Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 80s Weren't As Bad As You Thought

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 80s Weren't As Bad As You Thought
    Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:16
Sure the giants succumbed to commercialitis.  Some tried and failed.  Some tried and died. Some succeeded.  Meanwhile there was actually a lot of great music going on if you knew where to look. So lets showcase them here. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:20
I will start with Johnson, David Earle with Jan Hammer Hip Address 1980 Feb.-Mar.  Yeah before Jan became Mr. Miami Vice Soundtrack, which actually had some cool '80's music he did this one that kicked off the decade.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:21
Bowie, David Scary Monsters 1980 Feb.-Apr.  I've always felt David did some of his best with Fripp and Eno and Fripp is here front and center.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:22
I didn't think the 80s were bad for music. I love a huge amount of 80s music, both prog and not prog, and a lot that is under a prog umbrella. I'll start by mentioning Art Zoyd in the 80s; love it.

Edited by Logan - December 22 2019 at 17:23
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:24
Sky Sky 2 1980 Apr. Sky, freaking Sky.  Headed up by THE John Williams as far as I am concerned.

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:24
80s were definitely not bad! Probably the weakest decade as far as prog goes since its birth but certainly lots of great music.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:24
Bush, Kate Never for Ever 1979 1980 Sep.-May Kate get the prog bug big time.
Hackett, Steve Defector (Remaster) 1980 Mar.-May It had its defective moment but The Steppes gives me goosebumps.
Di Meola, Al Spendido Hotel 1980 May Splendido AlDimo indeedo.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 22 2019 at 17:30

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:25

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 22 2019 at 17:29
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:27

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 22 2019 at 17:30
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:28
I should consolidate more as I haven't even finished with 1980 yet.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:29
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

She released three albums in the Eighties, all quite progressive in their own way - especially The Dreaming (1982), though a lot of prog fans prefer Hounds of Love (1985) because of the side-long suite "The Ninth Wave". The Sensual World (1989), in my opinion, is not quite on the same level, but still an excellent album, with one song in particular ("Deeper Understanding") that foreshadows what society would become just a couple of decades later.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:32
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

She released three albums in the Eighties, all quite progressive in their own way - especially The Dreaming (1982), though a lot of prog fans prefer Hounds of Love (1985) because of the side-long suite "The Ninth Wave". The Sensual World (1989), in my opinion, is not quite on the same level, but still an excellent album, with one song in particular ("Deeper Understanding") that foreshadows what society would become just a couple of decades later.
Twas The Dreaming that hooked me on her. I heard Suspended In Gaffa on college radio while driving and got a major case of the goosebumps. Big smile

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:34
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Bush, Kate<span style="white-space:pre"> </span>Never for Ever<span style="white-space:pre"> </span>1979<span style="white-space:pre"> </span>1980<span style="white-space:pre"> </span>Sep.-May Kate get the prog bug big time.

The Ninth Wave is superb. I love The Sensual World (got it on cassette in the bargain bin not long after it was released. It also features Kate Bush's rockin' "Rocket's Tail" (with Gilmour on guitar). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yeimyOsdrA "The Fog" is a particular favourite of mine.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:35
Great minds think alike, Greg! I love "The Fog", with Nigel Kennedy on violin.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:49
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

80s were definitely not bad! Probably the weakest decade as far as prog goes since its birth but certainly lots of great music.

Yep. You just had to know where to look. It's the decade I first discovered prog so it can't be that bad. Lol.

Plus you had the birth of neo prog which had some cool stuff not to mention the earliest albums by Djam Karet, Ozric Tentacles and Dream Theater.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 17:50
Univers Zero, Eskaton, Present, Art Zoyd, Thinking Plague, King Crimson, This Heat, Cardiacs, The Enid, Shub-Niggurath, Dead Can Dance

80's were great!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 18:36
Listening to a band on youtube called Cartoon and their first album from 1981. Not my usual style but I really like it. 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 18:45
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Univers Zero, Eskaton, Present, Art Zoyd, Thinking Plague, King Crimson, This Heat, Cardiacs, The Enid, Shub-Niggurath, Dead Can Dance

80's were great!

Bacamarte!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 20:17
Indeed
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 22:44
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I could not say it better. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>