Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog fans in their 70's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 13:00
After a few moments on Wikipedia, I present the following information:

Robert Fripp:  16 May 1946 (age 73)

Steve Howe:  8 April 1947 (age 72)

Jon Anderson:  25 October 1944 (age 75)

Steve Hackett:  12 February 1950 (age 69)

Rick Wakeman:  18 May 1949 (age 70)

John McLaughlin:  4 January 1942 (age 78)

Mel Collins:  5 September 1947 (age 72)

Brian Eno:  15 May 1948 (age 71)

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 13:09
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Most 70 year olds have moved beyond bashing folks

Thought it was the opposite: the older you get, the more pissed off and annoyed you are.

Looking at my uncles (all 70+) that seem quite true since it looks to me that they have only one thing in mind...War! jealously, resentment and fighting each other taking much of their time. Hope I won't be like them.

'Old man what the hell you gonna kill next, old timer who you gonna kill next'

edit: thinking of it, they are rather zen now since they don't really talk to each other anymore...it was far worse when they were in their sixties.

Edited by Barbu - January 14 2020 at 13:29
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 13:20
SmileI saw Yes and the Eagles together in Richmond, Virginia. Not really sure if the notion of prog rock existed at the time. To tell the truth I am not even sure of the year.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 14:42

SmileI saw Yes and the Eagles together in Richmond, Virginia. Not really sure if the notion of prog rock existed at the time. To tell the truth I am not even sure of the year.

I saw that tour, Sept 22, 1972....CTTE tour.  It was amazing!  And no, there was not a single person who called Yes "prog rock" back then.  Art rock, theater rock etc.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 15:57

I think that was the Eagles first US tour so 1972(CTTE tour).  You may have forgotten but forgotten yesterdays hasn't forgotten. ;) http://forgotten-yesterdays.com/dates.asp?qbandid=1&qdec=1970
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 16:00
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I saw that tour, Sept 22, 1972....CTTE tour.  It was amazing!  And no, there was not a single person who called Yes "prog rock" back then.  Art rock, theater rock etc.  

I think the punks invented the term "prog rock" in the late seventies. The term progressive rock was definitely used by 72 but nobody seemed to have abreviated it until later. I think the punks were using it as a sort of pejorative though.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 14 2020 at 16:01
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 22:12
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I'm in my 70s (just) and was there at the very start of prog. I was in Cambridge in the late 60s, then in SE London during the early 70s. I suspect I was one of the very first prog fans.
I was never into early Floyd or The Moody Blues; my favourite bands were Fairport Convention and The Nice. I liked Procol Harum and Family's early albums, but never thought of them as true prog. The first offerings from Genesis, Caravan, Yes, Jethro Tull and Floyd do nothing for me. I did buy ITCOTCK and initially found it interesting, but went off it (and KC) completely very quickly and VDGG have never done anything for me, as I cannot stand Hamill's vocal style.
For me, prog really found its feet in the very early 70s, with bands like Mannfred Mann's Earthband, Strawbs (as a prog band), Renaissance and Gentle Giant launching, The Nice morphing into ELP and the big six finding their prog feet.
The 60s set the scene, but the 70s were when prog became the powerhouse it was (and to some extent, still is).

The wisdom that comes from years of experience! Hats off!

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 03:46
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think the punks invented the term "prog rock" in the late seventies. The term progressive rock was definitely used by 72 but nobody seemed to have abreviated it until later. I think the punks were using it as a sort of pejorative though.

Can't imagine this to be true. I mean, I don't have any better information, but as far as my experience with English language and its native speakers goes, no way can people say "progressive" through 5+ years without making "prog" of it!  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 14:18
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Grumpy old fooker alert! ^ sanctemonious wingeing is his speciality, misery, misery...

Good thing you are not smart enough to even comment on any part of the posting that makes sense ... it just shows how much you have heard over the years, and how much experience you have not attained ... to the point that all you can say is that someone is this and that ... and you forgot to look at the mirror.

I love and respect the music, and still have a very large collection.

I appreciate its artistry ... and all you have is a sanctimonious comment about nothing ... I'm not important ... the music and its content IS. And you changing the subject to me, is pathetic! And an insult to "progressive" music and this forum.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 16:48
Can we stick to music and our experiences of it? 
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 12:01
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Can't imagine this to be true. I mean, I don't have any better information, but as far as my experience with English language and its native speakers goes, no way can people say "progressive" through 5+ years without making "prog" of it!  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12