Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Neil Peart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 10:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

In case you've forgotten, this is a RIP thread - meaning someone (who happened to be a husband and father, among other things) died, and well before his time. I believe you can discuss what Rush would have done with a different drummer in another thread. Same goes for stating that you didn't like his style or his music. There is a time and a place for everything.

So why can't an RIP thread also be a tribute to someone's greatness? My way of expressing our collective loss is by reminding the community that a band like Rush was made great by Mr Neil Peart. In other words it's an expression of extreme gratitude that he joined the band and steered them into the beautiful music that they created. I agree that we shouldn't dwell on those thing here but a comment or two is worthy me thinks Wink
I think that AFlowerKingCrimson's (what a name! Confused) post came off as sounding like Neil wasn't that important to the group and I'm sure that's not what he meant, but we reacted to it instead of just praising the man. If that's what raff objected to than I think she's right. We can debate elsewhere.

Nope. Not my intention at all. Just that the actual melodies and song structures(ie the music)wouldn't necessarily be that different since he didn't write the actual music(I don't count lyrics as music). However, Neil most certainly was very important in their development and I'm sure they wouldn't have been as big without him. Anyway, I made my point and really don't have anything else to say on the matter. Wink

As for my username(and I'm not sure why you did the confused face)it's a combination of three references. If you can figure out all three send me a pm(instead of here since we don't want to clog up this thread) and I'll congratulate you(no actual prize though. Lol.). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 13 2020 at 21:04
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 12:47
OK, let's keep this thread as intended, namely Neil Peart worship! I can personally say that Rush was the perfect gateway drug to more progressive music being a metalhead and all. 2112 FOREVER!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 13:19

Very "happy" to see this on top of ProgArchives Forum!

Cry Cry Clap Clap

I also leave it here for when it had gone away.

Perhaps also on the main page...

Edited by Machinemessiah - January 13 2020 at 13:20
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 13:21
^ I don't even think Keith Emerson got a top of the page tribute.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 13:26
^ Agree he definitely should.. as I imagine many others too  Thumbs Up

I think I was not around at the time, though Keith's was very hard on me too. Such a genius.

Edited by Machinemessiah - January 13 2020 at 13:27
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 13:40
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I don't think anyone had the idea to mess around with the banner before, but I'm a Rush fan and it was a spontaneous thing that I came up with and it turned out to be a lot easier than I thought to set up on the admin side of things, only once I actually explored all the workings. I would hope that in the future we might be using it for happier occasions, but I don't think that's in the cards for obvious reasons. Will keep it in mind to use it for proper tributes from now on though.

Edited by historian9 - January 13 2020 at 13:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 13:54
Originally posted by historian9 historian9 wrote:

I don't think anyone had the idea to mess around with the banner before, but I'm a Rush fan and it was a spontaneous thing that I came up with and it turned out to be a lot easier than I thought to set up on the admin side of things, only once I actually explored all the workings. I would hope that in the future we might be using it for happier occasions, but I don't think that's in the cards for obvious reasons. Will keep it in mind to use it for proper tributes from now on though.
Very grateful on my part man, Handshake  it's beautiful!  Thumbs Up

Edited by Machinemessiah - January 14 2020 at 06:00
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 19:38
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Logged in after a few months offline because of this. Absolutely gutted to see this news. Rush hasn't been on my listen list for a little while, but I'll be sure to spin the whole discography this weekend. The influence that man had on this genre is immeasurable... a legend was lost yesterday. 

Good to see you posting again.......
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 20:57
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I don't think Squire, Lake or Wetton did either.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 03:21
Just checked my personal Diary for 1979 - I only saw Rush once - Sunday April 29th - Manchester Apollo.
I was just shy of my 14th birthday,  I loved the gig - but I would appreciate it more NOW!!! However, I was impressed by the sheer power (yet melodic) showing from all three fabulous musicians, Like being lamped over the head with an anvil wrapped in a persian rug....
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 04:10
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

As for my username(and I'm not sure why you did the confused face)it's a combination of three references.
Three references? it must be the new math.

