Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do I like King Crimson much less?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 17:30
KC is one of those bands that will grow on you with time. Sometimes a break and reintroduction (and this may be needed several times) is all it takes. I would opine that after getting used to things like Genesis, Yes, and ELP, KC is kind of like hitting a brick wall full of raw energy. The darker tones and harsher sounds take a bit of getting used to. But in due time (and this could be years), suddenly it clicks and you'll realize how much of a genius Robert Fripp is.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 17:30
Absolutely loved ITCOTCK.  Same can be said for Red.  Didn't like Beat and really didn't listen to them until Thrak was released, which I liked a lot.  Hated ThrakAttak so again I put them away for over a decade.  I have Frame by Frame so I know the stronger songs.  But this year I heard Radical Action to Release the Hold of Monkey Mind  and then got the CD/BluRay combo and I can't put it down.  Listening to it now actually .  Its been months.  I have been listening to the various other live albums (Chicago, Meltdown) and its really some of the best music I have ever heard.  I have to go back to the originals to see why I didn't care anywhere as much for say Lizard, In the Wake of the Poseidon as I do these live albums.   New arrangements, Jakko singing instead of Belew, more drums from the 3 headed monster, more Mel Collins? I don't know but it will be fun going back to some albums I haven't listened to in decades.     
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 19:55
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

And don't force yourself to tolerate them by listening multiple times. It doesn't work.

I have to disagree with you there.

I used to hate 'Supper's ready' (and Genesis) but I listened to it again and again, and finally it clicked.
I'm glad I did, because I love the song now and would be ashamed of myself if I didn't at least try to understand why everyone was going on about how great it was. Now I get it.

I guess when people are really hammering in how brilliant a song/band is, I get curious and annoyed at myself for not hearing what everyone else is hearing. It may seem like lunacy to a lot of people, but hey, I've discovered a lot of great songs this way.

Edited by Spacegod87 - December 28 2019 at 19:56
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 20:20
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

There is a fundamental lack of feeling, a mathematical sterility, that encompassed their music, and became more pronounced after their first few albums. It is a music of numbers and calculation, with very little warmth. 

Once again the lack of feeling on King Crimson... I just don't buy it. Well, perhaps they do have a fair amount of mathematical sterility, but they also have some of the most emotional songs I can think of, prog or not. Of course, the best example of this is Epitaph, with those vocals from Lake that, well, I would find it hard to think of a more emotional vocal delivery anywhere. But besides, I can easily think of Prince Rupert Awakes / Bolero, Exiles, and Starless having some really beautiful emotional moments.

but you are naming the most accessible and perhaps warmest songs from those post ITCOCK albums.  They stuck one or two of them on Lizard and Islands and then at best one each on LTIA,SABB and Red.  so you are corroborating what the Dark Elf is saying by naming the exceptions which prove the rule

ps I'd throw "The Night Watch" into that list as well, but that's about it
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 21:45
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

There is a fundamental lack of feeling, a mathematical sterility, that encompassed their music, and became more pronounced after their first few albums. It is a music of numbers and calculation, with very little warmth. 

Once again the lack of feeling on King Crimson... I just don't buy it. Well, perhaps they do have a fair amount of mathematical sterility, but they also have some of the most emotional songs I can think of, prog or not. Of course, the best example of this is Epitaph, with those vocals from Lake that, well, I would find it hard to think of a more emotional vocal delivery anywhere. But besides, I can easily think of Prince Rupert Awakes / Bolero, Exiles, and Starless having some really beautiful emotional moments.

but you are naming the most accessible and perhaps warmest songs from those post ITCOCK albums.  They stuck one or two of them on Lizard and Islands and then at best one each on LTIA,SABB and Red.  so you are corroborating what the Dark Elf is saying by naming the exceptions which prove the rule

Starless isn't really an exception as far as Red album goes.  Fallen Angel is even more emotional.  One More Red Nightmare isn't emotional in a straight up melancholic way but it's incredibly trippy.  I don't even know how it would possibly come across as calculating compared to say Yes or Genesis playing strictly by the metronome with no surprises in placement or accent. 

Edited by rogerthat - December 28 2019 at 21:49
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 22:04
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

All equally disliked? Are there any you like better than others? 

I don't dislike any of their albums I'm just not nuts for any if that makes any sense. 

Seriously, that doesn't make sense but in our love it or hate it black or white world you view is refreshing. 

