Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Favorite Albums from 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 00:29
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Anyway. Far too many on that list, no way can all those be of equal quality at the top of the genre they appear in. And this list does not contain IQ , The Tangent nor Hackett.. more likely the list is pacjed wirh chock average releases...

you had my scurrying around for the latest Tangent release , I loved Proxy their last album. Hopefully more to come. I guess you meant TFK?

Yes the list is just a list and nothing any more special than any other list that you , I or anyone else can put together.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 05:30
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Have you heard Transiberiana from Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso?  With only 3 listed in your RPI list I thought this one could be another suggestion.

Good suggestion.  I was unable to hear that one but will be revisiting it since they are a favorite band.  For some reason, I had a hard time getting to more of the RPI bands and didn't have enough time to dig really deep if they weren't easily accessible to stream or purchase.

That one didn't make my top 20, but to me it seemed like a solid 4-star album. It's a pretty good comeback for a group that hasn't released a new studio album since the 1990s. A couple of songs had a bit of Gentle Giant vibe to them.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 13:47
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Anyway. Far too many on that list, no way can all those be of equal quality at the top of the genre they appear in. And this list does not contain IQ , The Tangent nor Hackett.. more likely the list is pacjed wirh chock average releases...

you had my scurrying around for the latest Tangent release , I loved Proxy their last album. Hopefully more to come. I guess you meant TFK?

Yes the list is just a list and nothing any more special than any other list that you , I or anyone else can put together.

No one said the list was anything special, as I said it is all my own opinion.  I was just trying to show that there was a lot of great music out released in 2019.  No reason to get personal about it.

And one more thing.  You say its nothing any more special than any other list anyone else can put together.  The thing that is wrong with that statement is that no one else has put one together, especially one that encompasses different styles of music.  That is one major difference.  This was a work that took me the entire year to finish and I listened to and became familiar with every one of these releases.  So, no, not anyone can put a list like this together.

No one is stopping anyone else from putting a different list together.  But I challenge you to have as much variety and as many titles and artists as this one that was accumulated during the entire year, and to have heard every one of them.  Go ahead.  I'll wait.  But I won't hold my breath.

Edited by TCat - January 14 2020 at 13:55

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 14:08

And one more thing.  You say its nothing any more special than any other list anyone else can put together.  The thing that is wrong with that statement is that no one else has put one together, especially one that encompasses different styles of music.  That is one major difference.  This was a work that took me the entire year to finish and I listened to and became familiar with every one of these releases.  So, no, not anyone can put a list like this together.

No one is stopping anyone else from putting a different list together.  But I challenge you to have as much variety and as many titles and artists as this one that was accumulated during the entire year, and to have heard every one of them.  Go ahead.  I'll wait.  But I won't hold my breath.

ClapClapClap
(but, ......, you didn't include IQ!LOL)
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 14:38
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

ClapClapClap
(but, ......, you didn't include IQ!LOL)

Damn! I forgot that one . . . .NOT!   Wink

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 14:52
So many jerks on PA. I wonder if I should stop participating. 

TCat, I apprecate all you do for this site. Thanks.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - January 14 2020 at 14:52
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 18:09
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

TCat, I apprecate all you do for this site. Thanks.
No don't stop participating.  Jerks come and go no matter where you go.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 00:17
I'm a jerk that's been here since 2004 LOL

BTW when did I get personal about it. People are so precious about their opinions and their life work or whatever. I mean leave if you want , don't leave , do whatever but at the end of the day I just spout my mouth off and it means nothing or everything or does anyone really care at the end of the day...

Edited by richardh - January 15 2020 at 00:18
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 06:48

A lot of time was spent on this list. It is better than any other list anyone has put together on PA so it is special and it matters. When can we see your best of 2019 list? I posted a top five of 2019 topic, no where close to TCat's effort, but if nothing matters why discuss anything at all?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 00:32

A lot of time was spent on this list. It is better than any other list anyone has put together on PA so it is special and it matters. When can we see your best of 2019 list? I posted a top five of 2019 topic, no where close to TCat's effort, but if nothing matters why discuss anything at all?

mine is still in progress but here it is

1. Steve Hackett - At The Edge Of Light
2. IQ - Resistance
3. The Mute Gods - Atheists and Believers
4. Thieves Kitchen - Genius Loci
5. Opeth - In Cauda Venenum
6. Elephant9 - Psychedelic Backfire I
7. Iamthemorning - The Bell
8. Bent Knee - You Know What They Mean
9. IZZ - Don't Panic
10. Big Big Train - Grand Tour  
11. Thank You Scientist - Terraformer
12. Elephant9 with Reine Fiske - Psychedelic Backfire II
13. Magic Pie - Fragments Of The 5th Element
14. In Continuum - Acceleration Theory Part One: Alien A

I will add the latest Eloy album probably at Number 5 . I only heard it for the first time yesterday but I love it.
I'm still mulling over a bunch of albums that I can't decide on. I don't like the Lost Crowns album which kind of annoys me a bit as many seem to rate it very highly.

