Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - List Percentages of your music collection by genre
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List Percentages of your music collection by genre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Percentages of your music collection by genre
    Posted: December 28 2019 at 13:06
I was curious about what percentage of my music collection was Prog rock, and generally how it could be broken down by genre, so decided to calculate it. I'm also curious about the musical collections of members of this site.  (Mostly Prog Rock like me?)

If you have a significant number of tracks of various genres, break it down and list the percentages.  If you don't want to do all the work of making a spreadsheet (like I did), just estimate.

I know there's some blurred lines about what's prog/not prog, but, again, just try to estimate. If you consider it "proggy" enough, included it with Prog. (e.g., I included most of my "Prog Related" stuff with regular Rock--but not all of it).

If you have a large amount of Jazz Rock/Fusion, include it separately.

Here's my list (from a total of about 830 hours of music).

Genre Percent
Progressive Rock/ Prog folk 46.76%
Rock/Pop/Alternative  22.54%
Classical 6.12%
Jazz (non-fusion/prog) 5.40%
Folk/acoustic (non-prog) 4.08%
World/New age 3.84%
Jazz Rock/Fusion 3.60%
Metal (non-Prog) 3.00%
R&B/Soul/Reggae
2.16%
Electronica 1.20%
Soundtracks 0.84%
Other (Country/Comedy/rap/etc.) 0.48%
Total 100%
Z
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 13:19
^ That's a lot of categorizing...............
I'm guessing at mine:
Progressive Rock = 40%
Hard Rock/Metal = 30%
R&B/Funk = 20%
Jazz = 10%
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 14:40
I have no idea actually. I have a lot of classic rock, pop rock and alternative and some metal but I'm guessing prog makes up at least 40 percent for me with the rest being mostly from the above mentioned categories.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 15:10
hmmmmm hard to say for sure but Probably something like 

Prog: 70%
Jazz/Fusion 20%
Hard Rock 5%
Folk 5%

I know what I like and I like what I know Smile theres definitely a lot of other stuff mixed in there though.

If its worth noting, im a classical Pianist but I don't listen to much classical, really enjoy playing it however.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - December 28 2019 at 15:11
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 15:26
I know what I like in my wardrobe and I can tell you that out of my entire collection of 2,600 CD's, around 160 of them are prog, which works out at about 6%. Smile

I'm happy to admit I have marginally more Disco, Soul & Motown than Prog-Rock. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 28 2019 at 15:30
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 15:33
Although I applaud your effort, I don't have the time to wade through my collection (between CDs, vinyl and downloads it runs into the thousands). So, eyeballing it, I suppose it would be something like:

GenrePercent
Rock/Pop/Alternative 25%
Progressive Rock20%
Blues13%
Classical12%
Folk/Acoustic/World10%
Jazz
8%
R&B/Soul/Reggae7%
Country3%
Metal (non-prog)1%
Everything else1%

Total100%

Edited by The Dark Elf - December 28 2019 at 15:35
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 15:53
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I know what I like in my wardrobe and I can tell you that out of my entire collection of 2,600 CD's, around 160 of them are prog, which works out at about 6%. Smile

I'm happy to admit I have marginally more Disco, Soul & Motown than Prog-Rock. Smile

**Gasp!**Shocked
Z
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 16:18
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

hmmmmm hard to say for sure but Probably something like 

Prog: 70%
Jazz/Fusion 20%
Hard Rock 5%
Folk 5%

I know what I like and I like what I know Smile theres definitely a lot of other stuff mixed in there though.

If its worth noting, im a classical Pianist but I don't listen to much classical, really enjoy playing it however.

You might like Gleb Kolyadin then. Wink 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 16:31
Across vinyl, CDs, downloads etc. I estimate this split:

40% Prog
30% Classic Rock
20% Jazz
10% Classical
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 17:04
Hmm...below are rough estimates:

66% prog
22% jazz
10% avant-garde
2% other
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 17:27
Would love to figure this out....but....everything is packed right now.  Maybe I'll make a note to come back once I've unpacked and I'll categorize whilst doing that. 
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 17:37
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

**Gasp!**Shocked
That's mainly because Disco, Soul & Motown is much more readily available than Prog-Rock in my local record stores. Smile 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 17:56
I would say roughly about 75% prog. This number used to be lower, but my purchases lean so heavily towards prog over the last decade that that number keeps rising. The only non-prog albums I can remember buying in the last couple of years were Grandaddy's Last Place , ELO's Alone in the Universe, and Billy Joel's Streetlife Serenade.  
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 19:24
About 98% Prog.

I'm not entirely sure how many different albums I have in total, as some may be duplicated on record, tape and CD. The only thing I genuinely tried to count was the albums I have that were not Prog. I thought that would be relatively easy. I have not attempted to separate out JazzRock Fusion. Most Prog-Related I am counting as not Prog with the exception of the two Steve Vai albums I have. I listed that which I am not counting as Prog below:

1 best of Gordon Lightfoot album
Lindisfarne the Peel Sessions
4 Shawn Phillips albums (though he is now Prog-Related at PA, I will count Prog-Related as not Prog)
3 Miles Davis albums (2 really, since Bitches Brew is Prog Rock)
Genesis (ATTWT onward)
1 Brent Michael Davids sound track: Bright Circles
The Pink Panther and Other Famous Spy Themes
1 Clannad album (Folk)
1 early Dweezil Zappa album
Nat Lyon - New England Paradigm Shift (Alternative)
Van Halen - 1984
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
Aerosmith - Rocks
An album of glass harmonica music (Classical)
Two albums of Japanese bamboo flute
2 Wolgemut albums (Medieval German)

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 20:38
Prog Rock 36%
Avant/Zeuhl 27%
Rock 10%
Jazz 8%
Folk/Folk Prog 6%
Metal 4%
New Age 4%
Classical 2%
Ambient 1%
Pop 1%
Blues 1%
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 21:18
Mine is probably about..

90% solo Phil Collins.

8% Prog

2% Classical or Classic Rock, or something.

No, seriously idk. I have a ton of Wishbone Ash, a ton of Beatles. Every T Rex album, every Steely Dan album. All the classic Kiss albums. So I guess like mostly classic stuff. Oh a bunch of Queen albums I see.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 22:47
I have put all my albums & singles to discogs. so if you are interested, you can calculate there (I am too lazy to think about what´s prog and what´s something else).

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 06:59
Prog 24%
Other rock 15%
Metal 6%
Jazz/fusion 25%
Classical 15%
Blues 5%
World 3%
New age 3%
Funk/soul/r&b 2%
Other2%

Edited by Fischman - December 29 2019 at 07:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 09:55
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Mine is probably about..

90% solo Phil Collins.

8% Prog

No, seriously idk. I have a ton of Wishbone Ash, a ton of Beatles. Every T Rex album, every Steely Dan album. All the classic Kiss albums. So I guess like mostly classic stuff. Oh a bunch of Queen albums I see.

LOL
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 13:04
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Mine is probably about..

90% solo Phil Collins.

8% Prog

< ="text/" style="display:none"> // < ="text/" ="https://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/s/04b3eb47/cloudflare-static/mirage2.min.js"> LOL

Glad someone appreciates my humor lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>