Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic Symphonic Rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Yasu_Agui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Symphonic Rock
    Posted: December 23 2019 at 15:18
Does somebody knows any electronic symphonic rock band? Such as The Alan Parsons Project, Can or Triumvirat?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 16:28
I know those you listed, but I may not be understanding the description well enough. The first that sprang to my mind is Dionne-Bregent, then Wapassou:

Edited by Logan - December 23 2019 at 16:35
Just a fanboy passin' through.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 01:15
Originally posted by Yasu_Agui Yasu_Agui wrote:

Does somebody knows any electronic symphonic rock band? Such as The Alan Parsons Project, Can or Triumvirat?

Those bands are all very different so it's hard to gauge what you are looking for. The first band that came to mind was the German 'synth heavy' prog band Eloy. Particularly anything they did from Ocean (1977) to Time To Turn (1982) is well worth checking out.
Yasu_Agui View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yasu_Agui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 06:52
I know Eloy, but they are not electronic, only im the 80s?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 07:29
I have a hard time thinking of CAN as electronic symphonic rock and in the same grouping as APP.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 08:14
Hi,

For my tastes the only thing that fits his request is TANGERINE DREAM ... but I'm not sure that is what he is looking for ... at all! Or even Mike Oldfield, or Vangelis, or any Ryuichi Sakamoto soundtrack! Larry Fast would fit also in his solo albums, but what he did with Nektar in RECYCLED is incredible ... just about made a whole symphony out of Nektar's album ... a couple of which previously could be considered "symphonic".

While Alan Parsons is an interesting choice, bands like RENAISSANCE would fit a lot better, with the exception that APP is way better recorded than Renaissance ever was, to be given a better recognition to their music.

But the term itself is confusing and not clear ... because, in essence, by proper classical definition, most rock bands would never be "symphonic" ... though we consider them so only because they have keyboards ... and nothing else.

Edited by moshkito - December 24 2019 at 08:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 09:26
I think Clearlight Symphony might be just what you're looking for. Smile

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 14:41
I guess Vangelis would fit nicely to this descritpion.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 18:07
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,
Larry Fast would fit also in his solo albums, but what he did with Nektar in RECYCLED is incredible ... 

Great minds etc.!  First thing that came to my mind was Fast's first SYNERGY LP! 

Patrick Moraz' solo LP "The Story of i" might also qualify.  A very fine work, that one is, and not often discussed on PA.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Charles.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 07:23
I find the description and examples to be a little disjoint, but try this...

Robeone (Robert Schindler)

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 07:42
As others have mentioned I too seem to have a little difficulty in finding out exactly what type of music you’re looking for...but then again it adds a certain whiff of the elusive to things...and well talking about music always ends up in elusive territory, mostly because we have different ears
I do think I sense a common theme pertaining to these groups however different they ultimately sound..and that is swirling, shimmery, wafting synths and electronics - often merely big slabs of room decor for the melody and meat to frolick in..but yeah sure I can see the connection.
If that is the case - and also because this just happens to be THE album that sprang to mind when I read the title of the thread - please indulge in this magnificent blast from the past, Solaris’ Marsbéli Krónikák:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KoVPQlFbN5g
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 12:05
Eela Craig

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 12:53
Here's another electronic symphony you might like.....

SYNERGY (Larry Fast) - Audion

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 14:43
Here's a whole concert of electronic symphonic rock for you.....

YANNI - Live at the Forbidden City

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 08:08
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I do think I sense a common theme pertaining to these groups however different they ultimately sound..and that is swirling, shimmery, wafting synths and electronics - often merely big slabs of room decor for the melody and meat to frolick in..but yeah sure I can see the connection.

Ohhh ... that means we forgot Kitaro!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 10:57
I would think bands who are a cross between space rock and symph rock would be at least close to what the op is looking for so bands who are similar to Pink Floyd, Eloy early Gong maybe. Also, the original War of the Worlds album by Jeff Wayne.

Also, maybe the band Days Between Stations. Check this out:

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 01:24
Originally posted by Yasu_Agui Yasu_Agui wrote:

I know Eloy, but they are not electronic, only im the 80s?

True they were more electronic based in the 80's but the other albums have a lot of keyboards/synths as well.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 01:24
Originally posted by delventhal delventhal wrote:

Vangelis' 'Heaven & Hell' fits the bill.

Yes that is perfect imo.
 Post Reply Post Reply