It wasn't my intention to be disrespectful to TC and if I was then I apologise. We all love prog but I do get frustrated when I see great long lists posted with little in the way of annotations or comments. This leaves me a little cold and also in my view creating a thread called The Best Albums Of 2019 is opening a dialogue and should expect to be challenged. Its like saying this is the world according to me. Clearly me and TC have different tastes and ideas about great music but that's what makes the forum so interesting and addictive.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 09:32

Aye, proxy is 2018 albeit late 2018, so it seemed to me it was a 2019 release...the TFK release is quality aye it is...
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 11:09

Another susceptible dude who'll start a thread saying that he's leaving for good then come back in two months?

or just like this guy who keeps whining ad nauseam that the people here are so f**king boring nowadays compared to the real, tough folks who were hanging around during the early days of the site...and always return.

Come on.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 11:53
Checked out a few from the list that I don't have:-

De Lorians
Thank You Scientist
The Worm Ouroboros
Helium Horse Fly
Cult Of Luna
Mercury Tree

Some good stuff there I may buy but nothing going to jump into my top 20.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 13:14
As I said, these are both 4 and 5 star reviews, many of them aren't in my top 20 list because they had to at least be 5 stars to be on that list and also have strong staying power.  Many people have said that 2019 wasn't a big year for prog, but, for someone who reviewed a lot of albums, I still only heard about 30 - 40 % of the albums released.  That's how big of a year it was. 

This list was to help show which albums I felt were the best at least from the ones I've heard.  I was hoping others would feel free to list their own albums, but unfortunately, people took the title of the thread the wrong way and decided to complain that it didn't agree with their own tastes.  I'll take the blame for that in mis-naming the thread. 

So now that that is cleared up, feel free to post your own top 20, and if you have a hard time coming up with 20, then maybe the ones that I mentioned will give you some guidance.  And maybe they won't.  But, please add some of your own Top 20 lists. 

Here's mine, at least for the time being, originally posted from the Collaborators Album of the Year Top 20 lists.
1. Consider the Source - You Are Literally a Metaphor
2. The Pneumatic Transit - Cordae Tendineae
3. Cheeto's Magazine - Amazingous
4. The Mercury Tree - Spidermilk
5. Bent Knee - You Know What They Mean
6. Fly Pan Am - C'est ça
7. Devin Townsend - Empath
8. Jambinai - ONDE
9. Emmett Elvin - The End of Music
10. Monkey3 - Sphere
11. Thank You Scientist - Terraforma
12. Lost Crowns - Every Night Something Happens
13. Helium Horsefly - Hollowed
14. A Formal Horse - Here Comes a Man from the Council with a Flamethrower
15. Izz - Don't Panic
16. Mono - Nowhere Now Here
17. On the Raw - Climbing the Air
18. Kayo Dot - Blasphemy
19. Black Bombaim - Black Bombaim with Jonathan Saldanha, Luís Fernandes & Pedro Augusto
20. Motorpsycho - The Crucible

Runners up:
21. Opeth - In Cauda Venenum
22. Karfagen - Echoes from Within Dragon Island
23. Karakorum - Fairytales and Fables
24. Dizzy Mystics - Wanderlust
25. The Wrong Object - Into the Herd
26. Hammock - Silencia
27. Pyramidial - Pyramidial
28. Umpfel - As the Waters Cover the Sea

Edited by TCat - January 16 2020 at 13:16

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 13:23

[QUOTE=Grumpyprogfan] [QUOTE=richardh]

It wasn't my intention to be disrespectful to TC and if I was then I apologise. We all love prog but I do get frustrated when I see great long lists posted with little in the way of annotations or comments. This leaves me a little cold and also in my view creating a thread called The Best Albums Of 2019 is opening a dialogue and should expect to be challenged. Its like saying this is the world according to me. Clearly me and TC have different tastes and ideas about great music but that's what makes the forum so interesting and addictive.

