Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will PA ever label genres by album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will PA ever label genres by album?
    Posted: January 09 2020 at 20:37
The current system where artists are put into a one size fits all label for subgenres is really misleading. The highest rated jazz rock/jazz fusion album on this site is kind of blue, and that album is neither of those. 90125 is listed as symphonic prog. Obviously it would be a huge work load, but will we ever see the day?
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 20:56
I have always said that genre should be assigned to album, not to artist

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 21:29
Not a poll.

and no.  This comes up a lot, but I believe the forum software does not allow it. I agree that it would be a preferred system to what we have, but we have what we have. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 21:30
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Agree. So many albums shouldn't even be associated with PA but because of the artist they are.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 21:54
Thought I posted this in prog lounge must have accidentally posted it in prog polls. My bad.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 00:12
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Not a poll.

and no.  This comes up a lot, but I believe the forum software does not allow it. I agree that it would be a preferred system to what we have, but we have what we have. 

They have this system implemented on our sibling site, MetalMusicArchives.com, so I doubt it's an issue with software.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 00:19
I like the PA system of assigning one genre to one artist just the way it is now. Smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 01:15
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Agree. So many albums shouldn't even be associated with PA but because of the artist they are.

Agreed.

Also, I had no idea there was a MetalArchives site. I always went to https://www.metal-archives.com/, which from what I can see is a bit more comprehensive.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 02:43
Personally, I'd always have prefered that an artiste band has multiple genre right at the top, rather than start with album tagging

For ex, Tull would be prog folk (it seems to epitomize it despite only having a minority of PF albums), but it should be also (*** shudders awith utter fright ***)  "ecclectic" , "crossover" and even heavy prog as genres

Ultimately most/all Canterbury bands and Zeuhl acts (a couple of exceptions maybe, here & there in both cases) should also belong to the JR/F, and maybe RIO/Avant (in Zeuhl's case)

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Agreed.

Also, I had no idea there was a MetalArchives site. I always went to https://www.metal-archives.com/, which from what I can see is a bit more comprehensive.

Well MMA and JMA have been built on a different generation of software where it was possible to do that, whereas this site is really too old to go in and modify its structure without risking the whole thing to crumble down (just repeating what's been said by the owners a few years back).

- Just how much work would it be to modify the software to include another column in the database's alphabetical order next to the first (supposedly main) genre to state the secondary genres (if any).
- Currently, in the Admin zone, when opening up a page for an artiste, you have a rolldown menu for the main genre, but maybe installing a second rolldown menu for subsidiary genre could (wishful thinking, maybe) be easily set up
- Would that be more risky than to go in the blueprint the album canvas page and create a rolldown menu like that we have one for the album type (studio/major, Live, Compilation, other/DVD, etc...), so setting one up for the subsidiary genre could be a solution as well (though not my preference)

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 03:26
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Not a poll.

They have this system implemented on our sibling site, MetalMusicArchives.com, so I doubt it's an issue with software.

MMA also has half stars in ratings. But from what I read before, it was built later using a different database / software, and the data from PA just can't be moved into it. It would take building back up as new.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 03:47
You've got to set up a new archive...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 05:54
Don’t wanna seem far fetched but is it in the realm of possibilities to crowd fund and hire someone who could possibly work around updating the system. I know pretty much close to nothing about if that’s even a possibility but I would be willing to contribute if so.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 06:03
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Don’t wanna seem far fetched but is it in the realm of possibilities to crowd fund and hire someone who could possibly work around updating the system. I know pretty much close to nothing about if that’s even a possibility but I would be willing to contribute if so.
Not the worst idea but good luck pitching it to M@X.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 06:07
I like the way RYM does this. The genre assignment is voted on by the users of the site at the album level. Multiple genres are permitted. The most dominant genres percolate up to the band page.

I don't think the site owner of PA is actively doing much here other than populating it with ads.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 06:09
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I like the way RYM does this. The genre assignment is voted on by the users of the site at the album level. Multiple genres are permitted. The most dominant genres percolate up to the band page.

I don't think the site owner of PA is actively doing much here other than populating it with ads.

Toxic Donald Trump and Bikini ads at that, or maybe that’s just on my end
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 06:18
^ The bikini babes are better to look at than most stuff that's hawked on the web.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 20:14
Probably not. Metal music archives does though.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 10 2020 at 20:14
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 01:13
Well admin could have plenty of 'fun' with King Crimson on this one!

I think there is an argument for time periods being a driver to where an albums belongs genre wise. For the 'classic' prog bands (1969-1977) should largely be fixed.
So I have no problem with all of KC's catalogue in that period being defined as one thing whatever that might be.
Yes would obviously stay in symphonic up until Tormato but then after that there is a lot of crossover stuff and even prog related could be used. 

However what would any of this achieve? Does anyone really want to be able filter Crossover or Prog Related Stuff into a top 100? I don't understand the point of having this option.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 11:00
Album tagging is the ideal approach to genre classification. But unless the site/domain is $pirited away from current ownership, its absolutely never going to happen.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 11:05
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Not a poll.

MMA also has half stars in ratings. But from what I read before, it was built later using a different database / software, and the data from PA just can't be moved into it. It would take building back up as new.

Any data can absolutely be ported, having seen much more extensive data on extra archaic systems plugged into upgraded platforms. But it requires will and financing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>