Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums you no longer enjoy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums you no longer enjoy?
    Posted: January 06 2020 at 08:35
There's a thread for albums about which you've changed your mind. It's about not liking it in the beginning, but now it's grown on you and you dig it. For me that would be Adrian Belew's Inner Revolution. Here I'm asking the opposite question: What album did you used to really think was great, but now does nothing for you?   I'll give you one:

Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time  (4.09 rating here on PA with 41% 5-star reviews). It is the highest rated Hawkwind album on PA and was even remixed by Steven Wilson. 

When I first got it in the early 80s, this 1975 album wasn't an old album, and I was really impressed with it and listening to it often.  Now.......it doesn't do much for me. The last time I listened to it just gave me a nothing feeling. I doubt I'll listen to it often after now.  It's very popular on PA, so I was in the majority in the beginning, but now I'm not. Oh well. 
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 09:06
I just want to say ,i am a huge yes fan .my first record from yes was TORMATO but sadly after listening to other albums by them ,i find TORMATO rather uninteresting, the only track ON THE SILENT WINGS OF FREEDOM remains a favorite, especially after listening to TRIBUTE TO CHRIS SQUIRE cd.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 09:38
Dream Theatre's "Images and Words." I don't dislike it, probably one of the few prog-metal albums I like, but I must confess I haven't listened to or desire to listen for a very long time.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 09:50
Well I got into prog through Styx and Kansas and after getting deep in the rabbit hole, they don’t do anything for me anymore. I do sometimes revisit the first two Kansas albums but I listened to leftoverture and point of know return so much that i pretty much know those albums note for note so the magic isn’t there anymore for me.

Used to be a big Neal Morse fan, now I kind of see him as second rate, sometimes I revisit snow live and I’ve kinda had the urge to hear similitude but I’m not a fan much anymore

Close to the edge is a perfect album that I generally don’t have the urge to revisit much anymore

I think I listened to wobblers FSTS atleast 100 something’s times now so it doesn’t hit as hard since I know the highs when they are about to come, still one of my favorite albums ever.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - January 06 2020 at 09:51
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 10:12
All of the Peter Gabriel era Genesis albums because I got a bit tired of the "theatrical" vocals with goat vibrato.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 10:14
Hi,

None really ... I still enjoy Quatermass as much today as I did when I first heard it what ... 45 years ago?

I would imagine that I do not enjoy things like Genesis as much these days, but I can tell you that when I put on the album (CD these days), it's fine ... I don't remember anything else except the feelings that the album brought up ... 

I always gave a "dedicated" listen to just about anything I had, so I really can not tell you of any album I have that I no longer enjoy ... it would not be there in the first place.

Just because I got older, doesn't mean I can not appreciate something 45 years old, or something from last year ... or vice versa ... so, to me, the suggestion is, that many folks do not really spend the time listening to an album with a good "intent" ... like they are looking for something else, and when you do that, the album loses a lot of its own personality and beauty ... I spend my time looking for that, instead, not thoughts that it sounds like, or it is not, or whatever other silly ideas we keep using to not appreciate the human spirit!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 14:56
The entire 80's & 90's Genesis catalog starting with Duke. Haven't listened in years and have no desire to. In fact, I must have sold these tapes and cd's, because they don't even exist in my collection.   
Deafmoon
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 15:08
I am with Moshkito on this completely.  None.  If I enjoyed it back in the ealy '70's, I still enjoy it to this day.  Now because of the huge amount of good music out and because I keep my collection in roation.  I don't listen to the older stuff as much, but I still do. And I am not all that strict in my rotation schemes.  I will listen to whatever the hell I want to if I get the hankering to.  You could probably lock me up in a prison cell in solitary confinement and you would never be able to shut off the music in my mind. Torture me would be playing current pop music at me thhough.  Now I am worried that I have given the torturers who are after me ideas...

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 15:19
Well...there are several classic rock things I don't really get into anymore....Springsteen, Petty, etc...and other mainstream acts but I can't say I dislike any prog I bought in the old days.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 16:11
As a teenager the Eloy material between Inside and Silent Cries was among my favourites, and these albums have worn out in the meantime, I now only enjoy very few tracks of these. Their albums from Colours onwards have stood the test of time much better. Another favourite from those times was Tangerine Dream's Ricochet, which I would now rate clearly below Zeit, Atem, Phaedra, Rubycon, Stratosfear, Tangram; I probably just overplayed it, and it has no potential to surprise me anymore, whereas many of the others still hold their secrets. Barclay James Harvest and Alan Parsons Project also were much bigger in the day and have almost completely disappeared from my listening (I still fully enjoy Supertramp of these melodic crossover bands).    

