an 'acquired taste'....like smelly cheese.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>