Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Fans in Our 60's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 12:15
I am 68. The first LP I bought was A Saucerful of Secrets (PF) in 1968. And a Moody Blues single in 1967. And more than 2400 progrock albums since.
I love the early 70s prog and the ongoing revival everywhere in the world.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 12:58
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

I am 68. The first LP I bought was A Saucerful of Secrets (PF) in 1968. And a Moody Blues single in 1967. And more than 2400 progrock albums since.
I love the early 70s prog and the ongoing revival everywhere in the world.
You have almost as many Prog-Rock albums as I have in total across every genre of music. Smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 13:02
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well..I'm 68....I started before anything was called prog.....I suppose the first full blown prog thing was ITCOTCK (1969) in very early 1970...at least that's when I bought it. But I was already listening to Moody Blues, Traffic, Procol Harum, The Nice, Floyd, etc.

I'm a grumpy old music fan, and, like the late Peter Banks, I hate the word "prog."  Completely. 

It used to be called "art rock" and "theater rock".   Jazz-rock fusion was called "fusion."  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
sduck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 21:18
I guess I qualify. I'm 62. First thing that I knew was prog - and I LIKED it! - was The Court of the Crimson King, playing on the local college FM station (WVBR in Ithaca, NY). 

Saw Yes a few years later, on their Tales tour, and have seen tons of prog shows since then. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 22:25
Originally posted by sduck sduck wrote:

I guess I qualify. I'm 62. First thing that I knew was prog - and I LIKED it! - was The Court of the Crimson King, playing on the local college FM station (WVBR in Ithaca, NY). 

Saw Yes a few years later, on their Tales tour, and have seen tons of prog shows since then. 

Welcome to PA!  I missed the Tales tour, interestingly, due to the oil boycott of the 1970s.  Yes didn't have enough truck fuel for their massive stage fleet to go from Chicago to Champaign, Illinois USA where I was at college at the time. 

Interestingly, that inspired me to pursue a life-long engineering/science career in alternative energy!  I told this to Jon Anderson backstage at a concert, he gave me a big smile!  

*sigh* I only wish they had the foresight to film TFTO and The Lamb tours!  And a bunch more!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 08:16
61. Became a fan when I heard ELP Tarkus at my neighbor's house. Of course, it wasn't called "prog" back then -- it was just mainstream rock 'n roll. Saw Crimson, Yes, Floyd, Tull, Roxy, and many other's live during the 70's in Pittsburgh's arenas and theaters. The local radio station, WYDD, "Freeform Rock" dished up a steady flow of what would we now recognize as classic prog. In the late 70's and 80's, my tastes steered more towards J/R fusion. The 90's were re-living the past as I couldn't find much new stuff I liked. I started searching out and listening to the newer, emerging prog bands in the 00's and 10's, thanks in part, to the many prog sites on the web -- including PA!
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 13:25
60.My good buddy's older brother played Tarkus and To our Children.....alot.Guess they had just come out.So those two got me started.My very first album, I myself bought, was an LP the English soccer squad had recorded before world cup in Mexico in 70 I believe.Strange I would get that one, as I am Danish. :-) 
Shake & bake.
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 17:20
Just turned 60 last year, I started listening to Prog music mostly on the radio back in Argentina, there were a few prog bands in my country, some just imitating British bands but others had really original ideas and sound, but the first big impression was no other than Pink Floyd and The Dark Side of the Moon. After that nothing else but prog occupied my mind, to this very day.
Long live Progresive music!
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cinema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 05:29
I’m 60 and became a huge prog fan in 1973 after discovering the Fragile album from Yes. Haven’t looked back since.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 11:35
60. As I mentioned, I discovered Pink Floyd in 1972. The signs were already showing up for two years that I would become a prog fan. I found a single by Ekseption when I was 9 or 10 years old that I played over and over again. After listening for two years to top 40 music I switched to LP's. I got Relics for my 13th birthday and I purchased Dark Side of the Moon a few weeks after its release.
At 14, I was laying in bed with an earphone to listen to a program on Veronica (a pirate broadcasting station, operational between 1960 and 1974) between 10 and 11 PM.. Thus I discovered Genesis and Mike Oldfield. The rest is history.
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 19:25
63. My early encounters with The Moody Blues sort of set the stage. Then I heard The Yes Album in 1972 and I was hooked on Prog from then on.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 10:58
Tales of Mystery and Imagination Edgar Allan Poe, Chocolate Kings, and A Trick of the Tail started me off on my prog journey.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jzrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 18:27
II am 61 and its hard to say exactly as I remember hearing songs on the radio I liked .
But I think my real moment was when my friends brother who was like 4 years older played Tarkus for me.
I was in between 8th grade and high school.
That jump started by appreciation for prog music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 02:21
My introduction to prog was Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells with the bands Camel and Renaissance following on closely behind.

I didn't buy my first Pink Floyd album until the mid 1990's though and I bought my first Caravan album around 2010/11 when I first went online. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 26 2020 at 02:24
integerspin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote integerspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 11:56
Not sure what mine was, most likely King Crimson.
When I was at junior school I heard all the 60's pop stuff and never really gave it  a lot of thought.
When I went to Secondary school, within days of going,  I was going to a girls house at dinner time. She lived close to the school and went home for dinner. Her parents were at work so she used to play her sisters records and wind the volume right up, black sabbath, king crimson, pink floyd... We were 11!

Confusion will be my epitaph
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 12:03
Originally posted by integerspin integerspin wrote:

Not sure what mine was, most likely King Crimson.
When I was at junior school I heard all the 60's pop stuff and never really gave it  a lot of thought.
When I went to Secondary school, within days of going,  I was going to a girls house at dinner time. She lived close to the school and went home for dinner. Her parents were at work so she used to play her sisters records and wind the volume right up, black sabbath, king crimson, pink floyd... We were 11!

