Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Renaissance Turn Of The Cards re-issue coming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaissance Turn Of The Cards re-issue coming
    Posted: January 13 2020 at 13:05

Following re-issues of Prologue, Ashes Are Burning, A Song For All Seasons, and Novella, Turn of the Cards has been announced for release in March 2020.

This time it will be a 4 disc edition of the album!

DISC ONE: CD

TURN OF THE CARDS RE-MASTERED

1. RUNNING HARD
2. I THINK OF YOU
3. THINGS I DON’T UNDERSTAND
4. BLACK FLAME
5. COLD IS BEING
6. MOTHER RUSSIA
BONUS TRACKS
7. EVERYBODY NEEDS A FRIEND
(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)

RECORDED AT DE LANE LEA STUDIOS,
WEMBLEY ON 23RD MARCH 1974

8. MOTHER RUSSIA (SINGLE EDIT) (PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
9. THINGS I DON’T UNDERSTAND
(NEW STEREO MIX)
10. BLACK FLAME (NEW STEREO MIX)
11. MOTHER RUSSIA (NEW STEREO MIX)

DISC TWO: CD

LIVE AT THE ACADEMY OF MUSIC, NYC 17TH MAY 1974

1. CAN YOU UNDERSTAND (LIVE 1974)
2. BLACK FLAME (LIVE 1974)
3. CARPET OF THE SUN (LIVE 1974)
4. COLD IS BEING (LIVE 1974)
5. THINGS I DON’T UNDERSTAND
(LIVE 1974)
6. RUNNING HARD (LIVE 1974)

DISC THREE: CD

LIVE AT THE ACADEMY OF MUSIC, NYC 17TH MAY 1974

1. ASHES ARE BURNING (LIVE 1974)
2. MOTHER RUSSIA (LIVE 1974)
3. PROLOGUE (LIVE 1974)

DISC FOUR: DVD
TURN OF THE CARDS 5.1 SURROUND SOUND & HIGH-RESOLUTION STEREO MIXES

1. RUNNING HARD
(5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX)
2. I THINK OF YOU
(5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX)
3. THINGS I DON’T UNDERSTAND
(5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX)
4. BLACK FLAME
(5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX)
5. COLD IS BEING
(5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX)
6. MOTHER RUSSIA
(5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX)

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 21:23
sounds interesting. Isn't live at Academy of Music already available as a legit release?  
It also seems like the DVD is not actually of a live perfromance. correct, but just a medium for a surround sound release.
Curious about "Everybody needs a friend", an actually unreleased Renaissance track.  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 00:43
Looked a but pricey so its a hard pass from me. As said above the DVD is just a another surround sound only DVD and I've got fed up of with those as I don't have a surround sound system.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 00:57
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

sounds interesting. Isn't live at Academy of Music already available as a legit release?  
It also seems like the DVD is not actually of a live perfromance. correct, but just a medium for a surround sound release.
Curious about "Everybody needs a friend", an actually unreleased Renaissance track.  

Yeah, the most interesting inclusion to me is the unreleased studio track "Everybody needs a friend".

The DVD included seems indeed to be a DVD-Audio disc with the studio album mixed in surround sound.

I don't know if this live recording is already available, that may very well be the case.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 01:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Looked a but pricey so its a hard pass from me. As said above the DVD is just a another surround sound only DVD and I've got fed up of with those as I don't have a surround sound system.

I agree 100%. I honestly don't see the point of surround sound mixes of music (as opposed to moves, where I can see the point), and like you I also don't have the equipment to play them. If they offered this as a three disc set without the DVD, I would have preferred it.

It is a bit pricey, yes. But since I already have the previous entries in the series, I have got to have this one as well.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 01:59
I have a CD of this album, and I think I have the original vinyl somewhere, which I bought about 15 years ago, second hand. It's a good album, certainly in the Rennasiance top 3, but it's not worth owning every re-issue on every available format. I'm not sure any album is, to be frank.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 07:55
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I have a CD of this album, and I think I have the original vinyl somewhere, which I bought about 15 years ago, second hand. It's a good album, certainly in the Rennasiance top 3, but it's not worth owning every re-issue on every available format. I'm not sure any album is, to be frank.

