Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s the appeal of The Flower Kings?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 21:20
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Sum of no evil *

;)

The struggle of trying to type on mobile, or should I say nobile

LOL
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 19:43
It was transatlantics first album that made me aware of The Flower Kings I'd never even heard of them before that.. I rushed out and purchased space revolver ... Man I was blown away  so the next album I purchased was back in the world of adventures ... this set me up to become a flower kings addict I just had to have more. To think it was Mike portnoy's involvement with transatlantic that led me to the flower kings ... I have always been a huge dream theater fan and one thing led to another which eventually helped me discover The Flower Kings .. I thank Mike Portnoy for making me aware that such a great band existed. 

Edited by Enchant X - January 04 2020 at 19:50
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 07:35
Yikes...the amount of hate you're getting for expressing your dislike for one band is bizarre...apparently TFK fans can be pretty sensitive.

I've seen others on this site bitch and moan about all the big prog bands and everyone pats them on the back for it. Apparently TFK's are off limits lol.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 12:03
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Yikes...the amount of hate you're getting for expressing your dislike for one band is bizarre...apparently TFK fans can be pretty sensitive.

I've seen others on this site bitch and moan about all the big prog bands and everyone pats them on the back for it. Apparently TFK's are off limits lol.

Yo snowflake.
I don't detect any hate in the responses.
Just differing opinions on why doug seems to be a progger who loves old prog but hasn't yet got the love for a band very much influenced by the very bands he loves...
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 12:19
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Yo snowflake.
Just differing opinions on why doug seems to be a progger who loves old prog but hasn't yet got the love for a band very much influenced by the very bands he loves...

I love plenty of “retro” style prog, the flower kings just haven’t done anything for me yet. No need for name calling.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 12:37
Only a "snowflake" would consider the slightly derogatory perjorative "name-calling"...😎
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 12:42

Yo snowflake.

I love plenty of “retro” style prog, the flower kings just haven’t done anything for me yet. No need for name calling.

The issue is re-read your OP. You don't like Roine's voice and called it prog by numbers and generic music, and then claiming because we like TFK that we think Neal Morse is the greatest thing to happen to prog.
Confused
And then you ask for suggestions, we gave them to you and now go hear them, if you chose not to then so be it. If it still does not resonate with you then discussion over and simply state you don't like them without insinuating TFK fans like generic music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 13:08
What's up with boomers calling people snowflakes and thinking it’s the ultimate comeback? Anyways I since apologized for my original comment but this thread shows me that many TFK fans are much like Neal Morse fans. I will listen to Space Revolver sometime this week but people are getting too upset over this.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 13:15
This is a big boys forum...suck it up buttercup! If you think this is bad then go read the Political Thread, calling someone snowflake is Pre-K language compared to what happens there....

This forum has YEARS of threads about bands getting slammed......I slam the Fab Four any chance I get. ClapLOL
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 13:26
There's a reason I stayed out of this thread WinkLOL
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 13:30
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This is a big boys forum...suck it up buttercup! If you think this is bad then go read the Political Thread, calling someone snowflake is Pre-K language compared to what happens there....

This forum has YEARS of threads about bands getting slammed......I slam the Fab Four any chance I get. ClapLOL

Im not offended hahaha, you and Barney seem to be the most upset people here right now. The only people who unironically call people snowflakes are red hat wearing 50 year old dads on the internet.

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 13:31
That would be a great band name.....the snowflakes and their first album...Lowering the Boom
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 13:39
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

There's a reason I stayed out of this thread WinkLOL

LOL

Well.....I own the first 7 albums by TFK....good music for the most part but I can see where some might call it prog by numbers.
Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - January 07 2020 at 13:46
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 14:17
Who says I was upset? I was simply stating that the opinion of the OP was being questioned in terms of perceived wisdom of listening to hundreds of hours of third gen prog. I think that the flokis are the best at producing quality epics...and I would defy anybody who appreciates guitar solos to not love the last 5 minutes of Monsters and Men...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 14:41

Who says I was upset? I was simply stating that the opinion of the OP was being questioned in terms of perceived wisdom of listening to hundreds of hours of third gen prog. I think that the flokis are the best at producing quality epics...and I would defy anybody who appreciates guitar solos to not love the last 5 minutes of Monsters and Men...

I have added that to my listen-to list
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 15:31

Im not offended hahaha, you and Barney seem to be the most upset people here right now. The only people who unironically call people snowflakes are red hat wearing 50 year old dads on the internet.

My 3 posts on page one gots nothing to do with being upset..........I could careless if anyone likes TFK, how would that increase my bank account balance??
Again, this thread is child's play considering some of the band discussions of years past, and TFK topic has come up many times.

Again, TFK rule nuff said.........Next please! 
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 15:34
^ true this I remember when the forum spent a month on how Steven Wilson felt about the Flower Kings

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 16:55
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

^ true this I remember when the forum spent a month on how Steven Wilson felt about the Flower Kings

Holy smokes........forgot about that one LOLClap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 17:15

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Holy smokes........forgot about that one LOLClap

No bad blood though, I will listen to them and i’ll report my results.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 00:19
^ aye, SW was just jealous of RS's mastery of the guitar...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>