A similar reaction from me. If you're wondering why there is so much consensus on something that you're not a part of, there actually really is no consensus. I do love Larks, SaBB, Discipline and the Crimson Projeckts. I like the unstructured improv they do, how they generally do stuff counter to usual expectation, and I really dig the overall Space Rock of Projeckts. However, I don't care much for Fripp's too often understated approach to lead and I am not nearly as much into mellotron as many others are, although I know some people like both of those things. So you stray from a consensus that does not exist. There is equally no consensus on the best/worst Genesis, Yes and Tull either.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 22:18
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Starless isn't really an exception as far as Red album goes.  Fallen Angel is even more emotional.  One More Red Nightmare isn't emotional in a straight up melancholic way but it's incredibly trippy.  I don't even know how it would possibly come across as calculating compared to say Yes or Genesis playing strictly by the metronome with no surprises in placement or accent. 

hmm I don't really agree on Fallen Angel.  Sure the subject matter is emotionally wrenching but the song doesn't really make me care.  It's only notable for being the last KC song with acoustic guitar...45 years ago
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 22:48

I think there's a danger of confusing two distinct compositional approaches here. Although the following are traditionally only used to describe classical 'art music', the demarcation is also applicable for popular music that strays well beyond the song structures, metric conventions and cadential harmonies of Tin Pan Alley tradition.

Programme Music - designed to convey an extra-musical narrative to invoke a particular type of emotion or idea in the listener e.g. Symphonie Fantastique by Berlioz, Also Sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss, the Four Seasons by Vivaldi, In the Court of the Crimson King, One More Red Nightmare, Neurotica, People etc. Most of Crimson's song based output which presents some type of story (notwithstanding its complexity, sophistication or unconventionality) would fall broadly into this category

Abstract/Absolute Music - i.e. 'just the notes themselves', not intended to elicit any particular emotional state or idea but simply a presentation of musical information that the composer/performer thinks aesthetically appealing e.g. Bartok's 6 String Quartets, the serialism of the 2nd Viennese School, Fracture, Providence, Requiem, Vrooom Vrooom, We'll Let You Know, most of the Projeckts output etc. None of us would probably agree what Crimson material is even a 'best fit' for either category but it seems pretty clear to me that a lot of Crimson's more esoteric instrumental output might qualify for a place in the second basket

It strikes me as specious to conflate abstract/absolute music with sterility, lack of warmth or emotion. Some of the interlocking 'gamelan guitar' pieces from Discipline onward I do find rather dry, academic and cerebral yes, but even those elements of Crimson I don't care for are for reasons of my aesthetic taste rather than any lack of inferred feeling.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 23:06

hmm I don't really agree on Fallen Angel.  Sure the subject matter is emotionally wrenching but the song doesn't really make me care.  It's only notable for being the last KC song with acoustic guitar...45 years ago
To me all those sad, melodic Crimson seventies songs wake strong emotions, also Fallen Angel.
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 00:21
I Don't like ELP much, You don't like KC - we are fine, is music, we are different - no two ears hear the same. 
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 01:58
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I think there's a danger of confusing two distinct compositional approaches here. Although the following are traditionally only used to describe classical 'art music', the demarcation is also applicable for popular music that strays well beyond the song structures, metric conventions and cadential harmonies of Tin Pan Alley tradition.

Programme Music - designed to convey an extra-musical narrative to invoke a particular type of emotion or idea in the listener e.g. Symphonie Fantastique by Berlioz, Also Sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss, the Four Seasons by Vivaldi, In the Court of the Crimson King, One More Red Nightmare, Neurotica, People etc. Most of Crimson's song based output which presents some type of story (notwithstanding its complexity, sophistication or unconventionality) would fall broadly into this category

Abstract/Absolute Music - i.e. 'just the notes themselves', not intended to elicit any particular emotional state or idea but simply a presentation of musical information that the composer/performer thinks aesthetically appealing e.g. Bartok's 6 String Quartets, the serialism of the 2nd Viennese School, Fracture, Providence, Requiem, Vrooom Vrooom, We'll Let You Know, most of the Projeckts output etc. None of us would probably agree what Crimson material is even a 'best fit' for either category but it seems pretty clear to me that a lot of Crimson's more esoteric instrumental output might qualify for a place in the second basket

It strikes me as specious to conflate abstract/absolute music with sterility, lack of warmth or emotion. Some of the interlocking 'gamelan guitar' pieces from Discipline onward I do find rather dry, academic and cerebral yes, but even those elements of Crimson I don't care for are for reasons of my aesthetic taste rather than any lack of inferred feeling.