Yeah, if I already had the album on CD I would probably not bother with this re-issue. But since I don't have it previously, indeed until recently I had no Renaissance CDs, I'm picking these re-issues up now as they come. I have Prologue, Ashes Are Burning, A Song For All Seasons, and Novella. Pre-ordered Turn Of The Cards.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 08:35
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Yeah, if I already had the album on CD I would probably not bother with this re-issue. But since I don't have it previously, indeed until recently I had no Renaissance CDs, I'm picking these re-issues up now as they come. I have Prologue, Ashes Are Burning, A Song For All Seasons, and Novella. Pre-ordered Turn Of The Cards.

You have the same Renaissance albums as I have. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 08:45

Clap Outstanding. Better late than never.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 09:30
I bought Renaissance' Turn of the Cards years ago from Selectadisc in Nottingham, but as soon as I left the store I realised they'd given me the wrong CD. I took it back into the shop and they gave me my money back because they didn't have a replacement copy. It's been an unlucky turn of the cards for me because I still haven't managed to buy the Turn of the Cards album on CD again till this day. Unhappy

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 14 2020 at 09:46
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 10:22

Yeah, the most interesting inclusion to me is the unreleased studio track "Everybody needs a friend".

The DVD included seems indeed to be a DVD-Audio disc with the studio album mixed in surround sound.

I don't know if this live recording is already available, that may very well be the case.

probably I'll just wait for the youtube version of the unreleased song!
What's disappointing but not surprising is how few of these unreleased tracks there are from their golden age.  But honestly I think the band spent so much time touring that it was hard enough to come up with 40 mins of music annually, let alone extra cuts.  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 13:04

I really like the re-issues from Esoteric Recordings of various classic bands. When it comes to Renaissance what was surprising was that they have not come in chronological order. They started with Prologue and Ashes Are Burning (which were both single disc, in digipacks), but then they jumped to A Song For All Seasons (which was a three disc set in a clamshell box). Then came Novella (also a three disc set), and now Turn Of The Cards (a four disc set)! What comes next in the series I wonder?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:50

probably I'll just wait for the youtube version of the unreleased song!
What's disappointing but not surprising is how few of these unreleased tracks there are from their golden age.  But honestly I think the band spent so much time touring that it was hard enough to come up with 40 mins of music annually, let alone extra cuts.  

Everybody Needs a Friend is a cover of the song by Wishbone Ash. The version by Renaissance is better than the original.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 16:46
oh cool
they had a bit of a relationship with Wishbone via Andy Powell, who played lead guitar on the studio version if "Ashes".  If memory serves, they may have returned the favor somewhere along the way by appearing on a Wishbone album, but not sure
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 16:50

oh cool
they had a bit of a relationship with Wishbone via Andy Powell, who played lead guitar on the studio version if "Ashes".  If memory serves, they may have returned the favor somewhere along the way by appearing on a Wishbone album, but not sure

just listened on youtube.  A bit more amped than most of what they were doing back then.  It's obviously a rough version, but stylistically falls a bit more in line with Ashes than TOTC IMO
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 17:37
hmm...the one Renaissance album that simply never really grabbed me...Embarrassed
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 07:21
to me, Turn of the Cards, Ashes are Burning, and Song for all Seasons are the best Renaissance studio albums
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 13:48
to me. Scheherazade.. Ashes..and Prologue (with its massively badass opening and closing numbers sandwiching the typical cute inoffensive displays of Annie's awesomeness.. Sounds of the Sea baby)
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 13:57
I love her inoffensive numbers like "Spare some Love" and "On the Frontier" as much as the classics  Tongue
love that sunny hippy happy stuff
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2020 at 14:03
oh yeah.. you know how much I adore On the Frontier' think I had listed it as one of my favorite song of theirs in some poll in the hazy past.

Back to it though.. honestly Ken.. I have never really put a finger why Turn of the Card never connected with me. Perhaps it is it IMO lacks that massively standout song as all their others do... so the album to me is not bad.. not offensive...not merely inoffensive.. but simply bland..

Edited by micky - June 08 2020 at 14:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>