Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Favorite Albums from 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 09:12
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Here's mine, at least for the time being, originally posted from the Collaborators Album of the Year Top 20 lists.
1. Consider the Source - You Are Literally a Metaphor
2. The Pneumatic Transit - Cordae Tendineae
3. Cheeto's Magazine - Amazingous
4. The Mercury Tree - Spidermilk
5. Bent Knee - You Know What They Mean
6. Fly Pan Am - C'est įa
7. Devin Townsend - Empath
8. Jambinai - ONDE
9. Emmett Elvin - The End of Music
10. Monkey3 - Sphere
11. Thank You Scientist - Terraforma
12. Lost Crowns - Every Night Something Happens
13. Helium Horsefly - Hollowed
14. A Formal Horse - Here Comes a Man from the Council with a Flamethrower
15. Izz - Don't Panic
16. Mono - Nowhere Now Here
17. On the Raw - Climbing the Air
18. Kayo Dot - Blasphemy
19. Black Bombaim - Black Bombaim with Jonathan Saldanha, Luís Fernandes & Pedro Augusto
20. Motorpsycho - The Crucible

Excellent selections.

I have 7 of your top 20 albums in my 2019 PA Collaborators Album of the Year list and 3 of the albums as runners up. 

Nice to meet someone with much the same great taste as myself LOL

When people venture beyond what they know, they usually end up discovering something better.  There was a lot of great music out there last year that many people will never hear.

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 13:51
^I listen to 300-350 new prog releases every yeah and I'm rewarded with 15-30 excellent releases (albums that receive 9 out of 10 stars in my book).

This is where PA's yearly top albums list comes to aid: provided by a minority to help the majority that cannot invest the time required to sort through the new releases.

Considering the number of yearly releases, it is striking how well my own votes fit other collaborators' top albums. Surprisingly, we often list bands that are unknown to most (non-collaborators). This year, these bands appear to be (at least in my view) Consider The Source, The Mercury Tree, JAMBINAI, Emmett Elvin, Monkey3 and Lost Crowns. (I'm not mentioning bands like Cheeto's Magazine that have been detected by my radar years ago but remain unknown to most.)

Over the years I have reached the conclusion that the PA Collaborators' Top Albums Poll really is the definitive/best bet on the year's best prog albums which is reassuring for those who do not contribute to the voting. 

Edited by earlyprog - January 21 2020 at 14:03
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 15:08
Thank You Scientist - Terraformer
Marco Minnemann - My Sister
The Psychedelic Ensemble - Mother's Rhymes
Thieves' Kitchen - Genius Loci
Richard Henshall - The Cocoon
Body Hound - No Moon
Lonely Robot - Under Stars
Chick Corea - Trilogy 2
Izz - Don't Panic
Dewa Budjana - Mahandini
Allan Holdsworth - Warsaw Summer Jazz Days '98
Morglbl - The Story of Scott Rotti
Virgil Donati - Ruination
Antoine Fafard - Borromean Odyssey
The Claypool Lennon Delirum - South of Reality
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time
Big Big Train - Reflectors of Light    (blu ray)

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 15:37
Sorry, I haven't heard any albums from 2019. I've been busy listening to classic prog albums from the late 1960's and early 1970's. I just bought Peter Bardens' first psychedelic album today: "The Answer" (1969)
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 15:39
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Sorry, I haven't heard any albums from 2019. I've been busy listening to classic prog albums from the late 1960's and early 1970's. I just bought Peter Bardens' first psychedelic album today: "The Answer" (1969)
Bummer
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:17

I know its not always possible to get a chance to hear everything, but it is pretty cool how you are at least reviewing a lot of unheard of bands from that era. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:54
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I know its not always possible to get a chance to hear everything, but it is pretty cool how you are at least reviewing a lot of unheard of bands from that era. 

Thanks! I never would have heard Peter Bardens superb first album if it wasn't for reviewing it recently on ProgArchives.

I could listen to a lot more albums if I just gave them a rating instead of a full review, but then it wouldn't be nearly so much fun. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:57
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Bummer

I'm currently stuck in a proggy 1970's Back to the Future-style time-warp, but I'm not complaining. Smile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 22:03

Bummer

I'm currently stuck in a proggy 1970's Back to the Future-style time-warp, but I'm not complaining. Smile
And that you have absolutely right to do without no-one right to complaining about it!! I also listen mostly 60-70 stuff, there are just so much great stuff and although I think few great albums came last year, you donīt really lose anything if donīt hear them! I am not reviewing much, but I just want to review something that has never reviewed, I donīt see any reason to make CC review of Court. Of course if there is just few reviews and I disagree with them, I can make review.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 22:52
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Bummer

And that you have absolutely right to do without no-one right to complaining about it!! I also listen mostly 60-70 stuff, there are just so much great stuff and although I think few great albums came last year, you donīt really lose anything if donīt hear them! I am not reviewing much, but I just want to review something that has never reviewed, I donīt see any reason to make CC review of Court. Of course if there is just few reviews and I disagree with them, I can make review.

I managed to find a 1970's album on here recently that no one had previously reviewed and it's a very good album too: "The Butterfly Ball" by Roger Glover (of Deep Purple).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 00:07

Bummer

I managed to find a 1970's album on here recently that no one had previously reviewed and it's a very good album too: "The Butterfly Ball" by Roger Glover (of Deep Purple).

I remember that song being played on early Saturday morning radio back in he seventies along with things like Excerpt From A Teenage Opera ( Keith West) and The Laughing Gnome ( Bowie) LOL . Is the album any good?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 01:28
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Bummer

I remember that song being played on early Saturday morning radio back in he seventies along with things like Excerpt From A Teenage Opera ( Keith West) and The Laughing Gnome ( Bowie) LOL . Is the album any good?
Yes, The Butterfly Ball is a good solid four-star album and I've had the CD in my collection for a couple of years. The only reason I didn't give the album a full five-star rating is because it's not in the remotest bit proggy. It's more of an all-round good Pop/Rock album. Smile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 01:52

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Bummer

Yes, The Butterfly Ball is a good solid four-star album and I've had the CD in my collection for a couple of years. The only reason I didn't give the album a full five-star rating is because it's not in the remotest bit proggy. It's more of an all-round good Pop/Rock album. Smile
What I read about your review it doesnīt sound very interesting to me. Mostly the solo works of great bands players havenīt been interesting to me, but of course there are exceptions (for example Jukka Gustavson & Pekka Pohjola, also McDonald & Giles album is just great!) But anyway I think there are albums in progarchives with no reviews, I am going to review all U S Maple albums (there are not even ratings in them). Also going to add some Pekka Airaksinenīs albums and review them.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 02:04
sorry to be a jerk, but can you get back on topic?
why discuss 70s music here?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 02:12
^Because itīs so great!! I want to discuss it everywhere!!Smile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 02:13
Also, I have already said everything from the year 2019.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 02:15
...except that I quite like Opethīs new album, third time listening it sounded lot better than second!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 02:19

...except that I quite like Opethīs new album, third time listening it sounded lot better than second!

I listened to it twice LOL, does not make go back to it, though.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 09:00
1. Dream Theater - Distance Over Time
2. Soen - Lotus
3. Steve Hackett - At the Edge of Light
4. Neal Morse Band - The Great Adventure
5. IQ - Resistance
6. Flying Colors - Third Degree
7. Tool - Fear Innoculum
9. Magma - Zess
10. Focus - Focus 11
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 09:31
I worked my way through all albums on the list in the original post that seemed interesting to me, and De Lorians, Louis de Mieulle, Rascal Reporters, Bob Drake and October Equus were all great recommendations. Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>