Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - List Percentages of your music collection by genre
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List Percentages of your music collection by genre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 02:05
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Mine is probably about..

90% solo Phil Collins.

8% Prog

2% Classical or Classic Rock, or something.

No, seriously idk. I have a ton of Wishbone Ash, a ton of Beatles. Every T Rex album, every Steely Dan album. All the classic Kiss albums. So I guess like mostly classic stuff. Oh a bunch of Queen albums I see.
Great to hear you love also classic rock like Beatles & T Rex. I have always thought youīre only prog listening person (I think here are many of them). You may already know I love all music that I think great, mainstream or indie, donīt care. And got most of the classic rock albums in my collection (really should buy some T Rex -album).
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 03:29
No idea and not about to start counting, but I'd say that Rock (in the larger sense), folk (in its rockier form) and jazz (in the larger sense) amount to 95%...
The rest being Chanson Franįaise (Brel Lavilliers, Nougaro, etc... >> generally anthologies) or classical
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 04:17
Out of 377 discs:

33% Prog/avant-garde rock
14% other rock/metal
23% Jazz
17% Classical
5% Pop
3% Electronica
5% other
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 06:00
Out of 114 albums, mostly CDs but a few downloads too

43% Prog
37% Rock
8% Singer/Songwriter
8% Classical
4% Pop
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 08:49
It looks like I have the lowest percentage of prog on PA with around 6.5% of the total, although that still works out at about 180 prog albums, if I include all of my prog compilations too. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 30 2019 at 08:50
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 09:33
60% prog
10% jazz
15% fusion
15% rock/pop
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 12:34
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It looks like I have the lowest percentage of prog on PA with around 6.5% of the total, although that still works out at about 180 prog albums, if I include all of my prog compilations too. Smile

Pretty good, that's about the number of prog albums I had when I joined this site.
Z
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 13:35
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

Pretty good, that's about the number of prog albums I had when I joined this site.
I buy most of my CD albums from charity shops, car boot sales & pound stores, but not surprisingly, I don't find many classic prog albums at those kind of bargain basement prices. Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 13:48

This thread was really just a ruse to flush out those members not qualified to post on prog. Unfortunately as your percentage of prog is below the required 50% minimum you must immediately leave the site until you have purchased the 1200 albums needed to bring up your average. 

Thank you for your cooperation.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 14:26
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

This thread was really just a ruse to flush out those members not qualified to post on prog. Unfortunately as your percentage of prog is below the required 50% minimum you must immediately leave the site until you have purchased the 1200 albums needed to bring up your average. 

Though I think we can allow double points for each album in the RIO/Avant-Prog sub-genre.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 14:34
no ideer anymore.  I have very little vinyl left, a lot of CDs, and a lot of MP3's, but no central repository for everything, just itunes which is where my favorites are clustered.  I also listen to a ton of prog on spotify which I pay for
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 14:38
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Though I think we can allow double points for each album in the RIO/Avant-Prog sub-genre.

As far as I'm aware, I don't have any albums in the RIO/Avant-Prog sub-genre, so that rules me out for double points. Smile
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 14:55
70% Prog
10% Rock/Metal
10% Guided By Voices/Robert Pollard
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 23:41
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Mine is probably about..

90% solo Phil Collins.

8% Prog

No, seriously idk. I have a ton of Wishbone Ash, a ton of Beatles. Every T Rex album, every Steely Dan album. All the classic Kiss albums. So I guess like mostly classic stuff. Oh a bunch of Queen albums I see.
Great to hear you love also classic rock like Beatles & T Rex. I have always thought youīre only prog listening person (I think here are many of them). You may already know I love all music that I think great, mainstream or indie, donīt care. And got most of the classic rock albums in my collection (really should buy some T Rex -album).

Oh yeah, you seem to be an open minded kind of music lover like me. And yes I love both T Rex  and obviously The Beatles. As far as T Rex, their(his) most popular albums are certainly Electric Warrior and The Slider. And, for me, those 2 plus Tanx make up their 'Big 3' of truly great albums. A Beard of Stars and the self-titled album are very good as well. Really the only album of theirs that I don't like is Bolan's Zip Gun. Imo their most 'can't miss' album is The Slider. Hope that helps.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2019 at 02:19

Mine is probably about..

90% solo Phil Collins.