I had a friend at school when I was about 13 who used to play me Hard Rock albums by Hawkwind, Wishbone Ash, Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, but I was too young to appreciate them back then. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 27 2020 at 12:03
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 08:07
I've held off writing on this forum because I knew it was going to be more than a quick couple of sentences.
So for those interested, here is my journey. If not, please move along, nothing to see here.
I was raised on crooners -- Jim Nabors, Mario Lanza, Al Martino, etc. BUT my dad liked good country -- Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, etc. plus a lot of pop music of the 60s. He also loved Roy Orbison. (And polkas, eee-eye-eee-eye-oh, no). And my mom loved Elvis, even took me to see him in his rhinestone suit a couple of years before his passing.
The first song that really hit me hard, when I was 7 or 8 years old, was "Puff the Magic Dragon" by Peter, Paul and Mary. It made me cry. From that day on, I liked songs that were serious or melancholy. Other favorites as I grew up were "Indian Reservation" by the Raiders, "Timothy" by the Buoys (if you've never heard this song, give it a listen and the lyrics will stun you), "Light My Fire" by the Doors and then I discovered Simon & Garfunkel, which changed my life.
The first album I ever bought was "Sounds of Silence," which led me to get the rest of their albums, which I still love today. That led me into other folk artists like Al Stewart, John Martyn, Nick Drake, Phil Ochs, Bob Dylan, Jim Croce, Cat Stevens, Shawn Phillips, Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Richard Thompson and the like.
Then I discovered Elton John, which changed my life. I listened to his s/t album and was blown away. I then bought Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across The Water (IMHO one of the greatest albums ever made) and everything he did up until Caribou, which I hated. But the big moment for me came on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road -- "Funeral For A Friend" is an all-out prog song and my fave at the time. "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" posed a problem though. It was pretty damn close to hard rock, which until that point I'd shied away from. Now I had to decide, did I like it or not? I did.
I had shunned Zeppelin etc.., buying my parents' line that "it's just screaming." When I told this to my best friend who was trying to get my to listen to Zeppelin, he replied, "Yes, but it's GREAT screaming." That changed the way I looked at things and I gave it a spin. Holy f---k Batman! So this is what I've been missing.
From that point on I absorved everything I could get my hands on. In one year I went from "Your Song" to "The End" by the Doors, "DOA" by Bloodrock and "Dead Babies" by Alice Cooper. (My parents were very impressed).
The next two albums that really impacted me were Jethro Tull "Aqualung," which is in my Top 10 of all time, and Spirit "The Family That Plays Together." Both albums got me interested in cover art, and Spirit is the first group I ever saw in concert -- my mom had to drive me to the show, which was in a high school gymnasium!
But my life changed once and for all when I took "Houses of the Holy" to my buddy's house. Before we put it on, he wanted me to hear something he'd just gotten, an album by a group called King Crimson. I was blown away like never before. The album was even crazier than the cover art. "21st Century Schizoid Man" blew me away, "I Talk to the Wind" was beautiful beyond belief and "Epitaph" was the greatest song I'd ever heard. I made a cassette tape of "Epitaph" recorded over and over; I used to go to sleep listening to it with headphones on.
When my friend loved "Houses of the Holy," I proposed a swap -- and the fool accepted. I remember practically skipping on clouds as I walked home from his house, thinking what a sucker he was. I still think so today, even though I do love "Houses of the Holy."
Then it was off to college in Florida, where my pool-playing abilities earned me extra cash that I promptly spent at Spec's record store in Lakeland. I went to school with a couple dozen albums and came home with nearly 200! I would go to the store, start at the letter A and just look for any album that had the following combination:  A cool cover, 4 or less songs per side, and musicians who played multiple instruments. Mellotrons were desirable. I remember one great purchase with which I discovered Ange, Camel and Caravan all at one time!
Using my method, I found groups like Eloy, Pulsar, Sensations Fix and so on. High school friends introduced me to Hawkwind and Pink Floyd.
After 1979, I felt like prog had died and I hated what happened to the music scene. I lucked into discovering Marillion and Suzanne Vega on the same day by listening to latenight college radio and realized there was good music still out there. Coincidentally, Marillion played shortly after and I attended the show. While in line, a couple of guys who turned out to be in the band Discipline told me of the prog underground and about John Collinge's Progresssion magazine.
A whole new world opened and I've never looked back.
Some of my favorite newer prog groups are Anglagard, Anekdoten, The Psychedlic Ensemble, Edison's Children, Phideaux and although they're now defunct, my all-time faves Porcupine Tree.
One group that should be on prog archives as prog-related is dada. Check out "Puzzle," "A Friend of Pat Robertson," "A Trip With My Dad," "Feel Me" or "Ask The Wind" and see what I mean. They're my next-favorite group of all-time.
My fave from the old days? King Crimson. I literally teared up hearing them do material from their classic albums when I saw them in Cleveland a couple of years ago. Their live version of "The Letters" was chilling and better than any I've heard.
Today as I write this I am halfway to age 63 and have more than 3,300 albums in my collection, the vast majority of which are prog or prog-related.
I love this website for all the good music I've discovered through it.
Thanks for listening!

PROGMATIC
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 08:20
With 3,300 albums, you have 700 albums more than I have, although only around 7% of my collection (at the most) are genuine prog albums. Smile
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 08:27
Thanks for reading my missive from hell.
PROGMATIC
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 08:33
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Thanks for reading my missive from hell.

There's a whole wealth of great artists mentioned in your long message. It appears we have very similar tastes in music. So many great artists, and so little time to listen to them all. I can quite easily spend up to four hours listening to and writing a review for just one album. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>