Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do I like King Crimson much less?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do I like King Crimson much less?
    Posted: December 26 2019 at 21:07
Hey all, I've got to get something off my chest. Here I go. So, I'm a big fan of Prog right? I love almost every band I've heard and they all have a 5 star albums in my opinion (from ELP to Jethro Tull to Van der Graaf Generator) except for one, King Crimson. Why don't they hit me like other bands do? ( Keep in mind that I've heard every album by them and I'm quite familiar with them but they leave me cold). Why is that? Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - December 27 2019 at 18:30
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 21:21
There is a fundamental lack of feeling, a mathematical sterility, that encompassed their music, and became more pronounced after their first few albums. It is a music of numbers and calculation, with very little warmth. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 21:27
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

There is a fundamental lack of feeling, a mathematical sterility, that encompassed their music, and became more pronounced after their first few albums. It is a music of numbers and calculation, with very little warmth. 

Don't give me that bro. I know
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 23:25
All equally disliked? Are there any you like better than others? I really really like most of their stuff. I don't like Islands at all. ItCotCK I like quite a bit, but in the same manner I might like an historical artifact in a museum. I don't remember the last time I listened to In the Wake of Poseidon. I'm very positive toward everything else. There's quite a bit of diversity among their albums. It's kind of a guessing game till we know more from you.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 23:45
These days King Crimson are over rated. Somehow all the kiddies discovered them and they are the one cool prog band to get into(along with Rush and Porcupine Tree). It doesn't make much sense but life in general doesn't make much sense and come to think of it neither does Fripp. That said I like their original run of albums from 69-74 just fine. After that they became a bit hit or miss imo.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 01:20
It can be a bit Emperor's New Clothes with them. I have forked out a lot of money on  2 massive box sets that I hardly ever listen to. I suppose I like the idea of them more than then the actual reality. That said the live show I went to about 12 months or so ago was absolutely superb. They have a lot of great music for sure. Really I just don't know the answer to the question other than Red is one of my favourite albums and will probably remain so forever. However that was a 3 piece version of the band and pretty unique for them.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 02:45
I think you just canīt always explain, why some music hit you and some doesnīt. I know Gentle Giant are dear band to many here, but I just canīt like it, although I have tried. But I think itīs something in me, not GG fault. Of course I can explain, what irritates me in GG, but probably everybody else who loves GG just canīt understand me. I didnīt like much of Epitaph & The Court Of Crimson king -songs when heard them first time, but some years after the whole Court-album hit me totally and after that I have been big fan. But never liked their after seventies output as much.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 03:10
One of the very few bands on the site where there wouldn't be many quibbles about their belonging firmly in 'Eclectic Prog'. Depending on where you dip into their output will probably temper your experience henceforth e.g. I know a few Metalheads who enjoy the Power to Believe and Red while many Math Rock fans like the Discipline/Three of a Perfect Pair/Beat trilogy. Ambient/Space Rock aficionados tend to gravitate towards the Projeckts output and ditto the Symph Prog brigade who seem to be mad for In the Court, Islands and Lizard etc. Starless & Bible Black and Larks Tongues in Aspic are for me oriented in Avant-RIO territory. I can even imagine fans of Radiohead and Post Punk enjoying albums like Thrak and the Construction of Light. Given the sheer variety on offer, and despite the inevitable overlap at play, it's hardly surprising that parts of their output will inevitably leave some of us a little cold. It also probably needs restating that some individual Crimson albums have begotten several sub genres on PA and bequeathed entire musical careers to those musicians who continue to follow in their wake. Similarly, it would be unreasonable to expect anyone to enjoy every one of Frank Zappa's 113 (or thereabouts) studio albums

Edited by ExittheLemming - December 27 2019 at 03:19
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 06:16
Electic prog imo refers to a sound a band has one one particular album. It doesn't seem to be based on diversity throughout a bands career. So what I mean is listen to how the songs sound different on their first album. That's eclectic. Yes sounds different on their albums and so do a lot of bands. It doesn't make them "eclectic."
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 06:36
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Electic prog imo refers to a sound a band has one one particular album. It doesn't seem to be based on diversity throughout a bands career.

That isn't really true for Van der Graaf Generator. Most of their albums have a uniformity throughout, with the main variation occurring between different periods of their career.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 06:53
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I think you just canīt always explain, why some music hit you and some doesnīt. I know Gentle Giant are dear band to many here, but I just canīt like it, although I have tried. But I think itīs something in me, not GG fault. Of course I can explain, what irritates me in GG, but probably everybody else who loves GG just canīt understand me. I didnīt like much of Epitaph & The Court Of Crimson king -songs when heard them first time, but some years after the whole Court-album hit me totally and after that I have been big fan. But never liked their after seventies output as much.

Don't worry - you're not the only person here who doesn't like Gentle Giant. Smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 06:58
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

All equally disliked? Are there any you like better than others? I really really like most of their stuff. I don't like Islands at all. ItCotCK I like quite a bit, but in the same manner I might like an historical artifact in a museum. I don't remember the last time I listened to In the Wake of Poseidon. I'm very positive toward everything else. There's quite a bit of diversity among their albums. It's kind of a guessing game till we know more from you.

I've only ever listened to the first two King Crimson albums all the way through, but if I'm feeling in a masochistic mood, I might try giving their third album "Lizard" another listen. Smile
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 07:34
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

not to mention that the acoustic guitar quota kept dropping from album to album, and Fripp never played acoustic guitar on a studio album after the song "Fallen Angel" on Red.  I love (his) acoustic guitar
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 09:36
And God said "Let there be prog." And King Crimson was created from the void and all that followed owed homage to them. From the ancient 3rd century Book Of Prog.

What's a little heresy between prog fans?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 09:52
No one can like every prog band. No big deal. And don't force yourself to tolerate them by listening multiple times. It doesn't work.

There is too much great music in the world, focus on that, and don't worry that KC is not for you.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gully Foyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 10:32
Art is subjective?
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 11:15
I like KC but they can be a little weird sometimes. A lot of there stuff seems to swing from too mellow and sedate ( IE most of ITCOTCK) or very harsh and dissident.( IE much of Discipline ) That being said they have but out some great & innovative stuff but there is a lot of material I find hard to listen to.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 11:24
For me the only albums of theirs I really revisit are Court, red and larks and the rest I can mostly leave behind. Every album atleast has a track I really like, and court and red in particular are some of my favorite albums ever. but their discography just doesn’t hold a light to some of the other top bands like genesis and VDGG imo. After belew became frontman they just never released another Starless or epitaph. Some good songs and some laughable ones but the fans eat it up either way.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 12:00
Probably because you're weird, dude.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 13:38
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Electic prog imo refers to a sound a band has one one particular album. It doesn't seem to be based on diversity throughout a bands career.

That isn't really true for Van der Graaf Generator. Most of their albums have a uniformity throughout, with the main variation occurring between different periods of their career.

Well, that's maybe because eclectic fits them the best. It isn't really a perfect term. Let's face it though VDGG don't really sound like other bands and they also don't really fit into a neat category. Some of their stuff is close to symph or canterbury but both of those aren't quite right either. I would say the bands most similar to VDGG imo would be King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Happy the Man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>