Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog fans in their 70's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog fans in their 70's
    Posted: January 12 2020 at 13:03
Back in the day was the heyday of prog
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 14:23
Remembering back to a time when the major prog bands were rather quirky rock bands so totally different then for say the west coast American rock and roll bands

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 17:56
It seems to me this should have been titled "prog fans in the seventies."
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 18:08
Based on the title and the direction the conversation took, clearly it's "Prog fans in THEIR 70's". anyone under 70 would have gone a different way. Right Gramps??  LOL

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 18:28
Right you are
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 18:42
Well, then consider me lost. LOL
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 20:39
I'll get there in eight years. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 00:35
Are you warm enough?

ARE YOU WARM ENOUGH?

ARE YOU WARM ENOUGH?

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 13 2020 at 00:36
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 01:50
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It seems to me this should have been titled "prog fans in the seventies."

Came here for wise nostalgia from the sages who were there when the magic was formulated.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 04:43
I'm in my 70s (just) and was there at the very start of prog. I was in Cambridge in the late 60s, then in SE London during the early 70s. I suspect I was one of the very first prog fans.
I was never into early Floyd or The Moody Blues; my favourite bands were Fairport Convention and The Nice. I liked Procol Harum and Family's early albums, but never thought of them as true prog. The first offerings from Genesis, Caravan, Yes, Jethro Tull and Floyd do nothing for me. I did buy ITCOTCK and initially found it interesting, but went off it (and KC) completely very quickly and VDGG have never done anything for me, as I cannot stand Hamill's vocal style.
For me, prog really found its feet in the very early 70s, with bands like Mannfred Mann's Earthband, Strawbs (as a prog band), Renaissance and Gentle Giant launching, The Nice morphing into ELP and the big six finding their prog feet.
The 60s set the scene, but the 70s were when prog became the powerhouse it was (and to some extent, still is).
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 05:40
I'm heading for my 60s rapidly but not quite that old yet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 09:33
The first album I actually bought was Jefferson Airplane's Volunteers. Loved the anti establishment vibe.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 10:24
To be honest I'm surprised there's anyone in their seventies on this site. By the looks of this thread though there appears to be about three(so far). I myself am not quite fifty so I still have a little over 20 years to go. Tongue

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 13 2020 at 10:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 11:04
Getting to see some of the bands in their heyday was special and not so expensive.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 14:19
Damn..you are even more ancient than me.

Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 17:46
Hi,

I'm probably the odd man out ... in this group ... music for me, after having been in Portugal until I was 9 and then in Brazil until I was 15, and then come to America, I started getting into a lot of music back in the mid 60's and I suppose that the Beatles and Rolling Stones were very valuable, but then so was Maria Bethania, and a huge number of Brazilians, some that became well known, and others that were lost to time and not considered important ... but at least Villa Lobos was remembered!

Music for me, was already a "progressive" affair ... you did not hear "Carcara" by Maria Bethania ... and not realize the incredible emotional pull and strength of that song and its lyrics ... it made the guy in "Apocalypse Now" seem fat and bloated just because he had the money to show what she sang about, in a movie to shock the sh*t out of our imaginations.

Movies were important, to bust a lot of your ideas and mind in those days, but music was there before and already had a lot of history and material that made a lot of polka dot bikini music sound really stupid and sick ... it wasn't even fun at all ... and it merely showed the commercial side obviously trying to scam money fast and furiously when you saw the media tear into Maria Bethania and so many others for doing the things they were doing ... all of you folks that "were" and "became" progressive, completely ignored the content of the music ... for an imaginary ideal that called it "progressive" when ITCOTCK is as much a poetic album as it is a political album, even though things are beautifully masked ... to sound like poetry ... and not make a political statement ... something that was the life of a lot of Hyde Park shows, that we continually ignore ... we remember some bands were there, but we intentionally ignore a handful of them, and I find the complete leaving behind of bands like The Edgar Broughton Band, and then folks like Roy Harper ... an incredible sad story ... Roy is a magnificent poet and writer ... but no one would give him a chance because if you asked for one of his "hits", he probably would throw his bottle of beer at you and tell you to leave!

We still, here, can not discuss these last two ...like their words don't mean sh*t ... and we think the heavens of a PG this or that ... when his words are nothing compared to the real thing!

I'm not angry ... it's the same thing in all the arts ... there are as many more folks that are not appreciated that some "prog" and "progressive" folks will never listen to ... because it will create a break on their ideas of the "prog" and "progressive" concepts in their head ... but all of the arts in the 1950's and 1960's were specially progressive and experimental, which helped determine the 1970's ... however, the 1970's was way more about the sales and the money than it was about the arts ... so someone saying that this band or that band for me were the big 5, or the big poop ... is just as silly and ridiculous as any other comment, the kind of stuff that some folks don't like me talking about and writing, as I do about it.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 00:14
Grumpy old fooker alert! ^ sanctemonious wingeing is his speciality, misery, misery...

Edited by M27Barney - January 14 2020 at 00:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 11:00
Most 70 year olds have moved beyond bashing folks
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 11:05
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Something everyone should have outgrown by the time they are 25 but of course that's not always the case.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 12:22
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Something everyone should have outgrown by the time they are 25 but of course that's not always the case.

I was not attacking mosh coz of his age.I used it as a label to hang the word sanctimonious off....his posts sre so rediculously condescending...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>