Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canterbury Scene Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canterbury Scene Music
    Posted: January 03 2020 at 12:03
Just as it says on the label, this is a blog for posting all of your favourite Canterbury Scene songs, albums, concerts and documentaries, or if you just want to drop by for a general chit-chat about the Canterbury Scene, that's fine too. Smile

Starting with Steve Hillage - Live in Canterbury - BBC TV 1979

Amazingly, I only just discovered the Canterbury Scene music of Steve Hillage a week ago after reviewing his first album "Fish Rising" (1975). I'm heading into Nottingham soon to buy his 2nd, 3rd & 4th albums. I'd buy his first album too, but it's no longer available. Confused

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 21 2023 at 06:26
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 13:29
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 13:40
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 16:09
Favorite "classic era" Canterbury song:

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 16:26
But you should also hear this:

and this:

and this:

and one more:

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 23:15
Fav GongSong (also really great performance):
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 23:18
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 01:00
I listened to national health today on the way home from a day of skiing with a friend today. I really only have a surface level knowledge of this sub genre currently but I’m hoping to expand over the coming months
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 02:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Amazingly, I only just discovered the Canterbury Scene music of Steve Hillage a week ago after reviewing his first album "Fish Rising" (1975). I'm heading into Nottingham soon to buy his 2nd, 3rd & 4th albums. I'd buy his first album too, but it's no longer available. Confused

I have precisely five Canterbury Scene albums: The first four Steve Hillage albums, and the self-titled Hatfield and the North album. The Hatfield and the North album I got since I started visiting PA (before becoming a member), and the four Steve Hillage albums I got more than 30 years ago, well before I'd ever heard of the "Canterbury Scene".

My two favourite Steve Hillage tracks are "Lunar Musick Suite" from L, and "The Glorious Om Riff" from Green. I'm not sure which is my favourite album, though probably Fish RisingSteve Hillage is not an artist I listen to often.

I have listened to some Gong since I started visiting PA, and it was quite a while afterwards that I discovered that Steve Hillage was a member (and that "The Glorious Om Riff" is essentially the same as a Gong track). Admittedly, this came as a surprise since the Gong I knew was such songs as "The Pot Head Pixies".

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 05:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 05:27
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I listened to national health today on the way home from a day of skiing with a friend today. I really only have a surface level knowledge of this sub genre currently but I’m hoping to expand over the coming months
One of my all time favorite bands. Great players and songs. Hope you enjoy them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 06:59
Sanguine Hum is classified as Neo-Prog on PA. That should be changed to Canterbury.

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 09:25

National Health's debut album is the one album I hold more dearly than any other on this earth, it's such an amazing journey. As a musician, this song written by keyboard wizard Alan Gowen gave me huge anxiety for a long time because it felt so far ahead of what I was able to accomplish compositionally, but it did help me to broaden my horizons and refine my own writings:

The two bands that National Health was formed out of (Gilgamesh and Hatfield & The North) are truly excellent as well:

Edited by Mirakaze - January 04 2020 at 09:27
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 09:58
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

One of my all time favorite bands. Great players and songs. Hope you enjoy them.

Absolutely love them, their music is just so damn cool
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 10:05
Superb Supersisters

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 08:36
Hi,

It's kind of strange to think that one area is better than the other ... they are all different, and just about every country has its own "Canterbury" (just look at the Scotland/Wales areas!) ... and they are all a bit different. The Spanish have it (you can look at Flamenco, or the Gypsy stuff, or others), the French have it, and so do many other Europeans!

I think that CANTERBURY as we know it, was about folks that had some education, and many of them became music masters and instructors, whereas in other areas this did not happen, and for that the development of the music took shape and a place as "Canterbury", as if it were a style, but I'm not sure it is just a "style" as much as it is something that borrows from jazz, folk, rock and a lot of other musics. The early days of "Canterbury" is full of artists, writers, musicians and many others ... but we do not seem to think that those things matter ... they DO!

I've always joked that for Soft Machine, for example, what had started as "improvisation" in the early days in the words of Robert Wyatt, actually became "compositions", not improvisations ... since the moments and the changes and a lot of the parts of the music are "pre-defined" and sometimes you can hear the whistle say ... FOUL ... here it is ... that new theme! I really think that Robert's book title is a take on this ... INTENTIONALLY, because it would mean the music was not different each and every time! Not improvised as we think or imagine at all!

Edited by moshkito - January 05 2020 at 08:38
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 10:59
Thanks for all of the great posts everyone. Thumbs Up Maybe it's time I gave Soft Machine another listen, because they're a bit of an acquired taste and I wasn't too keen on them when I heard them for the first time many years ago. I've just seen a 5-CD box set of Soft Machine in my local record shop and it might be worth buying if I can really get into their music. Funnily enough, I'd never heard of the Canterbury Scene before I joined ProgArchives, even though I've been buying and listening to Caravan's albums for the last ten years.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 05 2020 at 11:00
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 12:04
Well, to me it was also in the middle of 2010 when I read Matti Pajuniemi´s book of prog 1967-79, when I heard first time there exists Canterbury scene in prog. Probably that scene had made later, bands in sixties/seventies in the UK just played music they enjoyed, at least those bands of Canterbury were called just prog then.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 12:22
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Well, to me it was also in the middle of 2010 when I read Matti Pajuniemi´s book of prog 1967-79, when I heard first time there exists Canterbury scene in prog. Probably that scene had made later, bands in sixties/seventies in the UK just played music they enjoyed, at least those bands of Canterbury were called just prog then.

I even found a Canterbury Scene band from France - Lard Free - who've never been anywhere near Canterbury as far as I know. Smile 
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 13:14
The No. 1 Website for the original Canterbury Scene: http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr/
There is Canterbury inspired Music all over the world of Course (Japan:)

Edited by TheH - January 05 2020 at 13:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>