Back to Neil. I think that Neil gets a bit of special treatment because prog fans, even the ones who don't like Rush or are just luke warm to them, know of Peart's personal struggles with his first wife and child both passing away so young, and his determination to move forward as a tribute both to the fans and his band mates. And that's aside from rehabilitating himself and maintaining his drive to be one of the best drummers in rock.

It's also quite sad that he couldn't retire and enjoy the rest of his life with his new family. So, there's a lot of sentimental feelings attached to his passing. And Neil just looked a very humble dude that was very uncomfortable with his accolades. A lot to take in with his sad passing.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 04:20
He was always someone who took good care of himself mentally and physically, which alongside his humble nature, his intellect and obvious considerable talent as a musician and writer, make his untimely passing ever more depressing IMO. He was not a 'walk on the wild side' rocker. He wasn't a drug and booze gannet like those idiots in the Rolling Stones, who still haul their semi talented carcasses out on tour periodically (not that I wish ill health on them). He was just a decent guy with an extraordinary gift.

He deserved a long and fulfilling life, and a peaceful healthy retirement. He was robbed of the latter by the cruel lottery of cancer.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 05:58
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

He was always someone who took good care of himself mentally and physically, which alongside his humble nature, his intellect and obvious considerable talent as a musician and writer, make his untimely passing ever more depressing IMO. He was not a 'walk on the wild side' rocker. He wasn't a drug and booze gannet like those idiots in the Rolling Stones, who still haul their semi talented carcasses out on tour periodically (not that I wish ill health on them). He was just a decent guy with an extraordinary gift.

He deserved a long and fulfilling life, and a peaceful healthy retirement. He was robbed of the latter by the cruel lottery of cancer.
Amen to that.

Something similar happened to me with K. Emerson, aforementioned, it kept me very low and depressed at the time. So genial and delicate souls.. so unfair.

Edited by Machinemessiah - January 14 2020 at 06:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 06:21
Originally posted by Machinemessiah Machinemessiah wrote:

Originally posted by historian9 historian9 wrote:

Very grateful on my part man, Handshake  it's beautiful!  Thumbs Up

I think a picture of N. Peart would not be a bad idea either.. (be it for now or onward).

I stumbled upon this tweet from Jack DeJohnette on Neil:

Edited by Machinemessiah - January 14 2020 at 12:20
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 08:00

This actually affected me, in a way I never thought the death of someone I didn't know, could.

I spent all day Saturday - after hearing the news - and Sunday morning, in London with my girlfriend. We'd seen a show and done some sight seeing, and we'd both been looking forward to it for a while. But, I actually struggled to park this bad news about Neil Peart to one side for the duration. In recent years, we've seen Chris Squire, Lemmy, Bowie, Emerson and Lake among others pass away, and although I'm always saddened by these things, the passing of a Rush member is quite a big deal for me. Rush were the band that really got me into prog rock. The first band I obsessed over and Neil himself a true inspiration to me as a drummer.

For two nights running now, I've heard Rush songs playing in my dreams (or rather dreamy variations on them) Last night it was fragments of Ghost of a Chance, and the night before, Subdivisions.

A very sad day for rock music. An absolute tragedy for Neil's family, and for Lee and Lifeson. RIP NP.

I usually don't get terribly affected by the passing of celebrities, but this hit me way harder than I expected.  This was the music of my adolescence.

Rest in peace, Neil.  Thank you for everything.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 08:54
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

This actually affected me, in a way I never thought the death of someone I didn't know, could.

I spent all day Saturday - after hearing the news - and Sunday morning, in London with my girlfriend. We'd seen a show and done some sight seeing, and we'd both been looking forward to it for a while. But, I actually struggled to park this bad news about Neil Peart to one side for the duration. In recent years, we've seen Chris Squire, Lemmy, Bowie, Emerson and Lake among others pass away, and although I'm always saddened by these things, the passing of a Rush member is quite a big deal for me. Rush were the band that really got me into prog rock. The first band I obsessed over and Neil himself a true inspiration to me as a drummer.