No worries.  I got a little defensive about the list which was only here to help others that didn't have the time to go through the many releases, and thank you for posting your list.  I take the blame for misnaming the thread, but I was hoping others would post their own "Best of" lists in this thread.  Hopefully people will feel free to do so.

Edited by TCat - January 17 2020 at 19:16

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 04:02
And to be fair..although I had never heard your number one choice...I just utubed them and was considerably impressed with a live performance...interesting three piece and another band to add to my list of stuff to explore...reminded me of liquid tension experiment...
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 20:44
My Top 110 of 2019. I would say this ranges from 5 stars down to about 3.5 stars. The 4.5 cutoff starts at #26. The 4.0 cutoff at #81. My tastes lean more towards symphonic prog, but there are some weird ones in here too. Le Grand Sbam's Vaisseau Monde is probably the most interesting album I heard this year. If it hadn't lost a little steam on the last two tracks, it would have been my #1 pick, but nonetheless is a solid 5 star album.

Other noteworthy comments:
Solaris: best album since Marsbéli Krónikák
IZZ: probably the best album of their career; loved the tribute to Jackie Robinson on 42
RPWL: I've always enjoyed this group, but would never have included them in a top 20 until now.
Quantum Fantay: following in the footsteps of the Ozrics, and maybe a bit better at this point.
Conqueror: loved the increased use of sax and flute; Simona Rigano still whips out some nice key solos
The Mercury Tree: interesting usage of microtonal tuning; lots of interesting sounds on this one; kind of has an IZZ vibe in places.
Fervent Send: interesting mix of old and newer KC influences, maybe a bit heavier.
IQ: would've made my top 10 if they had just released disc 2 alone

1. Solaris - Nostradamus 2.0: Returnity
2. Quantum Fantay - Yemaya Orisha
3. IZZ - Don't Panic
4. Conqueror - In Orbita
5. Czyszy - Epic May
6. Le Grand Sbam - Vaisseau Monde
7. Jordsjø - Nattfiolen
8. Cheeto's Magazine - Amazingous
9. Voyag3r - War Mask
10. RPWL - Tales from Outer Space
11. Moon Letters - Until They Feel the Sun
12. Aliante - Sul Confine
13. Karakorum - Fables and Fairytales
14. IQ - Resistance
15. Alber Jupiter - We Are Just Floating in Space
16. ni - Pantophobie
17. Goblin - The Devil Is Back
18. The Mercury Tree - Spidermilk
19. Richard Pinhas & Tatsuya Yoshida - Ascension
20. Finisterre - Finisterre XXV

