Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the greatest act of trolling in prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the greatest act of trolling in prog?
    Posted: January 07 2020 at 22:01
For me it would have to be Coheed and #hairgate2018. Possibly the greatest prank any progger has pulled off. Well done, Claudio.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 02:55
I've read somewhere that Gentle Giant started playing prog thinking it would be a funny critique of the time. Turned out people took it way more serious.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 09:11
How about thick as a brick which was meant to be a parody of prog.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 10:49
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

How about thick as a brick which was meant to be a parody of prog.
It was indeed meant to be.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 12:29
Any reference to the positive attributes of ELP's Love Beach?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 13:51
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I've never heard ELP's Love Beach, but my guess is the only good thing about it is the album cover. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 14:06
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I've never heard ELP's Love Beach, but my guess is the only good thing about it is the album cover. Wink

I'm not sure I even know how to respond to that. LOL
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 14:14

That one definitely has to be one of the worst covers in the genre.  My God What were they thinking?

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 14:16
When I think of trolling, I think of The Residents.  Intentional trollers maybe for a while, but getting serious every once in a while.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 15:28

I was just being ironic, because in reality, the Love Beach album cover is probably as bad as the album itself. Smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 15:56
TAAB will always be the ultimate (and successful) prog rock troll attempt for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 00:30
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

I've read somewhere that Gentle Giant started playing prog thinking it would be a funny critique of the time. Turned out people took it way more serious.

Perhaps it was a case of 'if you can't beat em join em'

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 00:33
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

TAAB will always be the ultimate (and successful) prog rock troll attempt for me.

if you ask me Anderson was just keeping his options open. Tull were essentially a blues driven band that had more in common with Led Zep than ELP say. But the door was open to prog. If it had failed then Anderson could just say .. well it was just meant to be a piss take and the next album will be different. Little ole cynical me!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 00:36
My vote goes to the Whirlwind....surely Morse can't really be stupid enough to completely miss the fact that evolution has nothing to do with chance?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 06:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Perhaps it was a case of 'if you can't beat em join em'

Prog was a very new thing at the time and I sincerely believe that they thought it would be interesting to experiment. I never talked to Gary Green about this specific thing but I'm pretty sure they thought they had the talent(which they did)and chops to pull it off and like I said they wouldn't have tried prog if they weren't interested. I doubt they saw it as some sort of game or joke.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 08:01

I was just being ironic, because in reality, the Love Beach album cover is probably as bad as the album itself. Smile
See, see...I told ya!  Thumbs UpThumbs UpLOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 08:04
How about Genesis going pop in the 80's? LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 08:44

How about Genesis going pop in the 80's? LOL

I agree. I went right off Genesis after the "Duke" album and their last album "Calling All Stations" didn't sound like Genesis at all to me. Confused
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 09:52
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

My vote goes to the Whirlwind....surely Morse can't really be stupid enough to completely miss the fact that evolution has nothing to do with chance?

Really? I definitely wasn't paying any attention to that album's lyrics!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 09:59
^ aye. The last track...fantastic music, sh*te lyrics..I try to ignore them but once something gets under your skin it irritates to the point of distraction....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>