Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prime Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which studio Rush album do you think is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [9.84%]
10 [16.39%]
23 [37.70%]
5 [8.20%]
14 [22.95%]
1 [1.64%]
2 [3.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJoker7169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 02:26
Counterparts is their strongest album. I will die on this hill.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 14:18
Love 2112,but Hemispheres is just so perfect.
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 15:56
Stunned Permanent Waves only has two votes... three now.   That said, Hem is probably my personal favorite and was the first Rush album I bought at the tender age of ten, and MP is a continually thrilling record.   I agree this would be Rush's best period but there are many fans who don't--  some think albums like GUP are among their best.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 17:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Stunned Permanent Waves only has two votes... three now.   That said, Hem is probably my personal favorite and was the first Rush album I bought at the tender age of ten, and MP is a continually thrilling record.   I agree this would be Rush's best period but there are many fans who don't--  some think albums like GUP are among their best.

It's probably my second favorite behind Hemispheres. After that Moving Pictures then AFTK then CoS then 2112 then Signals then GUP, then FBN, then HYF then PowWind, then RtB then Counterparts then Clockwork Angels then Presto then the rest. Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 19:28
So what's the deal on pronouncing Peart ?--   I always said "Pert", but I've heard "Peert" and Pairt" .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 20:05

So what's the deal on pronouncing Peart ?--   I always said "Pert", but I've heard "Peert" and Pairt" .

It's definitely "peert" as in "ear." Neil has said so himself. If you look for the youtube video where Eddie Trunk interviews him Eddie asks him that specifically.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 20:36
I cannot choose, really. So much great music in these albums. May the Great Neil Peart rest in peace.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 22:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It's definitely "peert" as in "ear." Neil has said so himself. If you look for the youtube video where Eddie Trunk interviews him Eddie asks him that specifically.

Thumbs Up

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 00:39
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I cannot choose, really. So much great music in these albums.

I can't choose either.
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 06:22
Really tough!

Rush is such a prog monster.. among other things I think because they have many (IMO) really well rounded albums.. (a hallmark in my opinion of being 'Big 6' of progressive rock, that in my case is Big 8 w/ Rush in a stellar place and Marillion).

That said, Hemispheres is such a great album! specially the outstanding first track.. but, as an album it doesn't work for me as well as others..

my ordering would be:

A Farewell to Kings
Fly By Night
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 06:31
Hemispheres for me, with Moving Pictures close on its tail.

Everything from AFTK to Signals is superb though, with subsequent albums boasting many near perfect songs. In the last year or so I've revisited Presto quite a lot. There are some classic songs on Presto, notably The Pass and Available Light.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 07:21
I'm a Farewell To Kings kinda guy...

Edited by miamiscot - January 13 2020 at 07:21
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 07:43
Too soon for me. I can't choose anything.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 08:40
Moving Pictures. Backed up by Bobby Axelrod from the show Billions.
(See below)

questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 10:43
When I was a young fanatic of the band, the fave was always Hemispheres. The older person now chooses Permanent Waves as their most consistently perfect album. 

Major points, though, to the final two albums, Snakes + Arrows and Clockwork Angels. Ferocious works.

The loss of Peart is pretty devastating. 
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 16:02
Hemispheres, followed closely by 2112.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 08:06
Not a Rush fan here but the death of Neil Peart made me listen to some Rush. Still can't stand the voice of Geddy Lee, but instrumentally they are very tight and impressive. To make up for his voice, I love Lee's bass playing. Had they done far more instrumentals, I'd have got into them probably. Vote Moving Pictures on the strength of YYZ (also the singing becomes somewhat better later in time).   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 09:17
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Not a Rush fan here but the death of Neil Peart made me listen to some Rush. Still can't stand the voice of Geddy Lee, but instrumentally they are very tight and impressive. To make up for his voice, I love Lee's bass playing. Had they done far more instrumentals, I'd have got into them probably. Vote Moving Pictures on the strength of YYZ (also the singing becomes somewhat better later in time).   

No offense to you personally but anyone who doesn't like Geddy Lee's voice should stay away from anything with Jon Anderson on it and vice versa. It wouldn't make sense to me if someone loves the voice of one of them but hates the other. If you can tolerate Jon you can tolerate Geddy. So I can only assume you don't like Yes for a similar reason(ie the vocals).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 09:24
Originally posted by JediJoker7169 JediJoker7169 wrote:

Counterparts is their strongest album. I will die on this hill.

Not by a long shot but I suppose we are all entitled to our opinions. It's not that it's a bad album(in fact it's quite good). However, I guess I  just don't see how a prog fan can think that. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 09:29
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

No offense to you personally but anyone who doesn't like Geddy Lee's voice should stay away from anything with Jon Anderson on it and vice versa. It wouldn't make sense to me if someone loves the voice of one of them but hates the other. If you can tolerate Jon you can tolerate Geddy. So I can only assume you don't like Yes for a similar reason(ie the vocals).

Very wrong. I like Jon a lot as a singer. He just sounds far more relaxed and confident about what he's doing to me. Of course this is all subjective, but surely there is a clear difference between them, and whether it's small or big, it can make all the difference - as it does to me. Appreciation generally doesn't work like this: "X is similar to Y whom I like => I like X, too".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>