For two nights running now, I've heard Rush songs playing in my dreams (or rather dreamy variations on them) Last night it was fragments of Ghost of a Chance, and the night before, Subdivisions.

A very sad day for rock music. An absolute tragedy for Neil's family, and for Lee and Lifeson. RIP NP.

I usually don't get terribly affected by the passing of celebrities, but this hit me way harder than I expected.  This was the music of my adolescence.

Rest in peace, Neil.  Thank you for everything.

Absolutely. Me too. They were 'my band'

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 12:25
I don't usually chime in anymore- but I had to come back here for obvious reasons. Neil is my favorite person in music forever. You will be missed! 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 13:27

I spUn 2112 this morning for the first time in years. It goes without saying that without Peart, Rush would've simply just been another Foghat

Actually, I disagree with that. After Rutsey left Geddy and Alex would have gone in a different and more progressive direction anyway and so would have ended up with a prog sound even without Neil. Neil was just the catalyst to help them achieve their musical goals much faster(imo).

Now how do you know that? My guess they would've jumped on  the commercial bandwagon. While we'll never know for sure, i'd bet that whatever would've happened that it would have been inferior to what Rush accomplished with Peart on the team.

I know that because I have heard interviews with Geddy and read online (and in a Rush biography)that he and Alex were big into prog rock(yes before Rutsey left). In fact one reason John Rutsey left is because he was disinterested in the direction they were going in(his diabetes was also a big factor but not the only one). It's pretty well documented that Rush were heading in a more progressive direction before Rutsey left. Peart didn't really have much to do with the music so it's not like he had much of an influence on that anyway other than the lyrics.

Inferior maybe but it's folly to assume they would have sounded like Bad Company or Foghat just because they didn't have Neil. In fact it's highly unlikely the music itself would have been that different since like I said Alex and Geddy wrote the actual music(just probably with inferior drumming and lyrics. ;) ).

Nobody knows what would have happened. People can speculate. But I don't think they would have enjoyed the same range of success without Neil. Plus, Rush also evolved stylistically, they rode the wave. Saga moved at a nice clip till they down-shifted into full-on pop with Behaviour and Wildest Dreams (an album that saw the loss of two key members). Rush kept going. 

Triumph enjoyed many years of great, if not universal, success. But they were the opposite of Rush in that in-fighting led to their demise. Rik left after their worst album, Surveillance. Gil and Mike gave it one more go with a different lead guitarist (Phil X) before calling it a day. Rush kept going. 

Max Webster couldn't break the States and they ended. Rush kept going. 

Loverboy? Right. Rush kept going.

Wihout Neil, there's no telling who they would have gotten. If Terry Bozzio had left Zappa's band and joined them, the results would have been interesting. (See: Danger Money.) 

But the lyrics of Rush are what set them apart from most other rock bands. There really aren't that many bands that boast songs with genuinely intriguing lyrics — at least not the kind that translate properly to songs. There's only one Ian Anderson. Twelfth Night were blessed with the lyrical genius of Geoff Mann (RIP). Blue Oyster Cult gets bashed plenty ("nostalgia act!"), but lyrics are not a weakness with them. The same for Kansas. Jon Anderson's whimsical word puzzles draw equal parts admiration and laughter. Personally, I like them.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 11:52
A week after Neil's passing was announced, here is an excellent and detailed tribute from the Tor.com website: https://www.tor.com/2020/01/17/in-memory-of-neil-peart-fantasy-science-fiction-and-the-mystic-rhythms-of-rush/#more-541218
Skywatcher72 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skywatcher72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 12:00
Still hurts so bad  - for me he was the simply the best drummer of all time, because he elevated the drums to an essential part of the composition of the music.  Not simply a clock by which the others kept time.

Watching endless videos of him talking about his kit and the way he set things up. the thought he put into every stroke every cymbal crash - he genuinely saw it as writing poetry with his drumbeats .

Yes people will write of his eloquence with his lyrics but for me he was most eloquent through his astonishing percussive composition. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>