Thanks, exactly the difference I was trying to articulate too.  Makes no sense to me that a One More Red Nightmare lacks warmth or is, of all things, too sterile.  None of the other major prog rock bands had guitar textures even halfway as interesting (or indeed far reaching).  

Besides, by embracing this distinction and categorising only programme music as emotional, we would in effect be disqualifying a lot of prog as lacking emotion because a lot of it does not signify emotion in a very straightforward way.  I am thinking of tracks like Supersister's Higher.  It doesn't fit into simplistic happy/sad/romantic categories but not emotional at all?  OK, I can accept that subjectively one does not find that music emotional but how much prog does such a person actually enjoy in that case would be my next question.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 03:07
^ I agree but that said, if I experience a piece of music initially as being completely devoid of any emotional impact whatsoever it's highly unlikely I'm ever going to develop an appetite to give it repeated listens irrespective of its Programme or Abstract source. I think that's why I eventually admitted defeat with free jazz, ambient, and a lot of RIO/Avant/Noise music (Just to flip the reverse side of the Programme coin: I want to like it (Abstract) but can't, simply because I don't understand what it is that is being communicated and yes, this says more about my limitations as a listener than the stimulus to hand itself)

Edited by ExittheLemming - December 29 2019 at 03:20
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 04:34
ExittheLemming: Do you think (or is the general idea behind this distinction) that what is "aesthetically appealing" can be separated from emotionality? I'd be very surprised by that. If you try to get into what "aesthetically appealing" means, you hardly get around human emotions, be it on the side of the musician or on the side of the listener. Personally I'm mostly not much interested in lyrics (although I can well connect to much of KC's lyrics, more than many other bands), and what music speaks to me emotionally has zilch to do with "extra-musical narratives", as you define "Programme Music". Surely in "abstract" music emotion is involved, at the very least subconsciously.

Edited by Lewian - December 29 2019 at 04:38
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 04:49
The early 80s trilogy of albums by the way is surely intellectual to some extent, but it also conveys a very special urban 80s emotionality, as I wrote before some mix of nervosity and angst and control/controlled aggression. There are warm moments (Matte Kudasai, Heartbeat,...) but they are understated and contrasted by the hustle of the urban jungle. The intellectuals have their brain power but they can't rely on it to survive, and surely it doesn't give them warmth. But showing raw emotions directly or demanding them is discredited. Which is what is expressed here, it's not devoid of emotionality, rather the opposite, an expression that something's missing, and the emotions coming from that. There is a connection to the aesthetic and controlled "cool" atmosphere/emotionality in other early 80s music (post punk etc.), which with its rejection of "pompous fuss-making" alienated a good number of prog fans.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 05:30
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

ExittheLemming: Do you think (or is the general idea behind this distinction) that what is "aesthetically appealing" can be separated from emotionality? I'd be very surprised by that. If you try to get into what "aesthetically appealing" means, you hardly get around human emotions. Personally I'm mostly not much interested in lyrics (although I can well connect to much of KC's lyrics, more than many other bands), and what music speaks to me emotionally has zilch to do with "extra-musical narratives", as you define "Programme Music".

No-one is trying to 'get around human emotions' or use a Programme/Abstract distinction to validate why some posters have opined that they find much of Crimson's output to be sterile, calculated and cold. It seems clear that what appeals aesthetically has to manifest itself by way of some sort of an emotional response. My argument was that perhaps those posters are looking for a lot of the ingredients that are habitually not present in Abstract/Absolute music and their appreciation of the art suffers as a result.
(As I explained previously, this is my experience with free jazz, where as a popular music fan, I am routinely ingrained to looking for repeating patterns and harmonic tensions to be resolved and when these don't arrive, I get bored and just 'switch off' and yes, I accept that's my loss but this is not because the music lacks feeling)
However, like yourself, I don't necessarily need to be steered by a narrative/story or lyrics to be able to enjoy say, Fracture (which I think is one of Crimson's finest ever pieces) I don't envisage anything other than four musicians interacting via their instruments to create magnificent art. Again, the absence of a plot outline or descriptive title does not mean the music lacks feeling. Even with something that has both lyrics and pictorial representations of what the music is purportedly attempting to depict e.g. Tarkus and Pictures at an Exhibition, I don't imagine armed metal armadillos doing battle with mythical beasts or witches who live in huts built on chicken legs. The music is not augmented (and maybe slightly diminished) for me by the extra-musical narrative offered in this regard.