8% Prog

Oh yeah, you seem to be an open minded kind of music lover like me. And yes I love both T Rex  and obviously The Beatles. As far as T Rex, their(his) most popular albums are certainly Electric Warrior and The Slider. And, for me, those 2 plus Tanx make up their 'Big 3' of truly great albums. A Beard of Stars and the self-titled album are very good as well. Really the only album of theirs that I don't like is Bolan's Zip Gun. Imo their most 'can't miss' album is The Slider. Hope that helps.
Bowie has always been me bigger than Bolan, although even Bowie is not one of my biggest idols. Anyway some years ago I decided to listen all Bolan-albums through and there wasnīt any I didnīt like at all. I donīt think he ever made such a masterpieces as "the Man Who Sold the World", "Hunky Dory" or "Ziggy Stardust", but my faves from him are "Beard Of Stars" and "T-Rex". I believe I will listen his first album (My people were fair...) today again! Whatīs your Beatles-favorite? Mine is Revolver, then comes Sgt & Abbey Road.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2019 at 04:36
difficult to say. my guess is about this:

35% classical music
5% jazz music
5% ethnic music
50% rock music
5% miscellaneous

to further split up the 50% of rock music:
5% heavy rock (including heavy prog; for us heavy is foremost heavy, prog or not)
5% jazz-rock/fusion
5% symphonic prog
5% RIO/avant (I include Zeuhl in this because there simply are not that many Zeuhl albums to constitute a significant percentage in a collection of about 10000 CDs)
20% psychedelic/space rock (this includes Krautrock. and "Krautrock" does for me NOT mean German prog; many bands listed as Krautrock in the archives fall into some of the other categories)
5% eclectic prog
5% "normal" rock (bands that don't fall into any of these categories)
but this is a very rough estimation; I may be quite wrong about some of the numbers. no special listing of RPI or French prog; I don't differentiate by country, with the exception of Krautrock as a genre, which is not due to country but due to style.

oh, and about 90% of our rock music is 60s or 70s rock music. those were definitely the most creative decades for rock music

Edited by BaldJean - January 01 2020 at 07:04

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2019 at 05:33
No idea, but something like:

80% prog
40% metal
5% pop

Big smile
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2019 at 23:56

Bowie has always been me bigger than Bolan, although even Bowie is not one of my biggest idols. Anyway some years ago I decided to listen all Bolan-albums through and there wasnīt any I didnīt like at all. I donīt think he ever made such a masterpieces as "the Man Who Sold the World", "Hunky Dory" or "Ziggy Stardust", but my faves from him are "Beard Of Stars" and "T-Rex". I believe I will listen his first album (My people were fair...) today again! Whatīs your Beatles-favorite? Mine is Revolver, then comes Sgt & Abbey Road.

I don't really put anyone ahead of Marc Bolan, except maybe Lennon and McCartney, and Zappa.. but that's pretty much it. And agree with you, I consider Revolver the Beatles best album. With Abbey Road right there (obviously a massively great and classic album. And I consider the Let It Be album very underrated in their catalogue, I like it a lot. From the early Beatlemania albums, I like A Hard Day's Night, it's a really good album. I'm such a Beatlemaniac, the only album I don't like from them (or consider weaker than the rest) is Beatles For Sale.. the first like 5 songs are good but after that it's a lot of filler. But the Beatles are the best, there isn't any doubt in my mind. I used to listen to them a lot and still do from time to time.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 03:50

I don't really put anyone ahead of Marc Bolan, except maybe Lennon and McCartney, and Zappa.. but that's pretty much it. And agree with you, I consider Revolver the Beatles best album. With Abbey Road right there (obviously a massively great and classic album. And I consider the Let It Be album very underrated in their catalogue, I like it a lot. From the early Beatlemania albums, I like A Hard Day's Night, it's a really good album. I'm such a Beatlemaniac, the only album I don't like from them (or consider weaker than the rest) is Beatles For Sale.. the first like 5 songs are good but after that it's a lot of filler. But the Beatles are the best, there isn't any doubt in my mind. I used to listen to them a lot and still do from time to time.
Wow, so Bolan is to you as big as P J Harvey, Captain Beefheart, Dr. John, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, John Parish, Pekka Pohjola & Jukka Gustavson are to me! I just took Bowie into this, because I have understood they were at least in the begin of seventies some kind of competitors. As I said, Bolan has never been big to me, but I really respect him. I think heīs got own way to do music already in the beginning and continue in his own way, although he hasnīt got same kind of success after Tanx. Anyway he made many decent albums after that. And I also really enjoyed his first album yesterday, you know I have really liked acoustic stuff past few years!

Yeah, youīre right Let It Be is underrated. Of course it has some quite mediocre songs, but the great ones are really great! I used to like only their after Help!-albums, but in the nineties I just decided to buy also their early albums. And I have to say I like them all, maybe With the Beatles is my favorite, although really like also Hard days and Help! And even their first album there are some my big Beatles favorites (title song, Thereīs a Place). I agree you about Beatles For Sale, but there are also some really great songs (Eight Days a Week, Words Of Love, Every Little Thing that Yes made great version). Am I right youīre not big the Who or Stones-fan? I donīt think myself Beatlemaniac, although it has been in my life almost my whole life, but I have a good friend who really is! Also I think there might ever become prog in the mainstream (or maybe not at all) without Beatles.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 13:11
^ They certainly had a big influence no question. They did a lot of very experimental stuff and took a lot of risks especially in the later part of their career. As far as the Stones and the Who, I obviously respect them they're Giants who had tons of great stuff, but they're just not special(to me) like the Fabs. I'm sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>