Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst album from a prog band/artist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst album from a prog band/artist?
    Posted: January 09 2020 at 15:40
These aren't the worst, but the third Egg album (which came four years after they broke up and was an album made of unused material basically) was not *bad*, it just sounded nothing like Egg and sounded more like an inbetween of Gilgamesh, Hatfield, National Health. Canterbury was never the same for me when they dropped the hammond for the electrical piano, but some albums are truly great (Rotters Club and Another Fine Tune to name a few!)

Soft Machine - Fourth was not bad, it has some great Jazz tracks. But it was also nothing like the first three albums that were defined by 'prog, psychedelic and pop with fusion in between'. Fourth wasn't even fusion really, it was just Jazz. Bands sometimes need to change and revolutionize, but they effectively took a step back in time when they made a Jazz album. Keep in mind that even Miles Davis had revolutionized into Fusion a few years earlier.

What are some other albums from great bands that just aren't good or sound nothing like them.
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 18:58
Le Orme's Smogmagica comes to mind.

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 20:00
Camels The Single Factor, contract obligations. I also don’t like stationary travelled though I know many do, it’s not what I look for in the band. Thankfully they had a fantastic comeback after a series of meh albums with Rajaz
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 00:25
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Camels The Single Factor, contract obligations. I also don’t like stationary travelled though I know many do, it’s not what I look for in the band. Thankfully they had a fantastic comeback after a series of meh albums with Rajaz

I wouldn't say I dislike The Single Factor album but I agree that it's Camel's weakest album. I really like the Stationary Traveller album though.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 05:50
Love Island, anyone?
Welcome to the middle of the film.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 05:55
How about these for a start?

Yes - Big Generator
Genesis -  Calling All Stations
ELP - In the Hot Seat
Eloy - Ra
ELO - Balance of Power
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 06:30
I guess the obvious one is 'Love Island' by ELP, but I'm also going to say 'Wind & Wuthering' by Genesis. I just could never gel with it, although I did try at least.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 06:39
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

I guess the obvious one is 'Love Island' by ELP, but I'm also going to say 'Wind & Wuthering' by Genesis. I just could never gel with it, although I did try at least.

I can understand not liking wind, besides a couple tracks I find it somewhat dull and one dimensional at times. With that said I’d still put it miles above the first and last offerings, but if we are talking their prog era, I agree it’s the weakest.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 07:21
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Yes - Big Generator
ELP - In the Hot Seat
Eloy - Ra
ELO - Balance of Power

all reasonable choices but I think Yes Open Your Eyes is just awful Deadmuch worse than BG.---which has a few good moments.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 07:29

When did Love Beach become Love Island? Was it remastered or something? LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 07:41
I would say Union but In The Hot Seat is really, really bad too.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 07:58
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I wouldn't say I dislike The Single Factor album but I agree that it's Camel's weakest album. I really like the Stationary Traveller album though.
I'm not keen on The Single Factor and it's one of their weakest albums, but it's not bad. I think Stationary Traveller is a very strong album and, having finally bought Dust and Dreams and Harbour of Tears, I think they are both fantastic albums.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 09:26
I think Yes has quite a few stinkers in their discography, but Heaven & Earth is probably my least favourite.

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I would say Union but In The Hot Seat is really, really bad too.

I'd say both of ELP's 90s albums still fare a lot better than To The Power Of Three... ugh, that one makes Love Beach sound like Beethoven's 9th symphony if you ask me...
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 10:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

One can never underestimate how contagious hairy chests are. 
----------
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 10:06
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Yes - Big Generator
ELP - In the Hot Seat
Eloy - Ra
ELO - Balance of Power

all reasonable choices but I think Yes Open Your Eyes is just awful Deadmuch worse than BG.---which has a few good moments.

Right you are. That one was so bad I forgot it even existed!
----------
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 10:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Apologies - I've blocked it so well I can't even call it by its correct title.

Welcome to the middle of the film.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 10:53
The Civil Service...the 3rd Egg , actually is rated at 3.87...higher than the first one here at PA.
I think it's a good lp.

Regarding 'bad' prog ,,,,as many have said, Love Beach is at the top of the list.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 11:17
Tull Underwraps
Zappa The Man from Utopia and Thing-Fish
Crimson Three of a Perfect Pair
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 13:07
I think I may as well start a new thread called "Is Love Beach the Prog equivalent of Plan 9 From Outer Space?" Or maybe just design a web site to the vitriol surrounding it.

Edited by JD - January 10 2020 at 13:07
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 14:19
Jethro Tull - Warchild
Rush - Roll the Bones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>