Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums you no longer enjoy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 05:58
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Very little of the music I enjoyed at 20 fails to give me pleasure at 57. The only exceptions might be some brief dalliances with Frippertronics, Philip Glass, Tangerine Dream and Rush (apart from Moving Pictures)
Same here Iain. Just curious, how have your tastes changed over time. I still like a lot of the old prog and rock standbys, but I could never listen to the old standards like CttE, DSotM, etc. these days. I just got burned out on them years ago.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 07:40
^ I gravitated circa early 90's from almost exclusively Post Punk (which I grew up with) to the past: Prog, Psychedelia, Jazz, Classical, Noel Coward (yes really), Eastern European Folk Music, Dub and North African Folk Music. The reasons for the looking backwards are maybe obscure but I guess I just never felt an intuitive  connection to Grunge, EDM, House, Ambient/Trance, Rap or what passed for contemporary Pop in my lifetime. Unlike many others on the site however, I don't consider this a qualitative judgement. As I've grown older I've learned that the things I can justify reasons for not liking, are usually things that I encountered first hand e.g when I still listened to the radio or even cared about keeping abreast of musical developments. It's not an exact science but I reckon we are all irrelevant and completely clueless farts around 40. YMMVOuch

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 07 2020 at 07:58
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 07:47
I gotta say every RUSH album except A Farewell To Kings.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 07:48
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Radiohead
Radiohead you are either a troll or need to get a life  ... grow up
ginodi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginodi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 08:06
I can't say there are any Prog albums I won't listen to from start to end. I can't stand to hear most all 80's metal anymore (except for Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, and Accept (up to Metal Heart)). I was actively playing during those years, and I heard so much of it that it lost all appeal. Anything Blue rock is another I won't even listen for longer than a minute. 
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 09:54
When I was young, I thought The Wall was pure brilliance. Ultra-cool, engrossing, heart-breaking, dark and powerful.

Now I think it's self-coddling pants with some good songs thrown in. Side two after "Goodbye Blue Sky" is such obnoxious rubbish.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 09:59
Any album I have heard too many times(or it's songs too many times) I kind of get tired of and don't enjoy as much. For me this would be dark side of the moon, the wall, fragile, close to the edge, the yes album, aqualung, moving pictures, 2112, wish you were here and most early King Crimson albums. They aren't bad and I might still play them occasionally but those as well as a few others I have kind of burnt out on.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 10:18
I am burnt out on several albums but I still enjoy them. So my answer to the OP is none.
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 10:29
There are countless albums I no longer "need", "love" etc. Yet I can't remember an album that I used to enjoy and don't now. Some of them give the feeling of nostalgia, for some I got disillusioned realizing that they are not that special. But I guess I still enjoy, if not all, most. I may enjoy perhaps all, when I'm in the mood.
MaldonTerryWood View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaldonTerryWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 10:37
I used to like the Man LPs. The Welsh wizards. '2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle' etc. Coming back to them after twenty or so years they didn't sound so good. But maybe that's because they were always better live than in the studio. Same with a lot of the early prog bands.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 11:24
Originally posted by paisanojac paisanojac wrote:

There's a thread for albums about which you've changed your mind. It's about not liking it in the beginning, but now it's grown on you and you dig it. For me that would be Adrian Belew's Inner Revolution. Here I'm asking the opposite question: What album did you used to really think was great, but now does nothing for you?   I'll give you one:

Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time  (4.09 rating here on PA with 41% 5-star reviews). It is the highest rated Hawkwind album on PA and was even remixed by Steven Wilson. 

When I first got it in the early 80s, this 1975 album wasn't an old album, and I was really impressed with it and listening to it often.  Now.......it doesn't do much for me. The last time I listened to it just gave me a nothing feeling. I doubt I'll listen to it often after now.  It's very popular on PA, so I was in the majority in the beginning, but now I'm not. Oh well. 
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 11:37
Oh the Floyd have stuff that I feel "grown" out of. Not all. I now wish the band The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking instead of The Wall.
Queen I can't listen to (Bohemian Rhapsody has the Live Aid sequence and that's it!!) anymore. But would love to see apps, Can you sing as high as Jon Anderson or Scream Like Roger Waters!
Led Zeppelin, even live get nothing from these days.
And Cream! Hendrix is all I seem to enjoy for Blues.
Really fell out of love with 12 bar stuff (It'll come back one day) recently.
As much as I love Hugh Hopper, his 1984 album I only like for that one with the goose thing just as the end.
A lot of Prog has still stood up. Curved Air could never ever be included in such a thread, unless it was to say Curved Air couldn't possibly be in a thread about albums no longer enjoy.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 14:13
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I no longer listen to Led Zeppelin....after years of over-play on Chicago FM radio, their catalog sounds dated to me.  Also, I don't much care for blues-flavored rock as I used to.  

Hope that will never happen to me. Been listening to them for 30 years and the enjoyment is still there. I don't listen on a regular basis anymore, of course, but I spin the whole thing once or twice a year.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 14:20
1. I don't need to "get a life" because I no longer like Radiohead the way I used to. Sheez.
2. I stopped listening to radio way back in 1977, except when around others who had it on, so I haven't burned out completely on early classic rock like Zeppelin and such, because I haven't heard "Whole Lotta Love" 10,000 times. I do, however, let many years pass between listenings and that helps keep it fresh. I do the same with my favorite groups -- go without for a year or two and then the magic is recaptured when I do listen.
3. I am amazed at how hostile people can get when your tastes differ from theirs.
PROGMATIC
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 14:51
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Radiohead

WTF???

I'm with progmatic. I didn't include Radiohead on my list, although I think they are total sh*te. That's because I've ALWAYS thought they were total sh*te.
Do you want me to get s life and grow up, too?
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 15:10

3. I am amazed at how hostile people can get when your tastes differ from theirs.
That is the way of PA and I don't approve.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 15:34
On the other hand, I see Enchant X is from Australia, so I'm going to cut him/her some slack because I think I'd be wigging out if I had to deal with what people in that continent are forced to face right now.
PROGMATIC
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 16:01
In the prog realm,The Wall and The Final Cut, cant play either anymore and I'm a huge Floyd head. Otherwise the two that jump out are Guns n Rose's- Appetite For Destruction and Ozzy - Blizzard Of Oz.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 16:12
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

In the prog realm,The Wall and The Final Cut, cant play either anymore and I'm a huge Floyd head. Otherwise the two that jump out are Guns n Rose's- Appetite For Destruction and Ozzy - Blizzard Of Oz.

You can still play them just maybe only once a year(or once every other year). WinkLOL

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 07 2020 at 16:13
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 00:11
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Radiohead

WTF???

I'm with progmatic. I didn't include Radiohead on my list, although I think they are total sh*te. That's because I've ALWAYS thought they were total sh*te.
Do you want me to get s life and grow up, too?

but you never liked them so it doesn't add much to the thread idea.

I do find it odd that its possible to like everything by a band and then not like them at all. I mean it's not as if Radiohead just churned stuff out. The Bends , OK Computer and Kid A are all very different and there is a lot to be said for that regardless of whether you like it or not. I like some of their music a lot (Kid A and In Rainbows especially) and they pulled off the neat trick of bringing prog back into the UK charts after a long absence (Paranoid Android) . It was hilarious at least to seem them being compared to Yes and Genesis for a while (until Kid A came out) 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>