Edited by Lewian - January 06 2020 at 16:13
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 17:41
Oh you had to bring up Tangerine Dream, did you? Oh I saw them on the Optical Dream tour and that one has a special place for me that the other ones can never displace, heheheheh :)

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 06 2020 at 17:43
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 19:59
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Oh you had to bring up Tangerine Dream, did you? Oh I saw them on the Optical Dream tour and that one has a special place for me that the other ones can never displace, heheheheh :)

Some folks have a strange and weird attitude towards TD ... my thoughts always were that this was not pop music, and neither was it ... just another song ...even though one could consider that idea and option.

TD, unlike a lot of bands, changed with the times and the equipment they had ... they helped develop those things they called "echo chambers" and then them things that became very important and valuable ... sorry word for it fails me, but the thumping stuff ... that no one could even come close in quality and variety even today ... it's almost like some folks are scared to even try!

For TD, it wasn't so much about the sound, as it was about what the thoughts and the ideas were in the sound ... and they worked on developing that non-stop ... and even in the last days of EF, this was visible ... something that today, the new version of TD can only do a technical variation on the sound, and not find an "inner movie" that carries it for you and I ... thus, I'm not sure that the new TD, even though it is very modern and up to date when it comes to the music and the use of the equipment, I am not sure that they "color" an inner scene in your mind ... and this is a HUGE thing for a lot of electronic music ... even KS is about developing the sound to help it create and maintain the thematic content, although I am of the opinion that for a while he got stuck in the electronics of it, instead of letting the music fly like he did in his series (WORKS), which were prettier and more enjoyable to my ears, than some of the other, way more technical stuff that he did on regular albums beyond that time!

This is the hard/harsh part of enjoyment and music ... how did you get it "started", and how has that thought/idea changed? ... it wasn't the music ... it was YOU!

Edited by moshkito - January 06 2020 at 20:01
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 23:16
I no longer listen to Led Zeppelin....after years of over-play on Chicago FM radio, their catalog sounds dated to me.  Also, I don't much care for blues-flavored rock as I used to.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 23:47
Although IQ are one of my favourite bands I would say Subterranea would be the obvious one. I find long double albums of this nature somewhat arduous nowadays but at one time it was my favourite album. I think the fact I don't listen to complete albums on headphones any more plays a part. It does give you that immersive experience but I no longer crave that. The way I digest music has changed a lot with the advent of streaming so I like a variety of music to listen.

As far as bands go the Flower Kings are another obvious one and partly for the reasons detailed above. I now only care for Banks of Eden and could happily get shot of everything else including the latest. 
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 01:54
Radiohead
PROGMATIC
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 03:21
One word more on Tangerine Dream. Perhaps I can generally say that for me the live albums have worn out somewhat, whereas many of their studio albums haven't. Same with Encore and Poland. I wonder whether this has to do with the fact that their live attitude is somewhat different to their studio attitude. The material that they played live originally, at least in the old days, was not reproducible and was probably really more played in order to be listened to and appreciated on the spot, the very same moment it happened, not meant to be played again and again and again over 40 or so years to come. So I'm not criticising these albums, I'm just saying maybe it's no surprise that these don't work that well being played repeatedly over a long time. I know some love their live material most though, even on record.

Edited by Lewian - January 07 2020 at 04:51
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 04:02
Styx - The Grand Illusion
Kansas - Point of Know Return, Leftoverture
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
King Crimson - ITCOTCK
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells, Ommadawn (I much prefer his early 80s stuff)
Genesis - TLLDOB (bits are great, but the concept sucks)
ELP - Tarkus, Pictures at an Exhibition
Queen - all albums after A Night at the Opera
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 04:12
Some of the Spock's Beard albums no longer have the same punch or enjoyment that they used to have. It's not that I don't like them anymore, it's just that I have little desire to hear them again.

However, I can say that about a lot of stuff I used to listen to in the past. I was a huge fan of both Iron Maiden and Queensryche but mostly they don't do much for me anymore. Triumph is another one. 

It's not that I actively dislike the music. In fact when I do listen to it I enjoy it, it's just that these days I'd rather find something new to listen to than rehash that stuff.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 04:40
THE WINDMILL - The Continuation
Once I also happened to discovered Rick Miller and was absolutely happy, listening to ~3 his albums a day, but in a fortnight it has all worn off and I never turn it on since then.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 05:30
Very little of the music I enjoyed at 20 fails to give me pleasure at 57. The only exceptions might be some brief dalliances with Frippertronics, Philip Glass, Tangerine Dream and Rush (apart from Moving Pictures)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>