Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Neil Peart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 17:02
A legend. RIP. Cry
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 17:13
I'm beyond heartbroken 😭😭😭😭💔💔
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 17:16
Had the most weird experience today--was at gym this afternoon and for the first time in months was playing my Rush playlist---when a CNN news alert popped up on my phone with this sad news. Another legendary player dies. Very sad. RIP Neil.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 17:23
Damn shame.  Cancer sucks, RIP Neil.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
fronobulax View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fronobulax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 17:31
As a proud Canadian, I am sitting here listening to "A Farewell to Kings" on the vinyl I bought in 75, in stunned shock at the passing of Neil Peart. 
 If you read this, please post your favourite Neil memory, feeling, drum break, etc... 
 A legend, and an era, have passed. 

"Natural Science"
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array
A pattern so grand and complex
Time after time we lose sight of the way
Our causes can't see their effects

RIP Neil
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 17:33
Very sad news.  I hadn't heard about his illness. 

Shocked and saddened
Songs cast a light on you
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 17:33
Oh that's so sad, and a huge loss.

Go well, Neil, and play like an angel.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 17:50
Broken Heart
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Prog&Math View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog&Math Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:02
I just registered to ProgArchives after 7 years of surfing just to grieve Neil's passing away. When I heard the news and thought of meaningful lyrics from Neil, I thought the same ones that fronobulax posted. The other ones I thought about followed me all my teen years: 

you can't have, something for nothing
you can't have, freedom for free
you won't get wise with the sleep still in your eyes
no matter what your dreams might be. 

RIP Neil Peart

Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:18
I will forever love you for the joy you have brought me and the inspiration, If there are angels in Heaven I'm sure you will be one of them.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:22
I just cannot believe he is gone.....playing his music and reading his lyrics just is not going to do it right now. This is going to take a long time to soak in.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:26
Devastating news.  Another one of my musical heroes gone much too soon.  Sadly, it was exactly four years ago today that I learned of the departure of another musical hero of mine (Bowie).  At least I was fortunate enough to see Rush live several times.  There is no drummer out there who matched his ability.  And few could touch him as far as lyrics go either.  Rest in Peace sir and thank you for all the great music. 

Edited by The Doctor - January 10 2020 at 18:27
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:26
RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:30
RIP to one of the best drummers and lyricists of all time.  Its a sad day for us all.  Neil Peart will be sorely missed, but if there is a great rock band in the sky, they have only gotten eternally better with his passing.  We love you Neil!

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:31
He has passed far too soon. He shall be missed by many.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:39
I was in the grocery store when I heard it over the speakers.  I just about broke down in the aisle, but then they played some Rush and I felt better.  They announced it on CNN also.  His influence is everywhere even if he is gone.  We'll miss you Neil!

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:53
A bad week just got worse.
RIP Professor. You will be sorely missed. :-(
Welcome to the middle of the film.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 19:28
In memory of Neil Peart.

"Circumstances, lost in circumstances.
The points and the lines in convergence.
It makes us what we are.
A teller of tales, the wind in the sails.
His pen as his sword, the power of word.
The man within the star".

With love from me and my household.

Thank you Neil.

Exit stage left and perhaps enter another one to dream a new dream altogether.
Let us cheers him.
Who is with me?

"Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself" - Sartre
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 19:47
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I just cannot believe he is gone.....playing his music and reading his lyrics just is not going to do it right now. This is going to take a long time to soak in.

I just recently ordered online and received counterparts, test for echo and vapor trails remixed(those were the ones I was least familiar with and wanted to get them again) and was just listening to them only a few days ago. However, after hearing this sad news it might be some time before I am able to listen to Rush again. That's how it was for me with Yes music when Chris Squire passed away and I see this as no different. This is going to be tough for me. Rush is probably my second favorite band(next to that other one word band(hint: the one I just mentioned two sentences ago). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 10 2020 at 20:08
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 20:00
RIP.  It's a shock.  Will take a while to process.  Then again, have been getting used to the idea, lately, that my favourite musicians from the 60s and 70s are going to have to go one day.  Since the time I got into rock: Gary Moore, Richard Wright, Ronnie James Dio, Aretha Franklin, it's a long list.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>