21. habelard2 - Il dado è tratto
22. Karfagen - Echoes From Within Dragon Island
23. Los Exploradores - Inventure
24. Stratus Luna - Stratus Luna
25. Lebowski - Galactica
26. Macchina Pneumatica - Riflessi e Maschere
27. Big Big Train - Grand Tour
28. The Far Meadow - Foreign Land
29. Infringement - Alienism
30. Fervent Send [Mendez/Du Bose/Robinson] - Obliterate the Moon
31. Ed Wynne - Shimmer Into Nature
32. Thirteen of Everything - Our Own Sad Fate
33. The Psychedelic Ensemble - Mother's Rhymes
34. Emme Phyzema - Dispelling Differences
35. Kornmo - Vandring
36. Kitschy - Cupcake
37. Maybe - Maybe [the Argentinian group]
38. Crayon Phase - Two Hundred Pages
39. United Progressive Fraternity - Planetary Overload Part 1: Loss
40. Atomic Time - Out of the Loop
41. PoiL - Sus
42. Shamall - Schizophrenia
43. Pattern-Seeking Animals - Pattern-Seeking Animals
44. Sezione Frenante - Nuove Dimensioni
45. Tilion - Suite Ritrovate
46. Emme Phyzema - Emme Phyzema
47. Millenium - The Web
48. 35 Tapes - Lost & Found
49. October Equus - Presagios
50. Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Transiberiana
51. Time Shift Accident - Chronothesia
52. Retrospective - Latent Avidity
53. Herd of Instinct - Incantation
54. La Batteria - La Batteria II
55. Hasse Fröberg and the Musical Companion - Parallel Life
56. Huis - Abandoned
57. The Emerald Dawn - Nocturne
58. Brighteye Brison - V
59. Tompox - Reincarnation
60. Eris Pluvia - Tales from Another Time
61. ESP - The Rising
62. In Continuum - Acceleration Theory, Part One: AlienA
63. habelard2 - Sgnautz!
64. Yôkaï - Yôkaï
65. The Neal Morse Band - The Great Adventure
66. Isildurs Band & Peter Hammill - In Amazonia
67. Professor Tip Top - Hybrid Hymns
68. The Flower Kings - Waiting for Miracles
69. InVertigo - InMotion
70. Supersister - Retsis Repus
71. Eloy - The Vision, The Sword and the Pyre, Part II
72. Alberto Rigoni - Prog Injection
73. Arcadelt - Arc8
74. Eveline's Dust - k.
75. Opeth - In Cauda Venenum
76. Cirrus Bay - The Art of Vanishing
77. The Claypool Lennon Delirium - South of Reality
78. Kadath - Noises Out of Space
79. Galaad - Frat3R
80. The Pneumatic Transit - Chordae Tendineae
81. Voyager IV - Pictures at an Exhibition
82. Lee Abraham - Comatose
83. The Bob Lazar Story - Vanquisher
84. Paolo Siani - The Leprechaun's Pot of Gold
85. Introitus - Shadows
86. Raptor Konrad - Sonatinas and Sonnets
87. Gong - The Universe Also Collapses
88. Modern-Rock Ensemble - Night Dreams & Wishes
89. Smash the Crash - PL Lady
90. Clepsydra - The Gap
91. Imagin'aria - Exeligere
92. Jordan Rudess - Wired for Madness
93. Barock Project - Seven Seas
94. Latte e Miele - Paganini Experience
95. Earthkind - Windswept
96. Ex-Libris - Elysse
97. Sfaratthons - Appunti di Viaggio
98. Grand Tour - Clocks That Tick (But Never Talk)
99. Duncan Mackay - Kintsugi
100. This Machine - A Tower of Clocks
101. Thieves' Kitchen - Genius Loci
102. Eiemel - Eiemel
103. Jambinai - Onda
104. Monkey3 - Sphere
105. Warmrain - Back Above the Clouds [not on Prog Archives]
106. Bent Knee - You Know What They Mean
107. Cellar Noise - Nautilus
108. Steve Hackett - At the Edge of Light
109. Yogi Lang - A Way Out of Here
110. Bjørn Riis - A Storm Is Coming
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 13:13
2019 was a magnificent year in Prog, IMO. 

Let me explain:

The number of prog releases reduced compared to the previous at least 5 year, but relatively the number of top albums increased, as less than every 10th album was no less than GREAT, IMO!!

I'm not going to reveal the entire list, but this is a surprise in my top 5: a DANISH release Shocked

enrico.rennella View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote enrico.rennella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 15:11

Here my current top 5 of 2019 prog releases:

On the Raw - Climbing the Air 

Emme Phyzema - Dispelling Differences

October Equus - Presagios

The Pneumatic Transit - Chordae Tendineae

Sales de Baño - Geometría del vínculo

Here a longer list, including non-prog stuff: https://sites.google.com/view/e2019r/p%C3%A1gina-principal

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 06:45

Here's mine, at least for the time being, originally posted from the Collaborators Album of the Year Top 20 lists.
1. Consider the Source - You Are Literally a Metaphor
2. The Pneumatic Transit - Cordae Tendineae
3. Cheeto's Magazine - Amazingous
4. The Mercury Tree - Spidermilk
5. Bent Knee - You Know What They Mean
6. Fly Pan Am - C'est ça
7. Devin Townsend - Empath
8. Jambinai - ONDE
9. Emmett Elvin - The End of Music
10. Monkey3 - Sphere
11. Thank You Scientist - Terraforma
12. Lost Crowns - Every Night Something Happens
13. Helium Horsefly - Hollowed
14. A Formal Horse - Here Comes a Man from the Council with a Flamethrower
15. Izz - Don't Panic
16. Mono - Nowhere Now Here
17. On the Raw - Climbing the Air
18. Kayo Dot - Blasphemy
19. Black Bombaim - Black Bombaim with Jonathan Saldanha, Luís Fernandes & Pedro Augusto
20. Motorpsycho - The Crucible

Excellent selections.

I have 7 of your top 20 albums in my 2019 PA Collaborators Album of the Year list and 3 of the albums as runners up. 

Nice to meet someone with much the same great taste as myself LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>