Edited by ExittheLemming - December 29 2019 at 05:32
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 09:40

^ I agree but that said, if I experience a piece of music initially as being completely devoid of any emotional impact whatsoever it's highly unlikely I'm ever going to develop an appetite to give it repeated listens irrespective of its Programme or Abstract source. I think that's why I eventually admitted defeat with free jazz, ambient, and a lot of RIO/Avant/Noise music (Just to flip the reverse side of the Programme coin: I want to like it (Abstract) but can't, simply because I don't understand what it is that is being communicated and yes, this says more about my limitations as a listener than the stimulus to hand itself)

Agreed, my initial impression is purely subconscious without categorising it as programmatic or abstract.  There is some RIO I like (albeit mostly the 80s developments in the genre when it simply began to resemble late 19th/early 20th century classical music rather than the pure experimentation of the 70s) but free jazz usually doesn't work for me either.  And yes, it's just me; there are people who do like it after all (likewise in the case of Ambient). 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 10:15

ExittheLemming: Do you think (or is the general idea behind this distinction) that what is "aesthetically appealing" can be separated from emotionality? I'd be very surprised by that. If you try to get into what "aesthetically appealing" means, you hardly get around human emotions. Personally I'm mostly not much interested in lyrics (although I can well connect to much of KC's lyrics, more than many other bands), and what music speaks to me emotionally has zilch to do with "extra-musical narratives", as you define "Programme Music".

No-one is trying to 'get around human emotions' or use a Programme/Abstract distinction to validate why some posters have opined that they find much of Crimson's output to be sterile, calculated and cold. It seems clear that what appeals aesthetically has to manifest itself by way of some sort of an emotional response. My argument was that perhaps those posters are looking for a lot of the ingredients that are habitually not present in Abstract/Absolute music and their appreciation of the art suffers as a result.
(As I explained previously, this is my experience with free jazz, where as a popular music fan, I am routinely ingrained to looking for repeating patterns and harmonic tensions to be resolved and when these don't arrive, I get bored and just 'switch off' and yes, I accept that's my loss but this is not because the music lacks feeling)
However, like yourself, I don't necessarily need to be steered by a narrative/story or lyrics to be able to enjoy say, Fracture (which I think is one of Crimson's finest ever pieces) I don't envisage anything other than four musicians interacting via their instruments to create magnificent art. Again, the absence of a plot outline or descriptive title does not mean the music lacks feeling. Even with something that has both lyrics and pictorial representations of what the music is purportedly attempting to depict e.g. Tarkus and Pictures at an Exhibition, I don't imagine armed metal armadillos doing battle with mythical beasts or witches who live in huts built on chicken legs. The music is not augmented (and maybe slightly diminished) for me by the extra-musical narrative offered in this regard.

Said another way, you could generalise that listeners PREDOMINANTLY attracted to melodic symph prog may not dig much KC beyond the first couple of albums, especially beyond ITCOTCK itself.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 15:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

All equally disliked? Are there any you like better than others? 

I don't dislike any of their albums I'm just not nuts for any if that makes any sense. 
Seriously, that doesn't make sense but in our love it or hate it black or white world you view is refreshing. 

Who doesn't make sense??
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 04:35
Originally posted by delventhal delventhal wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of post-Sinfield era King Crimson either. I lot of fantasy was gone with Sinfield imo.

I tend to agree with you, Svettie

I prefer the Sinfield era, than the Wetton era (but I still love almost as much), then the 90's/00's/10's (sometimes patchy, especially the ProjeKcts) , than the 80's (too much Talking Heads - though I love the band)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 06:17

Said another way, you could generalise that listeners PREDOMINANTLY attracted to melodic symph prog may not dig much KC beyond the first couple of albums, especially beyond ITCOTCK itself.
Absolutely true. ItCotKC blew my mind as if it was programed to fire the corresponding synopsis's in my brain that expected highly structured symph prog. Even the outré Schizoid Man had enough touchstones to pop song structures of the day to fall into what I expected of a prog rock song. It was a totally different case when I first listened to Lizard, as it was just too far off the formal prog rock standards that I was expecting. It was many years later that I started to appreciate the album for it's bold venture beyond the bounds of symphonic prog rock. I can't say that I've ever warmed up the Discipline era material but I can appreciate why others venerate it.

Edited by SteveG - December 30 2019 at 08:19
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>