Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Neil Peart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 10:54
Logged in after a few months offline because of this. Absolutely gutted to see this news. Rush hasn't been on my listen list for a little while, but I'll be sure to spin the whole discography this weekend. The influence that man had on this genre is immeasurable... a legend was lost yesterday. 
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 11:24
Immensely saddened by the news of the passing of Neil Elwood Peart.
Rest In Peace.
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 11:59
Just saw this......RIP Mr Peart, and condolences to his family.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 12:00
He was technically brilliant but for several reasons not my cup of tea. R.I.P.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 13:02
I spUn 2112 this morning for the first time in years. It goes without saying that without Peart, Rush would've simply just been another Foghat

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 13:10
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I spUn 2112 this morning for the first time in years. It goes without saying that without Peart, Rush would've simply just been another Foghat

Actually, I disagree with that. After Rutsey left Geddy and Alex would have gone in a different and more progressive direction anyway and so would have ended up with a prog sound even without Neil. Neil was just the catalyst to help them achieve their musical goals much faster(imo).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 11 2020 at 13:12
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 13:14
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

RIP another prog legend gone far, far too soon!

I imagine he and Chris Squire are putting together a record we've never had the Earthly pleasure of hearing.

My favourite bass player and my favourite drummer. Could have been great indeed (though I think that Geddy Lee was strongly influenced by Squire's bass playing). When I read the news, I had to think of Chris Squire as well: both lived to the same age: Neil Peart lived only two days longer than Chris Squire.

Edited by someone_else - January 11 2020 at 13:15
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 16:27
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

RIP another prog legend gone far, far too soon!

I imagine he and Chris Squire are putting together a record we've never had the Earthly pleasure of hearing.

Hell yeah haha Big smile
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 19:52
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 08:31
Neil Peart himself on his tenderest memories growing up in Ontario:

(better use the browser's reading mode).

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/19940624stcatharinesstandard.htm

Having myself grown up in the 80-90's, I marvel at how it was to grow up in the 50-60's, and I've always have it deeply connected with progressive rock and other awesome things that came in the 70's.

Rest in peace Neil P.

Edited by Machinemessiah - January 12 2020 at 09:43
symphonicman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote symphonicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 14:48
Rest in peace. Cry
Master James of St. George.
Of the fields and the sky.
He used to build castles of stone, steel, and blood.
But lines get broken down.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 00:40
This actually affected me, in a way I never thought the death of someone I didn't know, could.

I spent all day Saturday - after hearing the news - and Sunday morning, in London with my girlfriend. We'd seen a show and done some sight seeing, and we'd both been looking forward to it for a while. But, I actually struggled to park this bad news about Neil Peart to one side for the duration. In recent years, we've seen Chris Squire, Lemmy, Bowie, Emerson and Lake among others pass away, and although I'm always saddened by these things, the passing of a Rush member is quite a big deal for me. Rush were the band that really got me into prog rock. The first band I obsessed over and Neil himself a true inspiration to me as a drummer.

For two nights running now, I've heard Rush songs playing in my dreams (or rather dreamy variations on them) Last night it was fragments of Ghost of a Chance, and the night before, Subdivisions.

A very sad day for rock music. An absolute tragedy for Neil's family, and for Lee and Lifeson. RIP NP.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 04:16
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Actually, I disagree with that. After Rutsey left Geddy and Alex would have gone in a different and more progressive direction anyway and so would have ended up with a prog sound even without Neil. Neil was just the catalyst to help them achieve their musical goals much faster(imo).
I'm afraid that Rush without Peart would have been spelled with a lower case r.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 07:03

Now how do you know that? My guess they would've jumped on  the commercial bandwagon. While we'll never know for sure, i'd bet that whatever would've happened that it would have been inferior to what Rush accomplished with Peart on the team.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 07:35
In case you've forgotten, this is a RIP thread - meaning someone (who happened to be a husband and father, among other things) died, and well before his time. I believe you can discuss what Rush would have done with a different drummer in another thread. Same goes for stating that you didn't like his style or his music. There is a time and a place for everything.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 07:44
^ Right on raff. You must keep micky well balanced. Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 08:52
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

In case you've forgotten, this is a RIP thread - meaning someone (who happened to be a husband and father, among other things) died, and well before his time. I believe you can discuss what Rush would have done with a different drummer in another thread. Same goes for stating that you didn't like his style or his music. There is a time and a place for everything.

So why can't an RIP thread also be a tribute to someone's greatness? My way of expressing our collective loss is by reminding the community that a band like Rush was made great by Mr Neil Peart. In other words it's an expression of extreme gratitude that he joined the band and steered them into the beautiful music that they created. I agree that we shouldn't dwell on those thing here but a comment or two is worthy me thinks Wink

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 09:38

Now how do you know that? My guess they would've jumped on  the commercial bandwagon. While we'll never know for sure, i'd bet that whatever would've happened that it would have been inferior to what Rush accomplished with Peart on the team.

The only thing we know for sure is that without Peart, Rush would have not been the Rush we know now, and that in an of itself is quite a major statement.  Peart was more than one third of the band.  Not only was he the drummer, but the main lyricist.  A lesser lyricist would have not required such complex music to express his words.  So, yes, Rush probably would have been inferior to the Rush we know.  Peart will be missed.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 10:32

I know that because I have heard interviews with Geddy and read online (and in a Rush biography)that he and Alex were big into prog rock(yes before Rutsey left). In fact one reason John Rutsey left is because he was disinterested in the direction they were going in(his diabetes was also a big factor but not the only one). It's pretty well documented that Rush were heading in a more progressive direction before Rutsey left. Peart didn't really have much to do with the music so it's not like he had much of an influence on that anyway other than the lyrics.

Inferior maybe but it's folly to assume they would have sounded like Bad Company or Foghat just because they didn't have Neil. In fact it's highly unlikely the music itself would have been that different since like I said Alex and Geddy wrote the actual music(just probably with inferior drumming and lyrics. ;) ).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 13 2020 at 10:35
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 10:34

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

So why can't an RIP thread also be a tribute to someone's greatness? My way of expressing our collective loss is by reminding the community that a band like Rush was made great by Mr Neil Peart. In other words it's an expression of extreme gratitude that he joined the band and steered them into the beautiful music that they created. I agree that we shouldn't dwell on those thing here but a comment or two is worthy me thinks Wink
I think that AFlowerKingCrimson's (what a name! Confused) post came off as sounding like Neil wasn't that important to the group and I'm sure that's not what he meant, but we reacted to it instead of just praising the man. If that's what raff objected to than I think she's right. We can debate elsewhere.

Edited by SteveG - January 13 2020 at 10:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>