Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you know modern prog that sounds classical one?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you know modern prog that sounds classical one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you know modern prog that sounds classical one?
    Posted: December 22 2019 at 08:51
I got myself recently into Wobbler's From Silence To Somewhere and I was literally stunned, how the hell in 2017 can a band make such a perfect album! At first I even thought that I had put on some Yes album before realizing that it was Wobbler! For me it sounds like what they should have made after Close To The Edge instead of Relayer which I don't really like.

So now here's my question. Do you know other bands that sound like this? I'm literally craving for it right now!

Edited by softandwet - December 22 2019 at 10:03
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 08:57
Once and Future Band - classic Rundgren sound with an indie rock twist
The Tangent - vintage vibe with sax and flute.
Malady (especially Toinen Toista) - Amazing 70s sounding folk symphonic psych.

Also the album Nattfiolen by Jordsjø cuz it is very rich in vintage keyboards.

Edited by Hrychu - December 22 2019 at 09:03
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 09:04
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

I got myself recently into Wobbler's From Silence To Somewhere and I was literally stunned, how the hell in 2017 can a band make such a perfect album! At first I even thought that I had put on some Yes album before realizing that it was Wobbler! For me it sounds like what they should have made after Close To The Edge instead of Relayer which I don't really like.

So now here's my question. Do you know other bands that sound like this? I'm literally craving for it right now!

I've said this elsewhere, but what Wobbler did on From Silence To Somewhere is not particularly original, but it was masterfully done. You can go back to the original sources of inspiration, but I don't think you'll get anything as complete as From Silence To Somewhere itself.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 09:12
By the way, with regards to the title of this thread, by "classical", do you mean "classical prog" or "classical music"?

I think you should explore the music of Änglagård. Both Hybris and Viljans Öga are in the PA top 100 albums.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 09:17
You might like "Autumn Grass" (1971) by Continuum, even though it's not modern. Smile

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 09:22
If you can't hear mid-70s Genesis in this song, you're deaf....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 09:23
I you really want classical Music by Prog bands try this:
Caprice from Russia 

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 12:29
Wow guys, so many suggestions and so little time. It's nice that many prog fans are liking the music of today's bands, and considere them as good as the old, classic period ones. Please keep them coming, so I can get to increase my prog horizons.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 14:03
I too love that album and really believe its one of the best of all time. If you like Wobbler you'll like Jordsjo. They're also Norweigan Symphonic prog and they play live with wobbler sometimes. Check out the album "Jord." Also, All Traps on Earth and Anglagard.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - December 22 2019 at 14:04
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:54
Not modern but barely known:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCc3MyWQis
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 19:33
^Sorry but in no way is that barely known. Maybe to those who only know GG, KC, Yes and Genesis but anyone who has researched prog beyond the obvious bands(and beyond just scanning the top albums on here) has probably come across it. It does seem to be under-represented on this site but it's over all reputation far exceeds it's presence on here imo.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 22 2019 at 19:45
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 00:38
Par Lindh Project . Ignore the last one though as that was a departure. The first three are overlooked gems imo. 
Antelope Freeway View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antelope Freeway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 19:27
I really enjoy Wobbler myself! I find myself searching for that early-mid 70s sound of Genesis and Yes quite a bit. Here are some bands I've been pleased to find-- Astra, Minor Giant, Monarch Trail, Willowglass and Submarine Silence. Not every song on every album, of course, but often they get the job done.
Antelope Freeway
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 08:09
I think it’s the production..or lack of it that does it. Sure the musicianship has to be there too, but it’s that, for lack of a better word, old “analogue” sound that genuinely suits music like this..most especially if the groups in question are playing old school instruments
But yeah check out:
The Winstons
Hooffoot
Magic Bus
Morte Macabre
Diagonal
Dungen
Agusa
Wolf People
Tusmørke
Goat

Plenty of other artists that go for the warm and lovable ‘live in the studio’ thang that most of us have come to cherish about our favourite 60s and 70s records. One just needs to do some searching...and of course it also helps that most of these bands happen to stem from Scandinavia (I live in Denmark)

Edith: whoops I kinda forgot about the op and that you were talking about Wobbler’s latest. Most of the above are more in the psychedelic or slightly jazzy camp (Winstons and Magic Bus sound like classic Canterbury), so maybe check out Morte Macabre first or indeed Italy’s own Genesis: The Watch. Where Wobbler basically sounds like classic Yes, The Watch sounds like Gabriel never left and that they made a bunch of albums between Foxtrot and The Lamb.

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 25 2019 at 08:34
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 08:13
The Flower Kings
Wobbler
Big Big Train
Kaipa
Jordsjo
Transatlantic
The Tangent
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 03:49
Most classically orchestral prog rock band?  The Enid. Live at Hammersmith is a good place to start. Nothing as tawdry as lyrics or even a rock sound. Keyboards guitars bass and drums for the Enid Philharmonic.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 22:12
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Wow guys, so many suggestions and so little time. It's nice that many prog fans are liking the music of today's bands, and considere them as good as the old, classic period ones. Please keep them coming, so I can get to increase my prog horizons.

Exactly what I thought, Manuel!  Clap

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fish and Marillion yet! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 22:27
Originally posted by delventhal delventhal wrote:

<h1 ="title style-scope ytd-video-primary-info-renderer" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px none; : rgb249, 249, 249 none repeat scroll 0% 0%; display: block; max-height: 4.8rem; overflow: ; line-height: 2.4rem; color: var--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var--yt-spec-text-primary; font-family: Roboto, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: var--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-font-size, 1.8rem; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; trans: var--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-trans, none; text-shadow: var--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-text-shadow, none; font-style: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial;">Gleb KOLYADIN - Debut Album - 2018</h1>

Kolyadin solo? So no more iamthemorning? Came to this thread to post about it.
felonafan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felonafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 09:48
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 11:33

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Kolyadin solo? So no more iamthemorning? Came to this thread to post about it.
The OP asked about a modern prog band playing the classical way and I'm afraid that Iamthemorning does not fall into that category as their 'Chamber Prog' sub-genre did not exist in the classic era of Progressive music. Disparately, for his solo debut, Gleb has composed the music that is very Prog-Rock. I would say that stylistically it's somewhere between Keith Emerson feat. The Nice and Rick Wakeman in his 'Criminal Record' phase.
However, the duo has few songs that they might be on the subject of this topic [tbh I would like that Iamthemorning to make an entire album in this style] :

Hi Svet,

you still didn't get what Chamber Prog is, haven't you? Tongue

Edited by TheH - January 02 2020 at 11:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>