Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adreian Belew Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adreian Belew Appreciation
    Posted: January 06 2020 at 15:32
I may have missed this and apologies if it was done alreay.  But he was a Zappa artist first.  Then Bowie stole him away. Then Talking Heads, then King Crimson, where I really got to know him. There was great solo albums.  I loved The Bears...  I am guessing I am missing something... Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 16:08
I have heard very little of Adrian's solo works but what I have heard I have liked a lot(especially lone rhino).
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 16:20
I'm a big fan of his guitar playing, singing, lyrics, and his general approach to things. His solo albums are a mixed bag though. I can find something I like on all I know, but I'm not fully convinced by any of them.

I should probably get more into the Flux stuff; not sure whether I buy the ideology, but have heard an hour or so of it and liked it.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 17:11
The Bears debut album is one of my all time favorite records. So amazing. Lone Rhino and Twang Bar King are excellent. He did some guitar solo's on Porcupine Tree's Deadwing. Also, in the band Gizmodrome with Stewart Copeland.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 17:21
I thought that was Fripp on deadwing.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 17:25
Fripp did soundscapes. One song on Fear of a Blank Planet. Soloed on Nil Recurring.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - January 06 2020 at 17:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 17:34
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Fripp did soundscapes. One song on Fear of a Blank Planet. Soloed on Nil Recurring.

Just looked it up after posting. Yep. Fripp and Alex Lifeston appeared on FoaBP and Adrian was on deadwing. Unfortunately I'm not really a big fan of either of those albums but I'm glad see the contributions nonetheless. I'm sure it helped PT gain a wider audience too(among other things) which they seemed to have done around that time.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 19:47
I loved Twang Bar King and Lone Rhino. Desire Caught By the Tail was an absolute masterpiece. I wanted more like that. But then he did the Bears, which was an enormous disappointment to me. I stopped looking for his stuff after that except as it intersected with King Crimson. More recently as a retrospective I discovered his Experimental Guitar Series v.1: The Guitar As Orchestra. Really nice.

As far as I know there was no volume 2 in the Experimental Guitar Series.

Edited by HackettFan - January 06 2020 at 19:53
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 23:04
I've met Adrian on a number of occasions, he has a wicked sense of humor and is a very nice guy!  

I felt badly that he was left out of the latest King Crimson iteration, but I understand why Fripp made his decision after I saw this version a few times....Jakko's vocals and guitar style fit the old Crimson music perfectly.  
An amazing musician who made massive contributions to every project he ever played with!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 03:15
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

More recently as a retrospective I discovered his Experimental Guitar Series v.1: The Guitar As Orchestra. Really nice.

As far as I know there was no volume 2 in the Experimental Guitar Series.

Same thoughts here, would've loved to have more of that stuff.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 04:13
I remember buying David Bowie’s Lodger back when I was 13-14 - listening to Red Sails and that orgiastic almost wolfhowl-like guitar solo. Wow!!! I looked up the guitarist and wham bam I was a fan of Belew.
I still prefer his work with Bowie to anything I’ve heard from him, although I’ve slowly come around to Talking Heads.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 05:41
I love Belew too with Bowie and TH. This said, Desire caught by the tail is a fantastic album of experimentations.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 17:14
I used to watch this Electronic Guitar video Adrian Belew put out in the mid 80s. It was instructional in a sense, but mainly it was inspirational and just plain entertaining to watch for pleasure over and over again. I found it on YouTube in two parts:

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 17:37
One thing I've always admired about Adrian Belew was how he could be so fully self-sufficient in performing well-developed Prog solely on his own even when live. Parts 1 and 3 below are a fabulous demonstration of that. Part 2 is another excellent instructional/inspirational vid in the form of an interview:

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 11:10
Very nice postings, thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply