Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prime Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which studio Rush album do you think is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [9.84%]
10 [16.39%]
23 [37.70%]
5 [8.20%]
14 [22.95%]
1 [1.64%]
2 [3.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 09:40
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Not a Rush fan here but the death of Neil Peart made me listen to some Rush. Still can't stand the voice of Geddy Lee, but instrumentally they are very tight and impressive. To make up for his voice, I love Lee's bass playing. Had they done far more instrumentals, I'd have got into them probably. Vote Moving Pictures on the strength of YYZ (also the singing becomes somewhat better later in time).   

No offense to you personally but anyone who doesn't like Geddy Lee's voice should stay away from anything with Jon Anderson on it and vice versa. It wouldn't make sense to me if someone loves the voice of one of them but hates the other. If you can tolerate Jon you can tolerate Geddy. So I can only assume you don't like Yes for a similar reason(ie the vocals).

Very wrong. I like Jon a lot as a singer. He just sounds far more relaxed and confident about what he's doing to me. Of course this is all subjective, but surely there is a clear difference between them, and whether it's small or big, it can make all the difference - as it does to me. Appreciation generally doesn't work like this: "X is similar to Y whom I like => I like X, too".

That's very surprising to me. Then again I'm sure it works the other way too. There are those who like Geddy Lee but can't stand Jon. I personally don't get it but we all hear what we hear. 

When you said I was very wrong I wasn't offended. It just made me think of that early Genesis song(am I very wrong?). Lol.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 09:46
A Farewell to Kings 

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 09:48
@AFlowerKingCrimson: Well you made a factual statement about me which was in fact very wrong, so why would you be offended by me pointing that out? Good anyway that you weren't. By the way let me add that I find myself more often in controversy with you than with many others on this forum, but I actually appreciate that you say a lot that can get people into some proper controversial exchange. Thumbs Up

Edited by Lewian - January 14 2020 at 09:49
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 10:52
^ not his fault, man, he's from Philly.

More seriously, he often argue for the sake of arguing which can be quite irritating at times but he don't seem like a stubborn dude and at least he have a sense of humour (a quality that many are lacking here).

Geddy's voice? Disliked it very much at first but quickly warmed up to it (a month or so). Jon' voice took much longer to fully appreciate afaiac (and I mean...years).

edit: boy, English is very arduous today, can't write more than 3 words without misspelling

Edited by Barbu - January 14 2020 at 11:05
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 11:08

@AFlowerKingCrimson: Well you made a factual statement about me which was in fact very wrong, so why would you be offended by me pointing that out? Good anyway that you weren't. By the way let me add that I find myself more often in controversy with you than with many others on this forum, but I actually appreciate that you say a lot that can get people into some proper controversial exchange. Thumbs Up

No, I didn't mean it as fact just my opinion. Anything that can't be proven is not a fact. :P If you said you prefer Jon Anderson over Geddy Lee that too is your opinion. If you(or I)said Geddy Lee is better than Jon then that too is an opinion since it can't be proven. I don't feel I presented anything as a fact and if you took it that way then that's on you. Wink No harm no foul though as they say.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 11:12
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ not his fault, man, he's from Philly.

More seriously, he often argue for the sake of arguing which can be quite irritating at times but he don't seem like a stubborn dude and at least he have a sense of humour (a quality that many are lacking here).

Geddy's voice? Disliked it very much at first but quickly warmed up to it (a month or so). Jon' voice took much longer to fully appreciate afaiac (and I mean...years).

edit: boy, English is very arduous today, can't write more than 3 words without misspelling

Dude, I'm right here. Lol. No, I don't think that's the case. Maybe a little and if so I'm trying to get away from that. I don't feel I ever try to rub anyones nose in anything or act superior(like say Dark Elf)so if anyone gets that from me that's not my intent. It's all about just having good conversations that are engaging and sometimes controversial but I'm not on here to boost my ego or put others down just for the thrill of it like some seem to do(Those who do that should stick with PE ;) ). Yes, I'm from the Philly area. Can you imagine how much more of a jerk I would be if I was from NJ? LOL Before any NJ fans on here get angry that's a joke. Tongue

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 14 2020 at 11:13
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 11:47
^ I'm not complai,ning, we all have a l;ittle something that others surely find annoying...I'm trying to stick to the 'live and let live' mentality as much as possible..

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 12:41
For the first time ever (?), I will not vote for Signals. It's long been my favorite Rush album because of Geddy's majestic bass tone (his best recorded tone, really), amazing songs, powerhouse synth lines.

But I want to vote for Grace Under Pressure. That's their most overall aggressive album of the '80s. It has a certain...toughness. A no-bs approach to their streamlined '80s style. "Afterimage" (now more relevant than ever), "Between the Wheels," "The Enemy Within" and "Distant Early Warning" add up to "prime Rush" for me. A perfect album.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 15:01
Hemispheres, for sure, and just edging out A Farewell To Kings.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 21:51
Hemispheres has always been my favorite. Strangely followed by A Show of Hands
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 00:38
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by JediJoker7169 JediJoker7169 wrote:

Counterparts is their strongest album. I will die on this hill.

Not by a long shot but I suppose we are all entitled to our opinions. It's not that it's a bad album(in fact it's quite good). However, I guess I  just don't see how a prog fan can think that. 

Rush were essentially a hard rock band that incorporated prog elements into their music so I think any album is fair game in that respect. If I want really complex prog there are a 1000 bands better than Rush (probably) but there is only one Rush that made their albums the way they did.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 02:45
I can understand there are people who can´t stand Geddy´s vocals. I have one friend, whose least favorite song is "Closer to the Heart". He´s a big R´N`R-fan, so I asked him to listen first Rush, he listened it and said it wasn´t that bad. But when I am asking him to listen also "Fly By Night" he said he´s got enough with the first album.

Anyway I have always loved Geddy´s vocals specially those screaming seventies vocals. It was sad to hear him singing in those latest live´s, really had lost his voice.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 12:20
^ Not as strong as it once was but he certainly haven't lost it. You should try R40, pretty solid vocal performance on this one.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 12:27
I know I'm supposed to pick one album but I can't. My personal peak is Farewell to Kings through Moving Pictures. However, I really enjoy the Power Windows through Presto era as well. 

Edited by Jeffro - January 16 2020 at 09:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123